• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

[engine_work] Daviewonders Laser Green 205

Daviewonder
Numbers clearly printed on the wires!

You have been blessed :D

Fingers and toes crossed for you mate :D

Yeah from what Ive read its quite unusual for the numbers to be visible on the wires, we'll see how blessed I am when I try to start it :D

Cheers mate :D

Daviewonder

Damn thing didnt start, theres no fuel or spark! :blush::ph34r::ph34r:

Daviewonder

I now have a spark and fuel :) but it still wont run :( I'll get to that in a minute.

I had been having a few problems with the wiring as in I didnt have fuel pumping and I didnt have a spark, so after lots of research and headscratching and help from M@TT and me worrying the ecu was locked it turns out I didnt have a live going to pin 18 of the ecu, now this was sorted it was time to remove the half a tank of diesel that was still under the car from when I bought it-

IMG_0557.jpg

This was the easy part next I had to fit a different fuel tank that still had some petrol in it on my own in the driveway-

IMG_0558.jpg

It wasnt too bad, it went up quite easily, Good old budget trolley jack came in handy :lol:

The part that I did have a bit of trouble with was the short hose between the tank and the filler neck-

IMG_0559.jpg

A quick bit of advice for anyone thats planning on changing a fuel tank in the future, connect the hose to the filler neck first

and then slide the tank up into it. You guys probably have a bit more common sence than me so you would probably do it this way anyway :D If id have done it this way to begin with it would of saved me quite a bit of struggling!

Anyway the engine still wont run but ive got a feeling the petrol in the tank could have gone off as its been sitting there for over 3 years, Im guessing I'll have to drain it and put fresh in then there should be no reason for the engine not to start :D

taylorspug

If you have fuel and spark then yes, fuel quality can really be the only other option. It should at least try to fire otherwise.

pablo

mate what head gasket did you use?

Daviewonder
mate what head gasket did you use?

Ive not replaced the headgasket, Ive not had to remove the head (yet, touch wood) Im just trying to get it running after putting the engine in :angry:

Nice car by the way :angry:

Daviewonder

Quick update, Today I got round to draining the 'off' petrol out of the tank and I paid a trip to the petrol station with a couple of jerry cans, put the new fuel in and gave a quick squirt of starting fluid into the air intake pipe, turned the key and VROOOOOOM

its-alive1.jpg

Im sure loads of you know how im feeling at the moment as this is my first engine conversion and the bit I was really dreading was the wiring so now the worst bits over and the rest is fairly straight forward, also I got engaged to my long term girlfriend on tuesday so this weeks been a good one so far, There's only one thing to do at a moment like this: strut!

Edited by Daviewonder

Galifrey

Gratz, the first time you start the engine is always a special moment

:(

M@tt

nice work Dave well done!!! now get it finished and on the road :D

BackStreetRacecars

looking great. Always like a good turbo conv. Just going to be a touch off topic here... But, What was the story with the cars previous hdi-ness?? Do you still have the bits from it? Loom etc??

Daviewonder
Gratz, the first time you start the engine is always a special moment

:angry:

nice work Dave well done!!! now get it finished and on the road :wub:

Cheers guys :D

looking great. Always like a good turbo conv. Just going to be a touch off topic here... But, What was the story with the cars previous hdi-ness?? Do you still have the bits from it? Loom etc??

I bought the car a couple of months ago, it was up for sale as a rolling shell because the HDI engine it had been fitted with had thrown the timing belt and knackered the head, it came with just a block with seized in pistons, it didnt have any head or ancillaries. I still have the loom up to the two multi plugs along with the ecu etc.

BackStreetRacecars

so was the loom converted to run the hdi in the 205??

Edited by BackStreetRacecars

Daviewonder

It looked like it had been done professionally as the 205 loom had the HDI multi plugs on the end of it and there were no joins in the wires so I assume new multi plug pins had been fitted to the 205 wires so it just plugged into the HDI loom.

BackStreetRacecars

do you fancy selling it?? I have been toying with this conversion for a while and I have a bit of a fetish for diesels.... pm me if you are interested.....

Get some pics up... love a good lazer!!

Daviewonder

Now I have the car running I decided to tidy up the loom as it looks abit messy and while im at it i'll relocate the Ecu next to the battery also I need to run the live feeds through the fuse box on the slam panel. I also went to the scrappy and bought a new piece of loom to go where the TDC sensor plugs in as it was damaged.

