• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MartinR

405 Coil Packs

MartinR

Trying to work out which KMS box i need, the one for coils with or without drivers.

Many Thanks

DrSeuss

No, they are 'dumb' hence the cars they came out of having ignition modules.

petert
No, they are 'dumb' hence the cars they came out of having ignition modules.

Beware that you can get "dumb" and "intelligent" ignitors, not coils. The Bosch 008 ignitor for example (found in some Volvos), is intelligent, meaning that it has dwell control, requiring an ECU with a "constant duty" output. It will calculate and maximise the charge time needed for ANY coil.

A dumb ignitor however, like those found on 205/405's, require a "constant charge" output. The amount of charge time is expressed in msec. On an aftermarket ECU with "constant charge" output you have to manually set the charge time, usually with the aid of an oscilliscope.

You cannot mix and match ignitors. A Bosch 008 ignitor will fail instantly if connected to a constant charge output.

The S16 has two ignitors. I don't think they're intelligent.

Some new coils, like the Chev LS1 coil, has a built in constant charge ignitor.

Edited by petert

petert
Trying to work out which KMS box i need, the one for coils with or without drivers.

I have no experience with the KMS, but I'd say it's like an Autronic ECU, where it only has a constant duty output as standard. If so, you'd need a Bosch 008 ignitor(s) or a CDI unit. Adding the drivers probably gives you the ability to have a constant charge output, enabling you to run dumb ignitors.

Edited by petert

MartinR

sorry for being shít, but im still lost.............................

I have a mini cooper coil pack and I also have a 405 coil pack.

Sorry about this but i am a total nub when it comes to car electrics.

Right this is my perception of it (feel free to bat me down in flames if i am wrong)

If i use the 405 coil pack...........

I will have to use the ignition modules from the 405 (of which there are two of them) and wire these inline between the coil and the KMS

If i use the mini cooper pack, i can plug straight from the KMS into the coil pack................

Any help always appreciated

Regards

Martin

pug_ham

What 405 is the coilpack from?

I've just got a loom from an MM 8P 405 today & that has no ignition module so I'm guessing the drivers are either built into the ecu or the coil pack.

The coilpack looks identical to the one I have on my MP3.1 which has an ignition module. :P

Graham.

MartinR

Hi Graham

No clue what they came off of, i just wanted the themostat housing and coil packs from a 405 lol.

Im so so lost, i just dont want to blow loads of money buying the wrong things..... :)

or worse.... wire it up wrong, blow up my KMS ECU unit and end up throwing money down the drain :)

Rippthrough
Hi Graham

No clue what they came off of, i just wanted the themostat housing and coil packs from a 405 lol.

Im so so lost, i just dont want to blow loads of money buying the wrong things..... :)

or worse.... wire it up wrong, blow up my KMS ECU unit and end up throwing money down the drain :)

I'm not 100% but I think the drivers are on the ECU.

-Phillip

smckeown
I'm not 100% but I think the drivers are on the ECU.

-Phillip

They normally are built into in ECUs arent they. They were taken out of KMS for better heat management; if I correctly remember what QEP told me.

Matt@QEP and Julian@BalanceMotorsport both offer good advice about KMS.....

Rippthrough
They normally are built into in ECUs arent they. They were taken out of KMS for better heat management; if I correctly remember what QEP told me.

Matt@QEP and Julian@BalanceMotorsport both offer good advice about KMS.....

Yep, although why they didn't just heatsink them I'll never know.

-Phillip

pug309twin40s

if there the coils you got from me then it was from a 2lt 8v 405/306 engine. xu10j2

Edited by pug309twin40s

pug_ham
if there the coils you got from me then it was from a 2lt 8v 405/306 engine. xu10j2

Paul, do you remember what management system was fitted to this car? I'd guess it was MM8P & if it is then I think the drivers are in the ecu.

Does anyone know if the MP3.2 from the 2.0T engine has an ignition amp fitted?

Graham.

pug309twin40s
Paul, do you remember what management system was fitted to this car? I'd guess it was MM8P & if it is then I think the drivers are in the ecu.

Graham.

urm the normal 2lt 8v system. mm8p sounds about right.

pug_ham
urm the normal 2lt 8v system. mm8p sounds about right.

Yeah, if its from an N/A 2.0 XU10 then its MM8P, thats what was fitted to all 2.0l 8v's.

Graham.

sonofsam

Yes it does:)

pug_ham
Yes it does:)

Thought it would've had cos the MP3.1 has.

I'm sure they use the same coilpack though so I think they will be "dumb" as suggested originally & need something to create the drive (ecu or ignition amp).

Just done a quick search on gsf & they list the same coilpack for the 1.9 8v & 2.0 8v fitted to most of the ~06 Pug's (N92512).

Graham.

Anthony
Yeah, if its from an N/A 2.0 XU10 then its MM8P, thats what was fitted to all 2.0l 8v's.

That's not quite strictly speaking true - early 2.0 8v's (605's and I'd guess XM's) ran MP3.2 management with ICV (that's where I got NickR's setup from aggggess ago if you remember), but yes, certainly the common 2.0 8v implimentations in the 306, 405, ZX, and Xantia's are MM 8P

pug_ham
That's not quite strictly speaking true - early 2.0 8v's (605's and I'd guess XM's) ran MP3.2 management with ICV (that's where I got NickR's setup from aggggess ago if you remember), but yes, certainly the common 2.0 8v implimentations in the 306, 405, ZX, and Xantia's are MM 8P

I mean't 405's specifically as that was what we were discussing as to where the coilpack had come from.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this