• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugbliss

Lower Rear Sill Area The Paint Is Cracked

pugbliss

right prob is.....

on both sides of the pug, lower rear sill area the paint is cracked and starting to bubble and flake off. ( hope you all know the area)

took to a very local garage as he has done work on my parents cars ( mercs) before and its top notch stuff, anyway he said that he can sort it out by treating the rust and repainting it all for about £100

but the rust will eventually come back he said..... and to stop it all he wpould have to replace the whole back panel.............. is this right????

need help before i go ahead with this repair

edit: you need to put in a proper title in order to get people interested to read.

Edited by cybernck

jj205

:o Hi mate, this is a common place of rust on some 205s but not all of them. My GTI had rust there but my phase 2 XR 205 doesnt.

I dont suppose you have some pictures of it, to see the extent of the rust. The problem seems to be with quarter pannel, as its glued and spot weled to the cill floor area, and over time and strees gooing through the cahssis it flexis and cracks at this point, and you get seat belts trapped in this area etc all chipiing off paint.

On some 205s people have had the small spot weld on the bottom of the quarte pannel, in the corner when the door is opened where it joins to the sill crack off. The glue used is known as seamsealer, you can buy it in tubes, but over time that also cracks.

You shouldnt need a new pannel, a quarter pannel i think he means, that will cost a lot to replace. Unless the whole botom of it where it meets the sill is rusted through with holes, and then most people would cut out the bad bit and weld in another piece, and the same with the sill.

IF all the rust and cracked paint is on the surface, so it not rusted through to the insides making holes, its just a matter of sanding it all back to bare matal, using filler to even out the low bits, where the metal has turned to rust. The bit along the bottom of the quarter pannel and sill where there is the glue material, yours is probably all cracked, should be all ground out and all metal in there turned silver, so all traces of rust have gone. Then new seam sealer is re applied with new paint, and it will be perfect. As long as it prepared properly before painting, ie no moisture in the air or on the body, and correct surface cleaning.

It will only rust through if the paint is applied badly or rust or moisture is trapped under the paint. 100 pounds seems okay for the repair, but id get a few more quotes firsst, and see what they all have to say. Hope you get it done okay, sorry about the long post,

Jonathan :o:o

Edited by jj205

Alan_M

I don't think the actual rear quarter costs a lot, but the actual work to replace it does!

I also believe what he said about rust coming back though. No matter how hard you treat it, it will come back! The only way to prevent that from happening is cut out the rusty section or replace the panel!

Is the rust at the bottom of the B pillar?

Mines been flaking for well over a year now and still is bare metal! Lucky i guess.

Hope you get it sorted!

pugbliss

cheers lads!!!!

guess im gonna have to get some more quotes i just hope it turnes out ok cos im always sceptical of body shops as ive no idea what/how things are done?! mechanically im ok and have a garage that i use if i carnt fix somthing but this is paint and bodywork.....i havent a clue.

ill let you know what i do in the near future

Sign in to follow this