• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris adams

Mi16x4 Gearbox Refurb

chris adams

ryt folks its tym for me to do a gearbox refurb before i am going to throw in my engine. where can i get a good quality rebuild kit from and is there any parts that are prone to break and need to be uprated.

chris adams
ryt folks its tym for me to do a gearbox refurb before i am going to throw in my engine. where can i get a good quality rebuild kit from and is there any parts that are prone to break and need to be uprated.

oh im not including the transfer shaft to expensive just yet ;)

imaS

The parts are same than in the 2wd gearbox. Except one bearing of the outputshaft and its seals. And gear ratios are a bit different. Rebuild process is the same than with normal BE3 gearbox. The endnuts of the main and the secondary shafts tend to loosen up -> use good threadlocking stuff with the original locknuts.

chris adams

im just after somewhere that sells a kit as my mi ratios are being dumped in favour of the diesel ratios i have.

chris adams

ryt im not goin to give the box a full rebuild just yet as give it a good check over and all seems to be fine so what is the best sort of sealent i can use on rebuild ?

petert1345402284
im just after somewhere that sells a kit as my mi ratios are being dumped in favour of the diesel ratios i have.

Why would you want to do that?

chris adams

because im using the 406 sri turbo lump and the mi16 x4 ratios are too short, the turbo engine has a similar power band to that of the diesel. so would suit the engine better

B) Edited by mi8 turbo

B1ack_Mi16

If you like to run 400bhp through a BE gearbox connected to a 4x4 drivetrain I think you might get into trouble quite fast.. :)

On FWD cars you'll get wheelspin which is good for gearbox.. but who knows, might work ok.

Anyway on the T16 the 5'th gear at least seem to let go at high speed driving. Also output shaft bearings are prone to collapse.

So at least don't think it will last long between the refurbs :)

Regarding transferbox, you should concider getting an uprated center differential, but I'm not sure whether the T16 and Mi16x4 has the exact same one or if there are some slight differences in the gearing that makes them uncompatible.

I guess this is a bearing kit that might contain what you need for getting it fresh.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STANDARD-GEARBOX-REB...=item1c1c35bfd6

(seem to be two different types, some bearing size change at some point)

chris adams

yea i know the 4bie cant take that much unless uprated with those trick parts from france or some place im only going to be running 200 bhp 220 at a push.

Sign in to follow this