• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

taylorspug

[project] Silver 1.9 Gti 16v Project (now Gti-6)

Paintguy

Well you're certianly cracking on with it :)

Can't say pooch looks too impressed with your efforts though :)

ANDYGON

looks good Dan, i think yours is the only silver Gti that ive seen. good to see its getting the right treatment

taylorspug

Yeah im guessing silver wasnt a popular colour in the 80s, as they arent limited edition, there just arent many about!

Well, seeing as i do this car building lark for a living now, i thought a showcase for my work would be a good idea, and i am a perfectionist at heart. Theres other projects to come after this aswell, another 80s car, RWD, German. Given it away really....! :)

Andy_C

Damn you Dan - now I want to paint my servo and battery tray :wacko:

Looks seriously good mate - well impressed

maxi

Jesus Dan, your cracking on well mate!!!! Sorry I havent been round to do the loom, I havent had time to fart let alone go anywhere near pugs! If you like I can pop over one eve this week, would like to have a look at the progress, and then I can show you the crack with the wiring if you havent already figured it out! :wacko:

Well done mate!

Maxi

taylorspug

Thats ok bout the loom mate, you should have said you were busy the last time i asked, i wouldnt have minded!

Think ive got it figured on paper, just gotta put it into practice! PM coming your way...

Got a couple more pics which i will upload later or tomorrow,of my home made short shift and the body colour servo installed- looks the nuts!

ecksstore

Glad youre happy with the exhaust m8

You will be chuffed with the pops and bangs that exhaust makes, I hope my group N is as nice sounding on the overrun just not as loud in normal driving conditions.

MattKnowles

Looks awesome mate. Can't wait for the finished article as i'll be heading that way too with my silver 1.9

When do you expect to be all finished??

Matt

taylorspug

More pics added

Got the beam finished off today, its taken ages, for some reason this one has been fighting me every step of the way...

Looks awesome mate.  Can't wait for the finished article as i'll be heading that way too with my silver 1.9

When do you expect to be all finished??

Matt

Cheers Matt, expecting it to be finished end of this week or next week, but we will see! As I said before im up for getting it all sorted mechanically and through the MOT, then im going to work on the bodywork and get it up to scratch, fruits of my labour should be seen at the south meet! :(

As I say hopefully this week will pretty much finish it, as im working all next week now. Our cars seem identical on paper, both 89, non sunny and silver. What have you got planned for yours, complete rebuild? Engine swap?

Cheers,

Dan.

Edited by pugtorque

Paintguy
Got the beam finished off today,

My my, what a shiny rear end you've got! :(:(

As for it being finished for the south meet - The best of luck to you! I keep saying mine will be finished for then, but it's getting closer and closer, and the cars not getting any nearer to being ready :blink:

taylorspug

Toss away 205 beam and replace with fully rebuilt 309 GTI item with grp A mounts-DONE

New discs/pads all round- again purchased, just need fitting,

Full phase 2 interior including black carpet-got it all, just fitting to go,

Rewire some bits, esp speakers as they seemed to only work when they fancied it,

New front Gaz coilover units with eccentric top mounts (may be a few weeks yet),

Phase 2 exterior trim,

Replace passenger door lock (it had been removed and smoothed over, but i wanted a totally original look outside)-DONE,

Respray engine bay and sort out any rust-DONE,

Toss away 8v motor for MI-16 running full Motronic 1.3 loom and 1.6 'box with new Valeo clutch- clutch purchased,

New engine mounts- all purchased apart from gearbox mount,

New driveshafts- puchased,

New radiator-decided it wasnt leaking enough to warrant replacing just yet, all it did was steam a bit, so this will be done in a few weeks when ive more money (will rad weld it for now),

Better condition steering rack-DONE,

Short shifter kit (homebrew-welders are damn useful!)-DONE,

Fit full stainless Scorpion exhaust- purchased (thanks eckstore),

Get new Pirellis (4 tyres for free-im a jammy sod! ) on wheels,

General clean of whole car,

Eventually respray outside of car (wanna get her on the road 1st tho!)

Cheers Paintguy!

As you can see the list is going down! When I get busy I work FAST, so hoping to have the car driveable by the end of the weekend, its only the respray thats gonna take a few weeks, as im not amazing with bodywork, so I have to take it slow! Plus I will be using the car on a daily basis, so gonna flat it one panel at a time, then haul it in and respray it over a weekend and fit new plastics! Really want it done for the South meet, as I want time to enjoy it before winter rolls in...

Edited by taylorspug

MattKnowles

Good colour matching there...nice!!

Rear beam looks spanking!

Long lost brothers our cars!! I think silver is one of the rarest colours...especially non sunny.

Plans for mine are

Take it off the road for winter

Aquire myself some kind of garage/ working area

Refurb alloys and bumpers

Don't know wether to keep it all original or go phase 2 everything! Need advice.

Rebuild/ replace all mechanical components that need doing myself (bit of a learning curve as i only have limited mechanical experience...but i'm a quick learner!!)

Get someone to do me a mi16/gti6 conversion.

Thats my plan but we'll see!!

Keep up the good work

Matt

Edp

This car is gonna look the nuts ;) Its always nice to see a silver GTi. You are working like a trooper!

Ed

taylorspug

Gotta work even harder now, just found more rust in the rear drivers side arch, looks like some noob has had big wheels on the car at some point, and they have caugh the arch ALOT. So inner arch and bottom of 3/4 panel need cutting out and re-welding. Drain holes in the sill were also blocked, i estimate about 2 litres of water have just come out of them! Luckily the sill seems solid...

