• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ryan_NIGTI

Knocking From 1900 8 Valve When Cold

Guest ryan_NIGTI

every morning when i start my 1900 8valve gti its becoming louder and louder with a knocking noise from what sounds like the bottom end ..as i drive down the road tho it quietens down ...the engine also seem very down on power now ...there is only 80k on the car tho i dont think it has the original engine

it makes good oil pressure and is run on castrol magnatec

any common problems known?

Edited by ryan_NIGTI

Cameron

Eeek! Sounds as if it could be a bit terminal. :(

I think big-end knock is more noticeable at low revs under load. You can get a socket extension bar and put it on different areas of the engine and hold the other end to your ear, like a stethoscope. Should be able to tell you fairly accurately where the knocking is coming from.

Ps Merry Christmas! :)

Edited by Cameron

dcc

As much as i would liek to lift your hopes, i too think your engine might need a new bottom end.

You can buy a new engine complete for circa £100, engine crane hire for £20 and a weekend of work (or a few hours if your feeling competant)

You might be lucky though, and able to get away with new bearings if your very lucky. but if you aren't it would be a huge waste of money. personally, I'd replace, or if your feel like it, gti6/mi16 route.

Guest ryan_NIGTI

yeh im thinking mi16 or maybe just go for another 8valve ...want it sorted tho ..its letting me down ...it cant be running more than 110bho at the min :D

welshpug

you'll be lucky to get 100!

drop the sump off and take a big end cap off to inspect the bearings, half hours work :D do it ASAP (i.e do not start the engine ever again till you've done so!) as you will render the whole lot scrap if something lets go.

Sign in to follow this