• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

Dobboy's Latest Project - Mk3 Mr2 (2002)

dobboy

I ended up selling this car to a local lad via gumtree who had big plans for it, including a wide body kit.

He messaged me to tell me when he got the bottom engine cover off he found the other pipe from the rad was off, and so, the HG wasn't gone and he was delighted.

Anyway I just seen it on the road and the body kit isn't on but he's really tidied it up and it's looking well!

But what I was wanting to ask, I noticed it has something on the exhaust tip, it looked like some sort of clip that went on to the pipe, with a spring going up to the centre of the pipe, with a little red plastic ball on the end. Anyone know what that's about/what they're called? (i'm pretty sure it's a true boy racer mod :D)

GLPoomobile

Sounds like a fake turbo mod.

• Like 1

dobboy

mmmmm, what do you think chaps?

The MR2 i sold got sold to another guy not long after being put on the road. (a guy who walks his dog who sometimes chats when he's passing by and i'm out messing about at the car told me.)

Today i got a recorded delivery letter from "911" who are a sort of police authorised recovery firm, stating that they had removed the car from an inconvenient place at a roundabout and that i'm the registered keeper, oh and i will need to pay!

I've tried to phone and text the guy who bought it off me with no response.

Tried to phone 911 but got the runaround in their phone option system twice and chucked the towel in.

(pretty sure i gave the guy the docs to send away but it doesn't look like he did.)

Only Christian option i see is to phone 911 again, act daft, and blame the DVLA.

what do you think?

Gaz205

Unfortunately by law YOU have to send the docs off or a trader notifies dvla it's in trade.

I'd be writing to the dvla telling them you are no longer the keeper, giving them the date and a humble apology/excuse as to why you did t sent them the V5 and pray that you don't get a fine by the recovery agent and for lack of road tax!

Don't put it off, do it ASAP

Edited by Gaz205

dobboy

Unfortunately by law YOU have to send the docs off or a trader notifies dvla it's in trade.

I'd be writing to the dvla telling them you are no longer the keeper, giving them the date and a humble apology/excuse as to why you did t sent them the V5 and pray that you don't get a fine by the recovery agent and for lack of road tax!

Don't put it off, do it ASAP

Thanks Gaz, but in my last 5 transactions with DVLA they have fecked up at least three of them, so they are by no means reliable.

But i think i will contact them and let them know i no longer own the car.

IIRC the letter states that if no contact is made in 7-days the car would one way or another go into the police funds!

welshpug

you can do it online these days.

• Like 1

Bogsye

Had experience of 911's crap telephone system recently. Googled an alternative number for them and that worked.

In our case some scrote vanadlised my sister in-law's car in Edinburgh and the police had it lifted incase of more damage. Think we got a couple days grace on the daily charge. The lift was £150, but the insurance wicked that up as they screwed up the repairs.

On a positive note, if your buyer, who fixed the car, doesn't respond, then you can get the car back for about £150. Result!

GLPoomobile

Don't play dumb with the DVLA. If they don't f*** you over by intent they'll do it out of incompetence! Tell them you DID send them the paperwork (RM isn't fool proof either remember, and not everyone sends stuff recorded delivery), and it's just come to your attention that perhaps their records are not up to date. I really hope you have some proof of the sale, just in case it comes down to that!

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

And on a side note, this just illustrates the point why you should NEVER trust the buyer to send off the paperwork. They could rack up all manner of fines under your name and you might not have a leg to stand on.

toolie72

And on a side note, this just illustrates the point why you should NEVER trust the buyer to send off the paperwork. They could rack up all manner of fines under your name and you might not have a leg to stand on.

Happened to me when I scrapped a car

Thought I saw it once-nah must have been my imagination

Nope it wasn't-then I was being chased for tax

Luckily by being a messy/lazy fecker I still had the receipt from scrappies-they're still in business though

dobboy

Don't play dumb with the DVLA. If they don't f*** you over by intent they'll do it out of incompetence! Tell them you DID send them the paperwork (RM isn't fool proof either remember, and not everyone sends stuff recorded delivery), and it's just come to your attention that perhaps their records are not up to date. I really hope you have some proof of the sale, just in case it comes down to that!

