• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rex

605 Srti / 205 Gti Conversion

rex

Cheers Sam. I thought the diesel 'box would be too long in itself. What about the 1.6 box with the TD final drive? Also, I presume you're using an LSD?

Anyone else out there got any ideas on this question if not? I'm loathe to buy another 'box when I've got both of the above....

Ant

I'm running a 1.6 box Rex.. Some people prefere the 1.9 box but ive got no probs with the 1.6. I will be trying a 1.9 box next time i drop on 1..

Also, its still worth having a feel on the blades of the turbo before you fit.. My lump was a mint 605 lump.. Full service history etc, and i presumed the turbo would be fine.. But it only lasted about 300 miles before i noticed oil in the pipes. Whipped the lump out this weekend and there was loads of play in it. Its a ball ache if the engines in the car.. It takes 1 minute to check when its sitting out of the car.

Just a question regarding your pug.. Is it going to be used on the road ? I thought you couldnt use modded engines in France ?

Cheers

Ant

sonofsam

I can't confess to being a 'ratios' man myself, but there are some good calculators on here

and good info about ratios etc in Smckeown signature, nope no LSD at the moment, may have one fitted

when the box goes away for a rebuild, but it not really high on my list of priorities just yet.

rex

Ant,

Thanks for the concern - don't worry, it was one of the first things I checked. Don't know if you noticed in the backdrop of the photos but I've got a Integrale EVO 2 kat, and I did about 120 kms in it before whizzzzz....bang.....lots of smoke. I can assure you it was an even bigger ball ache :rolleyes: And a touch more expensive :D^_^

Yeah it's for a small amount of road use - the RHD and UK plates usually mean I get ignored but then again, heh, I really don't give a you know what...... :)

rex

Sam - no LSD? I'd have thought that's the first thing everyone would have done with all that extra torque?

I've had a lot of experience with Yank muscle and always despised anything without the LSD, but then again that is all RWD stuff. I think I'll be going for one all the same....

Ant

well i removed my engine this weekend to swap the turbo.. Glad i did. The bolts that hold the turbo to the brackets wouldnt budge.. Snapped 4 torx bits - not ammused. Wouldnt have done it without taking the lump out.

Anyway, got a few pics of my conversion

The gearbox linkage.. This was a bit TOO bent. had to bend it back up slightly.. TEST before fitting the exhaust to the turbo :)

linkage.jpg

A pic of the gearbox speedo cable and wires.. The rough area is where i melted the 205 cable part onto the 605 one.

gbox.jpg

The pipework from the cossy IC into the inlet manifold

pipework.jpg

The 3 connectors. The 2 round ones ( black and grey ) relate to the wiring i gave earlier. The 3rd flat connection is the starter motor wire on the 605

loom.jpg

And finally the engine back where it belongs.

bay.jpg

Rex,

Back on the topic of France, do you not need to get the car checked out every 2 years ? The reason i ask is i am contemplating moving to the south of France this summer, and want to know if i can take my 205s :)

Regards

Ant

rex

Hi Ant,

Thanks for the photies. Hopefully should have the lump in this afternoon so will update the thread.

Re France - yeah, Contrôle Technique (MOT) is every two years which is nice, but the down-side is that it will fail the test :D . There are solutions so feel free to PM me when you plan to leave.

Where abouts were you planning on going in the south?

Cheers, Rex

rex

Ok...spent a good part of the day on the job but didn't really get much done other than getting everything cleaned up and a measure up for the exhaust with the engine presented and swiftly removed.

Having got the 605 'box off the engine I've noticed that the spline size is larger than the BE3 box that is going on to it - what clutch options do I have? The clutch is much larger in diameter on the turbo lump....

Regards,

Rex

inferno

imo the right box to use it the dturbo 205/309/405 ect box. the 1.6box will be quick off the mark but thats all, its better suited to higher reving engines. the longer derv box suits the better low down tourque of the ct turbo engine.

ull need an mi16 flywheel to fit a be3 box, and a clutch to suit. mine had a 306dt clutch iirc, as an mi16 one wasnt listed for some reason!

i think u can use the turbo flywheel and clutch if you remove some of the gearbox casing, but dont quote me on it, im sure a search will bring that up.

sonofsam

I had a look at modifying the bell housing to accept the turbo flywheel and clutch first time around,

decided it was a bit to close for comfort, didn't stop me making an alu gearbox>engine spacer plate

though! wich made it fit, only to realise it was a pull type clutch...

As said, 215mm Mi flywheel and clutch are what most people use Rex :wacko:

inferno

sam i ran a pull type clutch on my gti6 box, on my citroen zx which originally had a be3 push type :wacko:

made it fit by adding a few rubber and plastic ends bit from another gti clutch cable, no cable swapping or anything, so if thats all that was stopping u...

does the turbo box have lsd?

sonofsam

Bugger! wish Id known that, although the clutch looked well worn and I wasn't even on the forum

when I started fitting her up.

