Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Barn Find Laser Green 1.9 Gti.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Leslie green

Leslie green
  • Drivers
  • 123 posts
  • Name:Leslie

Thanks Barney that's good to know , I went in for kseal but was handed "holts sealit" which is for blocks , haven't used it yet just drained the cooling system as I had only water in it till I got the leaks fixed and it's getting cool some nights now and don't need any bigger cracks .My local mechanic suggested getting it welded by the guy who fixed my cam bearing probably from the inside so would have to take the liners out etc .Problem is you have to build it all up to see if it's fixed .

Seems a common gti problem looking at resto threads surprised there are any blocks left now ,guess too many had leaks /busted heater matrix etc and left the antifreeze out .I know a mate did that years ago and it went for scrap after .

Edited by Leslie green, 02 September 2017 - 08:41 PM.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,760 posts
You'll find the crack will be due to corrosion inside the water jacket that has thinned the area. Remember the head bolts put a lot of load into the block in this area.
I'm not saying if couldn't be welded, but I've tried and failed in the past.

Leslie green

Leslie green
  • Drivers
  • 123 posts
  • Name:Leslie

I see Tom, I thought it was frost damage , I haven't seen inside the engine but its been without water for possibly 10 years now so could be a right mess inside.

barneys66

barneys66
  • Drivers+
  • 452 posts
  • Name:Barney Jones
Garage View Garage

No problem, Leslie - it's not ideal but it has bought me a few months (of hard use!) until the winter and a block change can take place at my leisure.

I torqued my head bolts up as per the manual, but having read more on here realise that it's probably excessive, so will be using one of the guides this time - far less stressful on a 30-year old block.

If I were you I'd continue the search for a short/long block rather than attempting a repair - they're still out there.

Edited by barneys66, 03 September 2017 - 10:07 AM.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

Leslie, here is a pic of the corrosion in one of the blocks I stripped- as Tom says it can be quite bad even with a serviceable replacement.

I had to reject this one for a rebuild even though it was a known good engine.

Attached Files

• Attached File  eng.jpg   29.44KB   0 downloads