Great advice GLP. No. i dont have proof of sale, but i bet that i could make one up lol.

Exactly what i was gonna do, but now with a degree of urgency!

Gaz205

Thanks Gaz, but in my last 5 transactions with DVLA they have fecked up at least three of them, so they are by no means reliable.

But i think i will contact them and let them know i no longer own the car.

IIRC the letter states that if no contact is made in 7-days the car would one way or another go into the police funds!

I've never had those kind of issues but I don't tend to change cars or details that often. Maybe make reference to those 3 occasions in your letter or Email to them?

Have they said how all this affects you? A call to the local police may help or council as the recovery agent would have been instructed by them to remove the car and could at least update their incident with your details should the dvla ever ask them for input on the circs. Basically it shows you are working with them and not against them! Give them the gumtree user name that bought it, phone number of buyer etc etc etc (if they want them) they might just go ""cheers for that but we're not doing anything with it anyway"

dobboy

I phoned DVLA, and they've advised me to write two letters to them to two different departments, and to let 911 know I'll be receiving a letter from DVLA that will show I'm not the registered owner.

The important letter is to keeper enquiries, and I should have a response in 4-6 weeks. The reason they know I'm not the keeper is that the car was taxed by someone else after I had sold it.

Meanwhile the car clocks up a £20/day charge.

I'd have thought the latest owner would have applied for a new v5 by now.

Edited by dobboy

Tom Fenton

Should be a lesson to learn here, always without fail sort the V5 out yourself when selling.

dobboy

Should be a lesson to learn here, always without fail sort the V5 out yourself when selling.

Yeah you're right, hassle I could do without.

Leslie green

Surely the person who taxed it had to register it to themselves to have got a reminder in the post to their address to actually tax it unless it was taxed with a trade insurance policy .

My brother sold an sri cavalier many years ago which was involved in a hit and run a few days after by the buyer and the police landed at his door but fortunately for him he had send the docs off just dvla hadn't updated the records !

Edited by Leslie green

welshpug

you can still tax in person at a p.o.

Leslie green

you can still tax in person at a p.o.

Indeed but I thought only if it was in your name which they should really have checked.

welshpug

nope, they don't check that, its of no concern to them who pays the money as long as its insured and has an MOT.

dobboy

So posted the letters to DVLA, and after phoning 911 about 20 times before getting to speak to a human, they advised the vehicle has been collected. What a waste of valuable effort.

dobboy

Got to laugh.

The guy who bought the MR2 from me (bit of a strange guy; possible drug dealer/junkie/alcy/night creature!), appeared at my door tonight.

He said i've just switched my phone on (after soooo many days) and got your messages! :wacko:

I told him the story of my letter etc, and how it was all sorted.

Anyway, his pal/neighbour (with the dog) had told him i was selling Mini2, and he said he was interested.

I gave him the sales pitch and said to him to have a shot of it. He then reversed into my gate and took a little bit of paint off the back bumper!

He had a few tame miles in it, amazed by it's performance, eventually I got bored and asked him to pull in and took over at the wheel. I showed him what it can actually do. I'm not sure what has been done before me but it's a quick little car. It could do with a bigger ARB on the back, but controlling it sideways on PS3's sealed the deal i think, and he's coming back to buy it on Wednesday. I'm in no rush to sell and the paint damage isn't too bad.

Anyway, the GF can now look for some modern/soulless piece of non rusting, high mpg, piece of non sense, to clutter my launch pad :D, and i'm one small step closer to GP2.

The joy's of Gumtree, where you can convert your playstation into some scaffolding! :lol:

Silky

Do the V5 online yourself this time

• Like 1