• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

allye

205 Sport Van - Supercharged Gti6

allye

Who wants a stinky diesel any way? This will make a much better noise.

84df23f0a9ebaf318bd11627669d179d_zpsjazn

• Like 2

roland rat

Far better engine IMO ;)

dcc

I reckon you should build a 1.9 16v alloy block, and strap the charger to that...

allye

Too late! I spent yesterday rebuilding a 6 engine!

allye

Alrighty. So as I posted above a 306 came up for sale with a low boost kit for a very reasonable price. Its only on 85,000 miles and in all round great condition with roller bearing wishbones, 2.5’ stainless exhaust, new drop links, TRE’s, four almost new P zero’s etc etc. I’ve gathered most of the bits to return it to standard 16v inlet and management, including rallye aux belt setup, standard PAS lines, standard loom and ECU. Then it will be for sale. Was a 7hour journey north and 4 trains then 300miles back down in one day, car was spot on though and didn’t even use too muh fuel. Annoyingly its much quieter at 80 than 70!

For anyone interested I don’t think it’s any quicker than my Goodwood was. You really have to have a ride in a V6 powered 205/309 to see what a impressive package it is. The super charged setup in the van however should be another level!

IMG_06311_zpspx5t8hd4.jpg

IMG_06321_zpsumecxbmi.jpg

I picked up a complete engine from will.m, I had fully intended to pop down in a van with straps all prepared like but I happened to be coming past so in the A3 it went!

IMG_06591_zpsflv8jmce.jpg

The history of the engine was “around” 100,000. Now being the sad twat I am I had to take it apart. The block was bone dry and oil free which is nice, gave that a good clean and paint with engine laquer. Decks in good shape, honing marks clearly visible, no piston wobble, good clean cams etc, so as far I can see it’s a solid engine.

IMG_06641_zpspahixtop.jpg

Stuck in some new stem seals, old ones were quite hard so despite the afternoon it takes was worth it, good opportunity to give the valves a lap too.

IMG_06671_zpsl6p4dotx.jpg

IMG_06681_zpselyxvaob.jpg

IMG_06711_zpsztub4f2y.jpg

allye

Fitted a gates cambelt kit, advantages of building things at your friends garage is cool gadgets. To check the belt tension when fitting a gates belt they have this, simply enter the cambelt kit number, put the thingy next to the belt and flick, picks up waves or something?

IMG_06811_zpsuvblfs6g.jpg

Cam covers got a thorough degreasing, luckily they still have the original seals on so half a chance of sealing, remember only 10nm!

IMG_06751_zpsrehyxzyk.jpg

Started cleaning parts, wire wheeling/sand blasting and priming, I like to use brush on zinc 182 as I find its a lot harder wearing than rattle cans. These will get a coat in Frost’s chassis black.

IMG_06571_zpsxvp6vtk2.jpg

IMG_06831_zpsbku6r5ao.jpg

IMG_06841_zps6ibwh21s.jpg

The parts collection is getting extensive!

IMG_06911_zpsafsnrhgf.jpg

IMG_06921_zpsxsmu7f7y.jpg

IMG_06931_zpshalynpy6.jpg

Huge project update. Swapped the glove box latch on my black one to a non locking item!

IMG_06861_zpshx6oqit2.jpg

allye

Not a hugerly interesting update. Lots of prepping parts and painting. Picked up a nice uprated gear linkage setup localled, adjustable rods and a couple rose joints, gave it a refurb.

IMG_0719_zps4drdn8k4.jpg

IMG_0743_zpsh46ppcns.jpg

Manged to drill out a couple of the hub disc retaining screws so all 4 are usable now.

IMG_0734_zpsmoxenbkj.jpg

hubs wire wheeled/blasted, primed and painted

IMG_0735_zpsuwxxpv8k.jpg

Servo and peddle box getting some love too.

IMG_0742_zpsy4khpltv.jpg

IMG_0740_zpszah3ajli.jpg

New wheels, some genuine BBS wheels, 14x6 so ideal for the van shell, direct fitment. Just struggling to find centre caps. Going for 185/60/14's.

IMG_0723_zpsvvkb0sdr.jpg

IMG_0727_zpsyibrba44.jpg

allye

Getting the engine nearer to being ready for paint which will be going on next week.

