• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
trialster

309 Gti ---> 309 Mi16 Wiring Help Needed.

trialster

hey guys, just fiddling around with the wiring looms (headache!)

just wondering if all the half green/ half yellow wires are earths? if so, it appears that i dont have a starter wire in my 6 pin brown(well technically white 8 pin) plug? :S

in my brown plug so-far i have:

1 nowt

2 fuel pump

3 earth (?)

4 rpm meter

5 nowt

6 a red wire which leads to the coil...

7 nowt

8 nowt

the 9 pin brown plug has 9 wires

1 reverse

2 reverse

3 coolant

4 coolant meter

5 alternator

6 oil pressure

7 oil temp

8 oil pressure light

9 switched positive

sound right?

also does anyone know what the k-light wire is? and should i have one??

i have tried searching guys but i dont seem to get on with this search ngine atall :S

cheers for your help in advance.

Will

GLPoomobile

Pin 9 (your switched live) is the starter solenoid wire.

GLPoomobile

Sorry, I'm wrong. It's amazing how a single glass of wine can impare ones memory!

Pin 9 is the switched live to the coil, and pin 6 of the 6 pin plug (or 8 pin in your case) is the starter. At least that's how it is on mine.

IIRC I have seen other wiring diagrams where pin 6 is to the coil like you said, so it's a bit confusing.

trialster

ok, thanks for your help, i'll piece the already chopped looms back together to work out which wire goes to the starter; it's all a bit confusing!

anyone got any ideas what the k-light wire is for? also the green and yellow wires, are they all earth?

taa!!

luggy
anyone got any ideas what the k-light wire is for? also the green and yellow wires, are they all earth?

taa!!

K light is the engine diagnostic on motronic managment, wire 74. If you car is not a phase 2 then this wire wont be plumbed in to the two connectors, but I believe you can wire it up heres a link

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...ic=6824&hl=

d-9

compare the wire numbers with the ones on the diagrams in the 309 haynes manual, as the wire no's and plug layouts differ between 205 and 309s.

trialster

thanks guys, have now finished the loom.

i do still need to check one thing though, does anyone know where the fuel pump relay is located on the 405? it it within the loom towards the ecu end? or is it located somewhere under the dash as on the 309?

i've now scrapped the 405, so hopefully its in place near the end of the loom?!

Mikey S
thanks guys, have now finished the loom.

i do still need to check one thing though, does anyone know where the fuel pump relay is located on the 405? it it within the loom towards the ecu end? or is it located somewhere under the dash as on the 309?

i've now scrapped the 405, so hopefully its in place near the end of the loom?!

its in the black box that was orignally mounted on the inner wing in the 405. its greens and it should be by the brown ecu relay and two fuses. they should all be at the same place on the loom (they are on mine anyhow).

mike

trialster
its in the black box that was orignally mounted on the inner wing in the 405. its greens and it should be by the brown ecu relay and two fuses. they should all be at the same place on the loom (they are on mine anyhow).

mike

cheers, exactly what i wanted to hear :blush:

trialster

ok, got the engine in today and connected up the wiring.

none of the dash lights work, and neither does the fuel pump, but when i turn the key it does turn over.

any ideas as to what the problem might be?

thanks

pug_ham

Have you wired the fuel pump through one or two fuses? Check they aren't blown, if you have both continuity & then power between the wire on the fuel pump relay & plug under the rear seat, try a different fuel ump relay, injection relay.(there should be two relays in the black box mentioned above)

As long as the fuel pump is all wired correctly with no blown fuses then it should work fine.

As for the dash lights, also the check fuses (#1 10amp iirc) & y shorting the wire against the block to see if the guages go full scale or warning light come on.

Graham.

trialster
Have you wired the fuel pump through one or two fuses? Check they aren't blown, if you have both continuity & then power between the wire on the fuel pump relay & plug under the rear seat, try a different fuel ump relay, injection relay.(there should be two relays in the black box mentioned above)

As long as the fuel pump is all wired correctly with no blown fuses then it should work fine.

As for the dash lights, also the check fuses (#1 10amp iirc) & y shorting the wire against the block to see if the guages go full scale or warning light come on.

Graham.

thanks for the reply this festive season, i have now sorted the fuel pump problem, but still havent dealt with the dash.

when you say try shorting the wire on the block, do you mean each individual sensor wire in turn?

Will

pug_ham
when you say try shorting the wire on the block, do you mean each individual sensor wire in turn?

Yes, shorting each individual sender wire aginst the block should send the respective guage gull scale or put the red wanrning icon on.

Graham.

trialster
Yes, shorting each individual sender wire aginst the block should send the respective guage gull scale or put the red wanrning icon on.

Graham.

brill! shall try this tomorow without a doubt :D

ta

Will

pug_ham

Just a thought, did you change any of the wiring for the guages etc to fit the Mi16 wiring loom?

I usually leave these wires as they were to avoid causing any problems because all of the senders etc are the same between 8v & Mi16.

Graham.

trialster
Just a thought, did you change any of the wiring for the guages etc to fit the Mi16 wiring loom?

I usually leave these wires as they were to avoid causing any problems because all of the senders etc are the same between 8v & Mi16.

Graham.

i've joined the 8v loom to the 16v loom. before realising that it isnt the way to do it :P

now i have to angle the manifold a bit back because i angled it too far before :) (more fookin welding!)

no more luck with the wiring im afraid :( found that the earth wire for the fuel sender isnt working, which is strange? i was thinking, are there a bunch of gauges that share a common earth? maybe thats damaged?

i think getting a 309 specific haynes is the next step for the proper wiring diagrams ..

ta

Sign in to follow this