• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Condensation Forming Inside Stripped-out Cars

Dave

All you folk with fully stripped interiors probably get this too, so how do you overcome it?

When I get into the pug if its been standing for a few days, there is a thick layer of condensation on the inside of the glass which I have to squeegee off (in cold weather this is ice, I get some strange looks de-icing the inside of the car! ) I also have condensation on the roof panel that drips onto the seats.

Seemingly leaving the frsh-air vents open helps, but it doesnt help enough.

What can I do?

I cant be assed having water-traps in the car as they would need taken out every time I wanted to drive it.

Guest CB-Dave

either half inch some packets of silica gel and stash them around the car, or nip to halfords and buy something called a "moisture mate" - you get it from the touring and caravanning section...

basically you leave it in your car and it absorbs the moisture, therefore no condensation!!!

I think it costs something like £10 for the moisture mate but it's worth it in your case I reckon!

Dave

Yeah we have got them at work, but the problem is I would have to take it out every time I go anywhere, which is a hassle. Plus, if they get spilled, the damp crystals are evil mofos and burn things and leave stains, they are very acidic.

Guest CB-Dave

wouldn't have thought you'd need to take it out - just velcro the tub down so it doesn't dissapear off somewhere and put the lid on so the crystals can't get out!!

Other than that, putting it in a heated garage etc would be another option, maybe a small heater inside the car keeping the temperature just above condension point?

Deadliest Pug

Get a dehumidifier and leave it in the car for a few hours, I got about 4 litres of water out in a day when I used mine and since then the car has been miles better, might be worth a try in yours and see if it makes enough difference because as soon as you have a bit of moisture in the car unless you get rid of it you will really struggle to improve it.

Dave!

Dave

hmm, we have a decent dehimidifier at work, Ill give it a go next time i take the pug to work.

TB_205GTI

Take the car for a long spin. Bumb up the heater to max. drive around 'till you only can wear your nickers. The open both windows and let the cold air in the car, when it's too kold (remeber your sitting in you undies..) close them again and bump up the heat. Do this 5-6 times and you will transport the moisture out of the car.

This is NOT a joke! It helps. When you bump up the heat, the air can contain more water pr. cc. When the air is as hot as it can get you open the windows, and let out the hot air escape out and you let some cold air in. Now you can use the fresh cold air as a kind of pump. The cold air gets warmed up, thus absorbing more water from the interior of the car.

I did this when my airial failed. The seats were soaking wet, I soaked up as much as I could with some paper towels. The I took the car for a spin, doing the "windows-manouvre". when I got home the car was completely dry. :)

Guest turnip

A good suggestion for first dates too.

"its getting a bit moist in here"

Rob_the_Sparky

Yep, I had to use the heater trick when I first drove the car after it had been sitting for a few months. However, if it is building up that much in a few days then you have a water leak somewhere. In this case you need to find it and block it up...

Rob

Sign in to follow this