IMG_0567.jpg

Hopefully should get the loom all in position and recovered tomorrow.

credowan

Alright Davie, hows the car coming on any progress is your 106 running mi16 wheels mate? spotted one when round my sis`s the other day

Gary

Daviewonder
Alright Davie, hows the car coming on any progress is your 106 running mi16 wheels mate? spotted one when round my sis`s the other day

Gary

Hi Mate, Not a lot of progress on the 205 at the moment due to not being able to get good weather and enthusiasm on the same day. I have bought most of the bits needed to finish it so hopefully shouldnt be too long. Yes the 106 has an MI16 wheel on it as I wanted to see what it looked like but Ive since got a set ot 306 gti6 wheels for it. The 106 is parked there waiting to have its crankshaft endfloat sorted out. Any progress on your 205?

Jamal
Ive also sourced an s16/mi16 top engine mount which should help the engine to sit a bit further forward than the standard one and give some more clearence behind the turbo.

IMG_0512.jpg

Hi!

Nice project! I love turbo engines :blink:

I have got a question. What do you mean under standard top mount? I also have this mount form a 405 2.0 but using the 406's alternator and servo bracket with the 406's alternaot and servo pump. I can not see any difference in clearence...

Daviewonder
Hi!

Nice project! I love turbo engines :ph34r:

I have got a question. What do you mean under standard top mount? I also have this mount form a 405 2.0 but using the 406's alternator and servo bracket with the 406's alternaot and servo pump. I can not see any difference in clearence...

Hi, thanks.

I was under the impression that the 16v mount allowed the engine to sit further forward than the 8v one?

Dave.

Jamal
Hi, thanks.

I was under the impression that the 16v mount allowed the engine to sit further forward than the 8v one?

Dave.

This was my question :rolleyes:

Really I dont know, but I think it's equal to the 8v. Just look on the trans' mount, the engine sits totally prependicular to the engine bay, and the driveshaft has the same heading both side.

So thinking it's the same.

Daviewonder

Hello all, its been a while since my last update but now the weathers getting better I should be getting a lot more done ;)

Today was a good one, I done a bit more loom tidying and soldered the replacement TDC sensor loom in place, I also wrapped it with foil tape to stop any interference. Now the ecu is sitting roughly where I want it to I will fire up the engine and make sure everything works ok before I recover the loom with its plastic casing.

SAM_0249.jpg

I also got my down pipe modified so it now clears everything and goes snuggly up to the turbo.

SAM_0255.jpg

I also done a bit of fitting to the radiator and the intercooler to see how much room I had and what pipes I'd need to make up.

SAM_0251.jpg

SAM_0259.jpg

Im quiet pleased with how it fits as it keeps the car looking quite stealthy, I do plan on getting the front lower valence repainted before im finished but these pictures give you the idea of how things will look.

SAM_0268.jpg

SAM_0267.jpg

Thats all for today, hopefully I should get some more done tomorrow :lol:

credowan

Good to see your back on the job mate, was near yours today pity if id have noticed i would have pulled in to say hi

keep us updated mate at least your 205 is getting some wrk done to it unlike mine

Gary

pablo

Nice one Dave youll grin from ear to ear when you get it running :)

Daviewonder
Good to see your back on the job mate, was near yours today pity if id have noticed i would have pulled in to say hi

keep us updated mate at least your 205 is getting some wrk done to it unlike mine

Gary

Hi mate, you wouldnt have noticed me as the laser's at my folks house, I dont have enough room to do the car at mine as the 106 is in the way. You should definately make a start on yours now the weathers getting better ;)

Nice one Dave youll grin from ear to ear when you get it running :lol:

Cheers Pablo, Trouble is it still seems so far off :(

Daviewonder

Got a little bit more done today as the weathers still fine ;)

Done some heatshrinking on the new wires that Ive run from the fusebox on the slam panel, I also remade some of the earth connections and heatshrank these aswell.

Ive also started plumbing in the cooling system

Ive made up the top hose by turning the standard 406 one upside down and cutting it down, this way the water coming from the turbo goes back into the top hose through the original pipe, I also have to blank the pipe that used to go to the oil warmer as I wont be using it.

SAM_0288.jpg

Ive also made one of the heater hoses, its not that pretty but as long as it works thats ok with me.

SAM_0286.jpg

Thats it for today :lol: