• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
iamjackiechan

[engine_work] Its Not Size That Matters

bales
Technicaly not the same thing but very similar, it's an external wastegate that likes to pop flames and sounds very much like a screamer pipe.

So technically similar that it is actually technically a screamer pipe :lol:

Is that technically not a screamer piper because speaking technically you can't pass an MOT with one? ;)

iamjackiechan
So what is a screamer pipe exactly? I always thought it was just a fancy name for what is essentially the exhaust pipe from the wastegate, but simply not plumbed back in to the exhaust system so it's completely unsilenced :lol:

yea, a screamer pipe comes off the wastegate of the turbo to atmosphere, wereas on my engine the turbo wastegate is closed and an external wastegate is welded into the manifold before the turbo, this allows me to up the boost pressure by changing the wastegate spring.

im not to sure on the ins and outs of it as im quite new to turbo's so please correct me if im wrong.

So technically similar that it is actually technically a screamer pipe :lol:

Is that technically not a screamer piper because speaking technically you can't pass an MOT with one? :)

hahahaha NO, Thats brilliant did you think that up by yourself. no really, its very good. medals in the post.

i do apologise if technically is a word to big for your vocabulary and you feel the need to point this out.

Also dont trouble yourself by worrying about my MOT im perfectly aware that it will fail an MOT with an external wastegate and i have this sorted, but thanks for careing.

will

pip470

A bit harsh mate, I don't think bales is saying it will fail with an external wastegate, I think he's saying that you are saying its not technically a screamer pipe for mot reasons, which I don't think you are saying it for those reasons.

So a screamer pipe. A pipe from an external wastegate that vents excess boost above what the wastegate is set at to atmosphere. Everybody friends again.

p.s thanks for the s16 pistons, just what I wanted and very quick too.

Edited by pip470

iamjackiechan
p.s thanks for the s16 pistons, just what I wanted and very quick too.

Not a problem at all, Glad your happy.

I have plenty more S16 bits if you need them ;)

will

bales
yea, a screamer pipe comes off the wastegate of the turbo to atmosphere, wereas on my engine the turbo wastegate is closed and an external wastegate is welded into the manifold before the turbo, this allows me to up the boost pressure by changing the wastegate spring.

im not to sure on the ins and outs of it as im quite new to turbo's so please correct me if im wrong.

hahahaha NO, Thats brilliant did you think that up by yourself. no really, its very good. medals in the post.

i do apologise if technically is a word to big for your vocabulary and you feel the need to point this out.

Also dont trouble yourself by worrying about my MOT im perfectly aware that it will fail an MOT with an external wastegate and i have this sorted, but thanks for careing.

will

Why the sarcasm? It was hardly a post taking the piss out of you was it, in fact it was meant to be a bit of a joke - hence the smiley face. But hey.

I don't know what all the confusion is about its an atmospherically vented wastegate i.e a screamer pipe.

Most modern set-ups control boost pressure before the wastegate by bleeding a certain amount of air off with either a solenoid or a basic bleed/ball and spring valve to save the hassle of changing wastegate springs to adjust boost pressure.

Like you said in your own words you don't know too much about turbo's so maybe not going off on one about something you don't know a great deal about isn't the best response.

iamjackiechan
Why the sarcasm? It was hardly a post taking the piss out of you was it, in fact it was meant to be a bit of a joke - hence the smiley face. But hey.

I don't know what all the confusion is about its an atmospherically vented wastegate i.e a screamer pipe.

Most modern set-ups control boost pressure before the wastegate by bleeding a certain amount of air off with either a solenoid or a basic bleed/ball and spring valve to save the hassle of changing wastegate springs to adjust boost pressure.

Like you said in your own words you don't know too much about turbo's so maybe not going off on one about something you don't know a great deal about isn't the best response.

I do apologise as my post was abit over the top, but i didnt see your first post as being helpful in establishing what we were talking about and it did sound like you were taking the piss.

If you would have posted what you just have in the first place, things would have been alot easier.

Also im not to sure at which point i went off on one about turbo's/wastegates, i mearly skimmed the surface.

iamjackiechan

Hi

Only a little bit of progress today, but every little helps.

Im not a fan of pods and i dont have much space on the centre consol for the boost gauge so i decided to make a plate to mount it in the heater. Hope you like

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

Cheers Will

GLPoomobile

Hey Will, would you mind sharing any details about how you made the guage plate? It's just that I started making one almost the same as that, but as per usual I got bored half way through and never finished :)

Is it a flat plate, or have you folded it at the edges? How is it fixed in?

On mine, I choose to use a thin alloy plate like yours, but with a thin carbon sheet over the top (actual CF, not the vinyl s*it), although I haven't got as far as doing the CF plate yet. I'm using the alloy plate just as the main bracket so it doesn't need to look pretty, and I've folded it at ehe side with 1 or 2cm going back in to the vent, and of course diagonally tapering the edges in so they can fit. Then I need to work out how to secure it, which may be to use a strong adhesive or might be able to get some very small screws in the sides. It's taken a bit of faffing with cardboard templates and a few attempts, so it looks a bit gash at the moment. Probably only needs another few hours of effort and it would be finished but I'm lazy :D

I also trimmed a lot out of the top of the vent housing to allow clearance of the guage inside.

iamjackiechan

Hi

Same kind of deal as yours really, I've folded the top and bottom in with about a 2cm lip and drilled two holes in the top and bottom and used some m4 bolts to bolt it onto the vent.

