• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GazRallye

Dim Lights

GazRallye

When my XS is idling the headlights go dimmer, when you rev the engine they brighten up. Also i've noticed when i'm driving along sometimes they flicker, not so badly that they go off or anything but enough to be noticeable.

Could the alternator be on its way out? Theres a new belt on it that is tensioned right.

Or could the battery be at fault?

cheers

welshpug

definitely an alternator fault, have you checked the charging rate?

GazRallye

Cheers, i'll have a poke around with the multimeter tomorrow, but what exactly do i need to check?

-the output from the alternator, (around 14v?)

-the output from the battery with engine on and off (values?)

welshpug

yep, with the ignition off check the battery voltage, then start her up and check the voltage, get an assistant if possible and turn on lights etc and monitor charging rate (i.e what voltage is getting to the battery with engine running) then rev it to 2k and see how steady/quickly it responds to each action.

you should have about 12.5 to 13v from the battery when the ignition is off, and 14v or over with the engine running.

just under 14v is ok, as long as its constant which it doesn't sound as if it is.

Sign in to follow this