• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick9one1

Gti6 Bleed Screw Blown Out

nick9one1

I took my 205 gti6 for its first drive today, everything was going well except when i got home i noticed two big problems

the gearbox was leaking oil! I had this problem the fist time I filled it after refitting and have now replaced the drive shaft seals. it was stood for a good week with oil in, and had been taken round the block with no problems, only on this long run has it caused a leak.

the other problem is the T shaped bleed screw arrangement mounted in the head has completely blown out! I think this must have happened close to home because the engine didn't have time to overheat. I had previously noticed I could rotate the part of it that came out of the block, so it obviously wasn't tight. Does anyone know how they are secured inside? the hole left doesn't seem to have any thread that I can see. an also where I can get a new one! or a suitable replacement.

th_26122008113.jpg

thanks,

Nick

welshpug

bleed screw on my gti6 engine is on the top of that housing not the side! :P

Tom Fenton

Should there not be a bolt in there?

Matt Holley
Should there not be a bolt in there?

Yes thats for a bolt to hold the thermostat housing on, not a bleed screw.

dcc

on vts/106gti engines the bleed screw is in a similar position to whats highlighted, maybe you got confused :lol:

nick9one1

this is the bast picture of what it did look like.

th_26122008113-1.jpg

so where do i bleed the block from?

welshpug

that's a new one on me! does indeed look like a bleed screw, what year is the engine?

mine is a 98 IIRC and there's a bleed screw directly in the top of that alloy housing.

If you still have the bit that came out I would chemical metal it back in, if not I'd tap the hole and pop a grub screw in, and drill and tap an M6 hole in the top of the housing and fit a bleed screw in the top of the housing.

nick9one1

its a '96. unfortunately i don't have the part. Ive just tried a few bolts in the hole as it feels like it is threaded further in, but M8 is too small and M10 is too large.

Edited by nick9one1

Sign in to follow this