LSD, no I doubt it.

rex

Thanks fella's. Ahhh...in a word - bollocks. Was bidding on a Mi16 flywheel the other day on ebay but tightness got the better of me. Back to the search I guess and again, project ground to a halt.

sonofsam

Bugger :o It took me a while to source all the bits for my conversion, have a look in the for sale section

on here, as their were a couple of Mi flywheel's for sale if I remember rightly.

Clutch kit can be bought new for £80 ish :)

rex

Hi everyone. Tried to upload some photos again on here but it never seems to work - probably me being a spastic as per usual :D

I have what Peugeot says is a TD 'box from a 306 (from the numbers)...only I thought that all 306 TD's had the clutch that worked the opposite from a 1.9 'box??? (which this one clearly doesn't)

Any ideas?

Other than that, project well near completion......

Regards,

Rex

rex

Still no joy in up-loading photos. Can I really be that dumb?

Any road, she's shoe-horned in there and so's the loom: :wacko:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t35/205...07/Image001.jpg

I'm just wondering how anyone else fixed the ECU?

Comments as usual will be appreciated!

Kind regards to all,

Rex

sonofsam

Hey Rex, hows it going

car's looking good so far :wacko:

ECU placement is upto you really. I had mine before where I can see your plug

in that picture(didnt fit to well). Moved it recently though to over infront of the battery.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/djs...VC01560op-1.jpg

Had to lengthen a few wires to get it there, or you can go full hog and extend

the plug fully so the ECU sits in the usual 205 position.

Hope this helps

regards

Sam.

rex

Hey Sam,

Hope you're ok.

"or you can go full hog and extend the plug fully so the ECU sits in the usual 205 position."

Heh...yeah, right :lol: Mine looks something like your now after an afternoons' graft though I keep seeing on yours and see lots more things I need to do like the rams for the bonnet that I'll need because the other stand will get in the way.....aaagghh!! I thought I was nearly there!!

I opted for the TD gearbox too so I'll let you know how I get on. Bit pressed now but will update when I get the project further along. The main thing is that the blasted loom is finished.

Regards,

Rex

rex

Well, it doesn't look much different - bit one major thing to report.

She coughed today - starter moter turns and the fuel arrives....;):D :D and nothing smoked in the loom when I applied the battery so something must be right.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t35/205...07/Image007.jpg

Now if only the lazy sods at the local Peugeot centre hadn't forgotten to order the oil flter stub I could have tried to fire it up properly. You can't believe a main dealer can "forget" to order parts, but then I often forget I live in a 3rd world country :D . Ah well....

Just checking, but everyone out there did ditch the oil warmer at the filter?

Also, what have you all done in regards to a heat shield in relation the turbo/manifold? The standard 1.9 shield looks pitiful...

Regards to all,

Rex

sonofsam

Nice one Rex :D Glad you got a good splutter atleast, and no fire's!

Will definately be intersted in your view on the TD box, dont know

anyone who has run one before on this engine B)

As regards the oil warmer I have kept the heat exchanger as mine is a road car,

only just wired the oil temp gauge in, but temps seem fine on road, gauge probally

isnt the most accurate in the world though ;)

Are you thinking Mocal cooler with a thermostat?

Hhmm my bulkhead sheild dissapeared :P still have the turbo manifold sheild on though.

Hope you are well and enjoying/enjoyed the build B)

tom_m

i'm ditching the oil warmer for a 16 row mocal with a thermostatic plate.

Edited by tom_m

rex

Hey Sam,

Thanks for the reply - I had the TD 'box on the mildly tuned 1.9 lump at one point and it was shiite after 2nd gear. However, I'm told by a reliable source that it's the daddy so I'll let you know as the 1.6 was apparently way to "short" and it makes sense that with the turbo it should be somewhere near.

Heh..."Are you thinking Mocal cooler with a thermostat?"

You read my mind :) I was kind of hoping that I'd get an oil pressure meter down there if anyone thinks it's possible....

But anyway the best news to date - the little baby just started. No exhaust of course or intercooler or rad, but it still felt goooooooood. We're going to Betty's bar now to celebrate and ogle her huge boobies so will update tommorow, most likely with a stinking hangover.

Cheers,

Rex

rex

Hi Tom,

Where are you putting that? I was thinking fromt right behing the driving light....

Regards,

Rex

rex

Well, here she is:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t35/205...07/Image030.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t35/205...07/Image031.jpg

Stainless exhaust should be finished and on this afternoon.....all I'm worried about now is will it be ready for Le Mans next weekend...oh, and a few niggly electrical things.

Regards,

Rex

rex

Well, it wasn't ready for Le Mans. :D

Sorry to copy Sam :) , but wht kind of air filter are you using? Is it a 63mm Pipercross? And where did you get those bonnet rams???

Regards,

Rex

Sign in to follow this