Mine doesn't look great but does the job.

Hope that helps

Will

Guest rob_s

nice project mate,im sure iv seen the rallye on either 106 owners or rallye register one or the other! and the best box to use would be either a rallye or XSI box shorter ratios,and the gti isnt weak but is a long ratio gearbox,its become quite a common mod to xsi/rallye gearboxes are now harder/more expencive to come by

im new to the 205 coming from the 106/saxo side

iamjackiechan

Hi

Yea you probably would have seen it on 106 rallye register, his name is matt king, i think he had a build thread on there.

I would love to put a rallye box on it but i just cant afford it and like you say they are very rare.

Will

Batfink
nice project mate,im sure iv seen the rallye on either 106 owners or rallye register one or the other! and the best box to use would be either a rallye or XSI box shorter ratios,and the gti isnt weak but is a long ratio gearbox,its become quite a common mod to xsi/rallye gearboxes are now harder/more expencive to come by

im new to the 205 coming from the 106/saxo side

The danger with fitting a very short ratio gearbox to a turbo engine is you will forever be changing gears as its able to accelerate far faster than the equivalent n/a engine. I would try it with this one first.

Tom Fenton
The danger with fitting a very short ratio gearbox to a turbo engine is you will forever be changing gears as its able to accelerate far faster than the equivalent n/a engine.

This is true, but I have a 1600 box fitted to my turbo car. Yes you change gear quite quickly, but by christ it doesn't half accelerate.

iamjackiechan

Im going to go with the gti box to start with but my friend who previously owend the engine said with a rallye box the ratios are far shorter which made it frantic and incredibly fun to drive.

Top speed doesnt interest me much, having shorter ratios, quicker acceleration and constantly changing gear is fun :)

iamjackiechan

Only something small today.

The throttle body came with the bracket for the standard cable which i didnt want to buy as i still have my carb cable which i want to use.

IMG_0586.jpg

So after work today i turned up an attachment on the lathe.

IMG_0588.jpg

Will

iamjackiechan

Evening

Been a while with no update as i havent had much time at the moment.

This is where im upto so far.

Because of where the turbo sits it touches the radiator and this is also not going to help the radiator do its job much, so i bought an aftermarket honda civic radiator because the sizing is very good and made up brackets to mount this and the oil cooler.

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

As i needed to use tu driveshafts i had to change back to 1.6 hubs so bought a set of these, discs and some 1.9 gti calipers in a lovely rank yellow :)

You can see in the second picture the difference in size from the gti6 brakes i had before (hope these brakes are going to be sufficient enough).

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

I then mounted the slam panel back in by chopping parts away to fit around the manifold and wastegate.

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

cheers

will

iamjackiechan

Forgot to mention ive also got a motorbike fan for the radiator.

Picture.jpg

lemmingzappa

Hadn't spotted this thread before, looking good though. How long before it comes to Ace ? :P

rob_furious

you really need to heat wrap that manifold or it will seriously cook that rad and anything near it when standing still after a hard run. he wrap is only £10 off ebay and will provide lots of insulation. you want to keep the exhaust red hot as the hotter the exhaust stays the faster the gasses travel and the more room they take up so uber spool time when going for it! :P

iamjackiechan
Hadn't spotted this thread before, looking good though. How long before it comes to Ace ? :unsure:

Hopefully not to long now, need to save up for DTA and wire that in which is the main thing, then make up an exhaust and a few other bits.

il take you for a spin when its done and can compare it to my old s16 engine, should be interesting i think.

you really need to heat wrap that manifold or it will seriously cook that rad and anything near it when standing still after a hard run. he wrap is only £10 off ebay and will provide lots of insulation. you want to keep the exhaust red hot as the hotter the exhaust stays the faster the gasses travel and the more room they take up so uber spool time when going for it! :P

This is uber true.

My mate who owned the engine before me heat wrapped it and because of the design of the manifold it is a mega pain in the arse to wrap.

So im gonna see how it goes to start with and if i get problems il wrap it.

shalmaneser

If you use base model hubs you can use the gti-6 brakes - seems a shame no to on a track car.

The base model hubs are basically identical to the gti ones, just different offset and marginally smaller bearings (like 2mm OD) than the 1.9 hubs. It's worthwhile and they're cheap too.

iamjackiechan
If you use base model hubs you can use the gti-6 brakes - seems a shame no to on a track car.

The base model hubs are basically identical to the gti ones, just different offset and marginally smaller bearings (like 2mm OD) than the 1.9 hubs. It's worthwhile and they're cheap too.

I have not heard about this.

The reason for changing to 1.6 hubs is that they take tu driveshafts were as the 1.9's dont.

So if i change to base model hubs i would be able to use my gti6 calipers and discs?

What model 205 would be the hub to go for?

cheers

will

BERTMAN

any base model, id imagine... although im not sure about the diesels

Baz

Coming along nicely William! :D

Hopefully not to long now, need to save up for DTA and wire that in which is the main thing, then make up an exhaust and a few other bits.

Don't want an Emerald then...?? :blink:

iamjackiechan

Well if I go for dta then I can use the map that Matt had running the engine, saving me rolling road costs.

How much were you after for the emerald and is it just the ecu or does it have loom aswell. Also does it do fuel and sparkles.