Cheers Ed and Matt, ive got visions of how good it will look when its done, thats all that is spurring me on at the moment! Thought i was putting it all back together, and now ive just taken the tank out to do the welding, so going backwards again. Great.

credowan

Dan,

top wrk mate its looking great cant wait to see the pics as it comes together, ill keep them peeled as im lovin this thread

Gary

taylorspug

Glad your liking the thread Gary. :D

Right todays update:

More pics added, and more problems found!

After taking the tank out to fix a little surface rust up the side of it, i encountered fairly major rust problems, as the pictures show! I was aware of the inner arch problem, although not to that extent! The other rust and holes(!) i wasnt aware of at all. Glad i looked though as there is loads of it, nothing too serious, mostly surface stuff, but 2 bits in particular will require welding.

The disturbing thing is alot of the surface rust is under what looks like perfectly good underseal, its only the odd spot here and there, but obviously will spread. I can only presume the car has spent some of its life near the sea and the salt has got to it. So ive decided that tomorrow im going to tip the shell onto its side, get rid of all the rust underneath, do the welding, zinc primer it, stonechip it, and respray the underneath and the arches whilst im there, its all in a state anyway. So anyone wishing to eat dinner off the bottom of my car at the south meet is welcome to it! :D:)

Oh and the solid brake lines have rusted, one of them was already weeping :o , so these i am re-making tonight (already got some rolls of pipe!). On this note im taking all of this as a blessing in disguise, as from what i can tell, the brake line would have lasted long enough to be bled, but failed soon afterwards, so could have been nasty. ;)

Oh and I did my wiring loom last night, in the back living room, at midnight! Got bored so thought id get it done. Must be the only easy thing to work on that went into a BX, the loom!

Edited by taylorspug

Paintguy

Oh dear, sorry to see it's got so much tin worm :o

Age old problem of rust starting at weak points in the stonechip/underseal, and spreading it's way underneath it.

Looking forward to seeing the 'after' shots though :) I painted* the underside of Matts car the other day, and it looks so much better. You two will be the ones at all the meets with mirrors underneath your cars ;)

Gotta say, I'm still impressed with the speed you're getting through this. Are you off work at the minute, and doing it during the day?

* When I say painted, I mean: Rust removed and treated, Zinc Phosphate primer, stone chip, more primer, then two coats of shiny black 2 pack :D Subject to Matts approval, it may also get a full coating of non-setting underbody shultz once it's finished.

taylorspug

Yes your method is much the same as what im going to do (gonna use the rest of the 2pk from the engine bay), i certainly dont want to do it again anytime soon, so the whole lot will be getting done proper :) . After all this work, im gonna make damn sure EVERYONE at that meet gets on the floor and has a look! :o:D

Yes im hoping to have it done by the end of the weekend, so not too long to wait!

Im at home all the time at the moment, made a point of taking a few months to tie up loose ends (read-finish my car! ;) ), then i should be working most of the winter building some VW Cup cars for next year. May even be racing myself at Snetterton for the last round of VW Cup in September, so want this done by then!

Its coming together well even if i say so myself. :D The main problem this week is iv had major food poisoning, so iv been very tired and getting up quite late, but at least im making some progress!

taylorspug

Well after yesterdays rust discovery, i decided to go hardcore and start fixing it today, as you will see from the pics ive added! Do i love my pug too much? I think so.... :)

Oh and a tip when jet washing away gunge, it goes EVERYWHERE, all over the drive, on the Alfa (great, thats not even mine). So ive spent most of the afternoon tidying up my mess! ;)

credowan

Dan

Looking good mate as stated above ur cracking on well with this, creased up when i saw the pic of the 205 on its side, what must ur neighbours think mate but as long as the cars ok who cares.Cant wait to see it gleaming under there, will there be any panel damage from rolling it over?

Gary

taylorspug

Does look kinda weird doesnt it?! Extreme parking lol!

Dont like most of my neighbours so couldnt give a rats ass on that front! ive done this with a few cars now, so ive worked out how to do it without damaging stuff. Basically get the car onto the floor, then roll it onto sandbags on the A and B pillar and on the side of the boot so its resting on the area with the most strength. Car will be fine, although it doesnt look like it there, none of it is touching the floor, its all supported on 3 sandbags! All i had to do was take the wing mirror off!

Of course this is alot easier to do when the car is fully stripped like mine, only took me and dad to do it! ;)

Paintguy

That's cheating!

Get on yer back underneath it, like me and Matt did! :);)

taylorspug

Nope, thats called taking the easy option! ;) fcuk getting underneath and doing it, i was doing that yesterday and got well pissed off, hence the rolling. Done far too many underneaths of shells now (dont know why seeing as i HATE it), although it seems OTT to roll it onto its side, the time and energy it saves clinches it for me! Plus im really not sure where all this rust is, so i need to get a proper look at it, ive already found some more of the bastid stuff just through cleaning it today!

cybernck

keep it up and put the image gallery url into your sig.

and don't forget you'll have to write a story for the website once you finish it ;).

taylorspug

Updated pics

Well what a couple of weeks ive had! Been busy as usual (mostly with my mates 1.4 Roland Garros, which will be gracing the forum soon enough, looking pretty damn sweet!), and its been raining so i havent been able to do alot. :):angry:

Anyway work restarted yesterday with the rust removing/proofing mission. Theres loads of it so its gonna take a few days, theres a couple of patches that need welding aswell, a new hole was discovered, so more work! :o

All of the surface rust has now been uncovered, treated and red oxided, all that remains is the welding, then stonechipping the whole thing, painting and laquering! :D

Edited by taylorspug