IMG_0753_zpsjy8rg8xj.jpg

IMG_0754_zpsqcnfvpdd.jpg

The under side is now finished thankfully! I hadput on a load of underseal but it gives a inaccurate matt finish so I've given it a couple coats of tractor enamel which had come up lovely.

IMG_0757_zpszpldtdk9.jpg

IMG_0758_zps2whawo95.jpg

And finally picked up my rebuilt beam today, its GTI spec with the bars but still retaining the base model amrs/drums so the wheels aren't pushed too far out.

12834493_10156664152180338_494952940_n_z

Ive not new bushes and mounts for this as well as new shoes, cylinders and hand brake cables.

• Like 1

allye

After recieving the new beam i quickly set about setting fire to it. and sticking in some new bushes, much tighter now.

IMG_0787_zpsunaxdqhn.jpg

IMG_0788_zpsbgi1gczx.jpg

Manifold has been cut and welded, only had to go in and out a couple times.

IMG_0783_zpsvifftey2.jpg

Took delivery of the tyres, Falken 914's, had them on my goodwood. Was very happy with them, 4 for £135 delivered is not to sniffed at either. Found a website even cheaper than camskill. 185/60/14 for my 6j wheels.

IMG_0795_zpsgscwzpjm.jpg

Sized up a vivaro/traffic intercooler online and it looked to fit, larger than the BMW ones some times used. My shortened radiator will fit under this with the bar removed. The aim it the had the oil cooler in front of the rad/intercooler rather than behind driving lights as I'd like to retain those.

IMG_0796_zpsqlp9rm4t.jpg

allye

De-diesel'd my engine bay wiring loom.

IMG_0791_zpsmwbm24yq.jpg

Labelled up my GTI6 loom reading for mating at some point, no numbers annoyingly so multimetre it was.

IMG_0794_zpseumahsa2.jpg

Got some 1.9 calipers from stef, stripped painted with new seals.

IMG_0805_zpsl9dp63du.jpg

Got round to painting the engine bay. Not perfect by any means but tidy for now. The kast real hurdle to making proper progress.

IMG_0804_zpsx2vcmijt.jpg

the parts pile is getting silly now, can also see the 306 PAS rack I got from Anthony, cleaned and fitted with new 205 track rods and ends.

IMG_0806_zpslfsut6ur.jpg

• Like 1

roland rat

Coming along nicely but I'm thinking that you made need something bigger than the 1.9 set up to stop it!

Wes

i've got a brand new brake drum here, you can have it if you want? i bought the wrong one for the gti.

allye

It's purely a road car Ash so should be ok! I'm restricted to 14's and short of a expensive 4pot setup it will be ok for now.

Cheers wes, how much? The drums on that beam have zero lip to benfair and I just put new bearing in them!

roland rat

Can't you fit 266mm set up behind 14 inch wheels?

allye

De-super charged the 306, now all running on standard inlet nicely apart from the ECU locking itself after the first start!

IMG_0813_zpsebevgu4d.jpg

Swapped the final drives in the my gearboxes. I spent quite a while on a gear ratio calculator working out what combination of gear sets and final drives would suit me. Its the final drive from the van on a GTI gear set, giving me roughly 68mph at 3000rpm using 185/60/14. New driveshaft oil seals, new split drive speedo, thoroughly cleaned and greased up the release arm and bearing so a smooth clutch!

IMG_0830_zpsw0y6gzzc.jpg

IMG_0837_zpsyv2sk90s.jpg

IMG_0839_zpshgx0gznh.jpg

IMG_0840_zpswbsodjf5.jpg

stuck it all on my engine.

IMG_0841_zpsfxinbjsn.jpg

New windscreen fitted with a new Peugeot seal supplied by Farmer. I paid less than £90 fitted for a clear screen FYI, Wiltshire windscreens.

IMG_0843_zpsqklghwkw.jpg

Glad to report after the heavy rain last week the van in now completely dry.

allye

Rear beam on

IMG_0824_zpshszgr5do.jpg

Fuel lines and brakes lines done, single line to rear as per 1.6GTI.

IMG_0844_zps6gep5yyd.jpg

New shoes and fitting kit, new hand brake cables.

IMG_0849_zps1iirsz4c.jpg

A little thing I've done to a couple of my cars now is to make small holes in the cable clips to allow you to cable tie them in, no more hanging cables like many cars you see.

