Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Laser Green 205 1.6 Gti

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

calvinhorse

calvinhorse
  • Drivers+
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Calvin
Nice work Thomas!

Gaz205

Gaz205
  • Drivers
  • 337 posts
  • Name:Gareth
I've scrapped better 😉

A very rare gem, you're very lucky and skilful to bring it up to that standard

dale205mills

dale205mills
  • Drivers+
  • 467 posts
Garage View Garage
Please stop updating Tom, you are make me jealous off not touching my silver 205, I would really look at selling my silver 205 to buy your lazer 205, keep up the good work pal as the nights are coming in and we all need to see the projects coming threw over the winter.

speno

speno
  • Drivers
  • 450 posts
  • Name:Spencer
Garage View Garage

One of the best things about Tom's car is that it's get driven  and its a credit to him for this . Many folk would never drive it !

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
Cheers Spen, I do enjoy driving it, its fun to drive, OK its not the quickest thing out there, and you have to work at it, which makes it all the more enjoyable. In honesty I don't just drive it, I drive the wheels off it, thats what the 205 GTI has always been all about! Its a good contrast to modern cars, a roundabout I can drive round in my BMW at 60mph whilst talking on the handsfree bluetooth and altering the music with the Idrive with one hand, in the 205 50mph is a full attack both hands required tyres chirping experience!!
But I have to be honest that as the prices are going skywards for nice 205's, I'm starting to get nervous about leaving it anywhere. Its partly the reason I've got the 206 as its something I can use, run miles up on it, and I can leave it places without worrying too much about it.

speno

speno
  • Drivers
  • 450 posts
  • Name:Spencer
Garage View Garage

Why not leave at my house ;o) 

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
Sounds OK, will you leave me Porsche to use instead? LOL!

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,747 posts
Garage View Garage

Cheers Spen, I do enjoy driving it, its fun to drive, OK its not the quickest thing out there, and you have to work at it, which makes it all the more enjoyable. In honesty I don't just drive it, I drive the wheels off it, thats what the 205 GTI has always been all about!

Hear, hear!

camgti

camgti
  • Drivers+
  • 523 posts
  • Name:Cameron
Great worte up Tom.

Ive just spent the past 2 days reading each page.

Sorry to hear about John and the 106. Things happen for one reason or another though.

I have an old friend who is leaving his 205 with me when he goes (ill pay his son for it!) and its in the same shale with half the miles. I hole one day I will keep it looking like yours.

Even here in OZ they are starting to fetch silly money and they are rare as. I too would be worried about parking it. You could always fit a tracker to it. A tracker wont help grandma having a head on with it when parken because shes having a heart attack.

Great job. Gald to see you enjoying it.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
So an update here. First off I've spent far too long thanks to Photo Bucket reviving this thread. But I enjoy reading it myself as its a nice diary of the progress.

Hopefully most photos are back to where they should be now.

Anyway fast forward from last October. The car stayed in hibernation this year until early June. What with the 206 GT to keep me busy, and my red 205 turbo I had plenty on with cars as it was.

So as "found" early June! Nice to be able to tax the car and then go and drive it home!

36423558445_97fa77e44e_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

35588287234_7734563bce_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36378339746_b5201c45b9_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Not a huge amount to do to the car these days, which is nice, or so I thought...

I had a few jobs in mind I wanted to tackle before Pugfest. My polished cam cover cost me a mark or two, as did my wheels as the centres were not diamond cut, those of you with good memory will remember I baulked at the cost when I first did the work on the car back in 2014.

So I had a spare cam cover bead blasted and then lacquered in a matt etch lacquer from Frosts specifically for bare alloy castings. The finish looks good and should protect the surface from corrosion.

36423556525_8ca41c2391_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

I got hold of another set of wheels and got them refurbished and diamond cut locally for a Yorkshireman acceptable price. However this wasn't as straight forward as it might have been, I had the wheels done a few weeks in advance and they then stayed wrapped in bubble wrap awaiting swapping tyres over. When I unwrapped them a few days before Pugfest to do this I found the rim section was dry lacquer on the majority. The place that did them were in fairness very good about it and sorted them out, but it was looking a close run thing with Pugfest only a couple of days away in the end.

36286858351_bf7bce3b1a_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Next up was Cal's wedding. Sarah was going to the wedding in a white 205 from her parents, I asked what the bridesmaids were doing, another 205 had to be done! A grand day out and no mistake.

35588286424_a5e821c261_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Anyway, as I was just saying, not much to do, famous last words....

36026816970_bc93e28d29_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

On the way home from the wedding the following day all of a sudden the temp gauge started running hot. Its never done this. To save me typing the saga out its documented in this thread-
http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=170906

In summary I ended up changing (in order) the thermostat, the expansion tank cap, the coolant sender for the dash, mucho flushing out, the water pump, the rad fan switch, and the thermostat (again) which finally cured it. With all this in the couple of weeks before Pugfest when I really wanted to be cleaning it and not chasing a fault.

