• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Rear Screen Heater

boldy205

just wonderin if anybody had any idea how to re-conect the wire that connects to the rear screen to de-mist it, if u know what i mean?! didnt want to risk soldering it as i thought the heat may crack the glass, any ideas would b welcome!!

pacey205

Youll be fine to solder it, just make sure that its not to cold when you do it (i.e. freezing) and dont leave the soldering iron on the glass for two long. I cant see any problem with it though as it dosent take that much heat to melt the solder, no-where near enough to crack the glass, unless the heat differntial is massive (like if its -5 outside or something) and even then I think youd struggle.

Michael

boldy205

hmm, have u tried it yourself? i realy didnt want to risk it if there was another way? i think i did hear of somthing called plastic metal? i may b wrong though. only thing is if i do crack it i wont b able to get mymagnex exhaust this month :wacko: may b if i heat the glass with a hairdryer, that may help!

thanks for the reply though mate.

pacey205

Sorry let me just make sure that your on about the actual connection to the rear screen, as in the bit that the connector goes over ?

If not then there is a liquid metal you can get to paint the de-misting lines back on but I doubt it would stick the connector back on.

I must admit I havent tried it myself but I honestly cant see it causing a problem. You need quite a big temperature differential to crack glass (i.e. boiling water in a pint galss, then lob it in cold water) and seeing as the rear screen isnt exactly think and a soldering iron being pretty cold relatively I wouldnt have thought thered be aproblem.

Just be sure not to leave it in contact with the glass for too long, do some little tacks to start with and then flow the rest of the solder in to create a decent joint. Heating the glass with a hairdryer would do although I really doubt youd nee to but for peace of mind you could do it. You could also get one of those things you heat in a microwave to heat plates with to warm the area as well if you have one.

If your still not happy about soldering it, have a look down halfords or you local garage or similar and ask them what theyd reckomend.

Michael

boldy205

yea it is the little tab conection to the wire, i think i may aswell give it a go, chears for he replys bud!

pugbliss

i put the tab back on to the window using that liquid metal stuff from halfords!!!

pain in the arse to do but it stuck quite ferm as i did put quite a lot of it on

boldy205

ah yea, think i have herd of that now u say, though i didnt know if it would conduct electrical current(i know it sounds stupid sorry!) i would b happier doin it that was as opposed to solderin it, thanks mate!

robertt

Once i glued the connector back to the glass with super glue, scratched off some of the coating on the main track (top to bottom of the window) to expose the conductive metal and used some conductive paint (for repairing element tracks) painted over the joins. It worked! B)

stevec205gti

I soldered mine back on. You have to be careful not to take the actual layer of metal off the screen by overheating it.

I also recommend taking the parcel shelf out when you do it = my nicely covered shelf currently has a nice splash of solder in it :blink:

Sign in to follow this