IMG_0851_zpspvfkgrml.jpg

Engine bay prepped, abosolute tarty heat shield.

20160401_114840%20Large.jpg

Sling the engine in, from underneath for maximum ease.

215b4e568b17f72a7f6f2cfd066ccc4e_zpsw7si

Quick repair on the oil level sender, insulation had come away.

IMG_0857_zpsjwfbn7ed.jpg

Had a fiddle with the mounting points on my 405 seats, usuing 205 5 dr sub frames as enabled me to mount the drivers seat fruther back and as low as possible on original mounts, position is perfect, bulkhead will be modified and moved back to accomodate.

IMG_0877_zpsy43dlu2z.jpg

allye

Clearance on the pulleys is rather tight, there is space to move the engine a few mm to the near side, I'm also going to add a top mount buffer to stop engine movement in this direction so extra safety!

20160401_135547%20Large.jpg

Sub frame in, had a wobble when the steering UJ was too long, just a case of moving the interior UJ upo the splines now all good.

20160401_132818%20Large.jpg

Power steering lines are almost a perfect fit, only the low pressure hose needs modifying to get around the top pulley. Exhaust manifold is perfect fit now. Inlet manifold is too long as expected, will shorten this next week. The 205 specific inlets have roungly a 88m tract length so will go off that.

camgti

Awesome effort that mate! Thats gonna be a sick ride when its done.

Bring it over to OZ next time your coming and Ill take it off ya hands!

Tom Fenton

You can buy a clip for the handbrake cables to hold them up. For some reason only shown under the 309 on Servicebox.

allye

I was aware there are specific clips for the job but a couple of cables tides is easier and more importantly means I don't have to venture into the parts depart of fussell Wadman dealer.

Awesome effort that mate! Thats gonna be a sick ride when its done.

Bring it over to OZ next time your coming and Ill take it off ya hands!

I don't venture to Australia in the winter any more! New Zealand is my new place of work. They give me many visas unlike you stingy Australians.

• Like 1

camgti

Haha, same goes for the UK!

NZ is an epic place, lots of cheap fast cars and epic roads too.

You on the beaches there too or something new?

johniban

Looking a really clean build!

allye

Haha, same goes for the UK!

NZ is an epic place, lots of cheap fast cars and epic roads too.

You on the beaches there too or something new?

Still on the beaches, refusing to get a boring job.

Looking a really clean build!

Thank You kindly! It's ok, aim is making it last a long time rather than shiny finishes.

allye

A little update, slung the rest of the suspension and driveshafts on so I could get it on its wheels and rolling around.

IMG_0893_zps8mknaxhg.jpg

IMG_0894_zps33yabcxp.jpg

*Note, s*it wheels only for rolling around, although the wheels to be fitted are going to be 14" and the same profile.

Finished off the modifications to my GTI6 loom, one of spikey's tacho looms soldered in and hidded in the loom, unused plugs cut out and heat shrinked. Throttle body wiring extended as the TB is moved in the supercharger application.

IMG_0901_zpsqyjlgqei.jpg

IMG_0903_zpshv28p35j.jpg

IMG_0904_zps0xeardw9.jpg

I also ditched the earths plugs on the head light panel in fovour of this terminals and a bolt for a more reliable and unexposed earthing point.

IMG_0897_zpsv4760ziz.jpg

allye

Bit of a alternative intercooler location, radiator is a shortened double core item which has enabled me to move it over and under the drivers headlight so allow air flow. I will be using a inlet air temperature guage so I will be able to see the temps.

My opinion is that the slightly restrictefd air flow will be will be outweighed by not being rammed right up close to a 90c radiator. Also means I can run the base model valances for a while!

IMG_0908_zps9qzufhkb.jpg

IMG_0917_zps2yu4oimx.jpg

IMG_0915_zps5ggdqbqd.jpg

IMG_0921_zpsrz8ttx8c.jpg

The oil cooler will be mounted above the radiator, slightly layed back as space restrictions dictate they cannot stand up! Mounted on rubber bobbins.

IMG_0922_zps3za7rpii.jpg

IMG_0923_zpsihvjyacn.jpg

Also note I am going to make a aliminium shrowd to funnel cold air over the IC and not allowing hot air from the rad to enter the IC! All parked up, I start work and a very busy period so progress will slow some what now.

IMG_0925_zpskbxnljqh.jpg