• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RalliArt

Titanium Valves

RalliArt

Hey guys, did some search but didn't get any results here, what do you think of titanium valves, have you seen anybody producing those kind of valves.

crossflow

Titanium valves are very good due to been very light weight, downside is there about £190 a valve and will only last one season circuit racing. I can get them made no problem

RalliArt

Can you describe the producing technology, i mean not throwing any secrets though but mainly how are they made.

wracing

I have heard of some people using motorbike valves and shortening them and re-machining the bit for the collets

Thanks

James

SurGie

Titanium alloy can only be made once, it cant be re-melted then reproduce parts from it. Its a very expensive alloy, very light and strong. The process using many different expensive metals is expensive, cant you use some quality uprated valves used for turbos etc ?

F1 cars use them or similar expensive metals AFAIK.

MiniGibbo

Pug1off made a 205 which iirc has a titanium valve and spring set.. iirc its the one that made 300hp or something insane na.

• Like 1

rallyeash

Or didn't make anywhere near 300 just inflated RR figures....

MiniGibbo

Went pretty well regardless of actual horse power haha

• Like 1

luke1987

Few places on ebay selling exhaust valves for subarus and evos made from inconel, Price doesnt seem to bad either if i remember inconel takes quite a lot of heat perfect for turbo/supercharging if thats what your planning.

petert

Race valve blanks are 21/4N which are normally tuffrided after turning to size. This is fine for turbo exhaust valves.

Matts205gti-6

Rallyeash sorry to disappoint you but that engine your talking about did make those figures would you really do a standing quarter in 12.6 @ 117mph?? A l

welshpug

yawn, if it was that good it would be quicker, a mere 200 bhp in a 106 will do pretty close to that...

The main issue with Titanium is that it wears out machine tools very quickly, and that it is not that stiff compared to most steels, though it is far lighter.

and of course you have material costs, all those added together is probably why most engine builders either use standard steel or stainless blanks.

Edited by welshpug

Matts205gti-6

Yawn do me a favour you have no idea you think a naturally aspirated 106 will go quicker than that we have won Santa pod several times. A few engine builders on here were up Santa pod in August and were claiming there gti-6 engine were this and that yet they were running 13's we have done a 12.4 end of no one in a 2ltr gti-6 naturally aspirated has done that. If the rolling road is wrong then I don't know that but 12.4 is fast with terminals of 117mph is impressive .

welshpug

I did not say a 106 would be quicker.

Please stop sending me abusive messages.

Edited by welshpug

Matts205gti-6

They are not abusive just do not like people writing things that are not true I don't critise anyone else's car so I don't expect it to be written about mine that is all.

welshpug

They are not abusive

really?

you are a complete prick!
Edited by welshpug
  • Like 2

Matts205gti-6

Seriously have you got nothing better to do

allye
Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg Edited by allye
  • Like 6

welshpug

:lol:

To the o.p, Are you looking to use Ti valves or are just interested in what the benefits are to the use of that material?

I did a brief bit of googling, and found one price for an off the shelf Ti valve for a big block engine, $120 each :o (o.e XU10J4RS valve is roughly £10 in the aftermarket but o.e manufacturer -TRW, which is $16!)

The material PeterT mentioned is a Stainless steel with higher Nickel content than most so copes with heat better.

crossflow

As I said from the very start titanium valves are very good but come at a price and very limited mileage due to stretching and the valve heads falling off.

You really only find them in big budget engines or factory backed engines.

Your better off having steel valves in your engine to be honest.

Me too would like to see the GTI6 engine named above on an engine dyno not a rolling road.

• Like 1

RalliArt

The idea was, can I take a solid piece of titanium and machine it till we make the valve itself, because i'm not familiar with the titanium specs as a material. I know that can't happen was good to discover inconel valves.

dav1

Are't some ppl always say rr figures irrelevant ? If some one can do a better time with a Gti 6 then let's see it I say. And yes there are loads of variables , but ppl comment or slate so let's see Wat they can do ?

As for titanium valves I agree just get some steel upradted ones but Wat do I know ha ha

petert

Are't some ppl always say rr figures irrelevant ? If some one can do a better time with a Gti 6 then let's see it I say. And yes there are loads of variables , but ppl comment or slate so let's see Wat they can do ?

As for titanium valves I agree just get some steel upradted ones but Wat do I know ha ha

Is this native tongue for your region?

• Like 4

welshpug

Looks like it! :wacko:

MiniGibbo

It would seem the drivers 'click arent fond of pug1off and there 300hp 205.. cant please everyone i suppose.

Sign in to follow this