With it running right, I could go back to my show prep.

Bearing in mind the engine and box has never been removed from the car, the sump and the gearbox end cover were looking a little shabby.

The gearbox end cover had a light shotblast and then a scrape of gobbo to lose some of the bad pitting. Sprayed in a matt silver engine lacquer it then went in the oven to cure it off whilst the wife was out :ph34r: !
36026816810_10f600ae71_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr
36255144282_fc479e8c9d_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

The sump got much the same treatment, DA'd off and then painted, although it wouldn't fit in the oven!

36423553395_1f28550393_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

In between all this I had a day out of the pre Pugfest cleaning days and went and picked this up, non sunroof Graphite grey F reg 1.9, owned by Barry a now retired work colleague for the past 19 years. Largely original and unmessed with, it needs a few bits doing that I'll get around to as and when.

36378339776_8a4a9d9395_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Next up, tyres swapped and the diamond cut wheels on the car

36255140532_fb89ac9007_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Some more cleaning, we had to do her MINI first...
36423558025_b84d89d2b3_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Finally about as ready as it was going to get! I do like this photo.

36378340486_3e4e0b8bfa_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
So Pugfest time.

In addition to the work on the green car it struck me as a good idea to take more than one. Thanks to fellow Yorkshire & Derbyshire Bastards ™ members Calvin and Steve we had a convoy!

36423558555_37c08466b9_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

And so to Prescott. Nice to have all 3 there I must say. The usual BBQ Beer and Lawnmower activities on Saturday afternoon/evening.

34861484124_e1fcbc24f4_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Sunday morning got the car into place and started the usual re-cleaning. At this point the spirited drive through Warwickshire and Gloucestershire with our youth chasing me didn't seem such a good plan trying to get rid of the dead flies.

36286858661_8c5f60261c_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

A nice thing this year was the judges were doing their thing starting at 11am. This meant rather than spend nearly all day rubbing away with a cloth there was a couple of hours to do, and then I could relax and have a wander round the show.

I'd love to say I was chilled out and not bothered by the outcome but that would be a bare faced lie! 2015 3rd place show and shine standard, 2016 2nd place show and shine standard, so for 2017 I really did want to bag the top spot.

35588286654_1c8a125c7f_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36026818730_cafef5d5cf_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36026819420_7fa20c1957_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Chuffed didn't cover it really, seeing as in 2015 I put it in the judging last minute just to see how it did, I'm mega pleased with how the car has come on, even though I still look round other cars and think they are better than mine, I guess we all do that to some extent as you know every last defect on your own car.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
So following Pugfest not an awful lot else to write.

Ashover show was next, a good day out as per previous years.

36255144422_42e69beb1a_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Next up is the Rotherham show early September, Paul and I enjoyed this last year, and I won 3rd place in the post 90 class, so be interested to see if I can improve upon this.

calvinhorse

calvinhorse
  • Drivers+
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Calvin
A well deserved win at pugfest, this car is absolutely stunning, credit to you mate

acox99

acox99
  • Drivers+
  • 756 posts
  • Name:Alastair Cox
Garage View Garage
Where does your gauge usually sit? Mine is rock solid mid way weather it's driven hard or pootled about.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
If you number the "dashes" 0-1-2-3 etc then it used to run between 3 and 4. It now runs on or just above 4. But with the faulty stat it would go right up to nearly red as the water wasn't circulating through the radiator properly.

acox99

acox99
  • Drivers+
  • 756 posts
  • Name:Alastair Cox
Garage View Garage
About the same as mine then. I put a higher temp stat in mine as I found it used to run too cold.

Andya

Andya
  • Passengers
  • 15 posts
  • Name:Andy

Loving this thread, the diamond cut wheels look great!

Would the Goodyear tyres have been original fitment when new? I want to get a second set of wheels and tyres and want to try to get what would have been fitted as standard or as near as possible?

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
Pirelli or Michelin I believe would have been standard. However, I am much more interested in how it drives than what would be the correct tyre, so I went for a choice between the only two "A" wet grip rated tyres in the correct size currently available, which are a Continental or the Goodyear. You can probably still buy a Pirelli P6000 but they are utterly dreadful. The only Michelin in the size is an ECO based tyre, I wanted performance not economy hence the Goodyear. If you look you will find that the choice of new tyres in 14" is not that plentiful any more.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts
  • Name:Mei

I would not be surprised if the Newest iteration of the Michelin Energy grips as well as the MXV did back in the day, a friend did try them on his gti not so long ago wand was pleased with them.

Granted, probably not suitable for a modified 205 but quite good on a standard one.