• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Arahan

Is It Possible...

Arahan

Hey all! This is my first topic apart from the validation topic!

Just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to change from distributorless ignition to distributor ignition?

Would there be extensive engine work needed?

Only asking because as far as I can see, this is the only spanner in the works of a project I wanted to start! Was just about to too when I discovered this major problem! Thanks!

Owain1602

Can I ask why you would want to do this? It will be easier to help and maybe suggest something else.

Arahan

well, i wanted to create a replica of the french 205 rallye, using the tu24 engine from a 106 1.3 8v rallye that shares the tu24 engine but is injected.

The original plan was to remove the injection system, fit the carbs off the 205 Rallye and put it all in a xs with the 5 speed MA gearbox. Plus other bits but this is the main part!

Then i discovered by reading a 106 haynes manual that the ignition system on the 106 rallye engine is controlled by the ecu through the injection system, so ditching that for the carbs would leave me without an ignition system! If you get me? lol!

Thats the reason for wanting to know!

Ive heard of someone doing it on a ford focus with extensive engine modification but thats all ive heard!

Sandy

You can use the distributor housing from an earlier TU head, they're interchangeable and all the cams have the slot for the distributor, but not all have the eccentric for the fuel pump drive. You'll be lucky to match a distributor curve to the charachteristics of the TU2 though, apart from the TU24 one they're all going to be mid range biased curves. Mapped ignition would be highly preferable, given the high CR and cam profile.

Arahan

So are you saying that unless I get the onriginal french rallye distributor i wonr be able to match it? But if i did get one, It'd go on?

Arahan

Or after just reading what you wrote again, you gave me the idea of sourcing maybe a complete head from the french 205 rallye, and bolting it onto the 106 rallye block, that way (providing it goes on! though im guessing it should seeing as its the same engine!) I can use the original distributor and the carbs and manifold would definatly go on.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Arahan

Grim.Badger

From what Sandy wrote the first thing you need to sort out is if the cam on your 106 engine has the eccentric for the fuel pump, if it does then all you need is a TU24 dizzy which I'd have thought would be much easier to get than a complete TU24 head.

Interesting project, be sure to post it up when it's finished :)

Arahan
From what Sandy wrote the first thing you need to sort out is if the cam on your 106 engine has the eccentric for the fuel pump, if it does then all you need is a TU24 dizzy which I'd have thought would be much easier to get than a complete TU24 head.

Interesting project, be sure to post it up when it's finished :P

and how would i find out if it has the eccentric for the fuel pump? i mean, io have no idea what it looks like! also, i could use the mechanical fuel pump out of the XS couldnt I? or would I need an uprated mechanical pump?

Thanks alot!

stu_woac

sandy has said there maybe no lump on the end of the cam to power the fuel pump, so your will need a low psi eletric fuel pump to fuel the carbs, you can get the dizzy recurved at places like H&H ingnitions or like sandy is trying to suggest get a ecu controlled ingition setup fitted, the dizzy is the cheaper of the two but I'm now relising that the ecu type could help out on my problem with my car not wanting to be advance and inturn not getting the power where I want it, so if you have the funds look into a ecu controlled ingition system if not dont worry get the dizzy recurved

Edited by stu_woac

Arahan

i was told to set the advance to 32 degress before at 4000 rpm? i need a 106 expert to tell me if i can use the fuel pump! ha! thanks alot for all the replies!

Sign in to follow this