• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
veloce200

Tu To Be1 Adapter

veloce200

I know this has been covered before and I did try a bit of reading in the archives to no avail - does anyone know if a TU to BE1 adapter is available and from where?

thanks

Julian

Hilgie

BE to TU adapter is found on the 307 1.6 petrol engines. They have a BE4 box which mates to the TU engine. Sam had made quite some progress getting the parts, so might want to ask him.

veloce200
BE to TU adapter is found on the 307 1.6 petrol engines. They have a BE4 box which mates to the TU engine. Sam had made quite some progress getting the parts, so might want to ask him.

is that sonofsam? thanks Hilgie

Sam

No it was me, I didn't use an adapter but was going to use a BE4 box from the 307. You need a 206 clutch cable bracket and a very long cable, the intermediate bearing housing you also need and I was going to use 1.9 shafts. There was a thread on SSC about it, I never completed my conversion unfortunately.

SPGTi
I know this has been covered before and I did try a bit of reading in the archives to no avail - does anyone know if a TU to BE1 adapter is available and from where?

thanks

Julian

problem is that on BE1 and 3 boxes the starter motor is at the front whereas for the TU engine it needs to be at the back.

As mentioned the BE4 box solves this as does a 106cup car box.

I think Sandy has done this conversion.

Steve

Sam

Sandy started it - infact I had the box he was going to use (which Jackherer now has but don't think he is planning a conversion). AFAIK Sandy's working on a conversion for a customer at the moment.

TT205

Spike (on this forum) modified the BE bell housing so that he could run a BE box on his mod prod TU race cars

He offered to get a bunch of these done for people on the forum a couple of years ago but there was no interest at the time - pm him or contact him through www.teamgeenracing.co.uk

Dave

veloce200

thanks guys. appreciated

jackherer
(which Jackherer now has but don't think he is planning a conversion)

no I'm not planning on using it, but the cable shift parts are going to be useful....

if anyone wants it minus the cable shift bits then they are welcome to come get it....

veloce200
no I'm not planning on using it, but the cable shift parts are going to be useful....

if anyone wants it minus the cable shift bits then they are welcome to come get it....

what do you want for it? So it's a cable shift box then? does anyone reckon converting to work with BE1 mechanism would be possible?

jackherer

you can have it for nothing as long as you collect....

Hilgie
what do you want for it? So it's a cable shift box then? does anyone reckon converting to work with BE1 mechanism would be possible?

The cable system is just bolted on top of the gearbox. When you take it off you can use the rods again.

veloce200

thanks.

yes ok i'd like to pick that up thanks. would anyone happen to know if the driveshafts fit straight in ? I suppose some of the internals are interchangeable with BE1? I wonder what the ratios are like?

the plan is (well I keep changing plan) the current plan is a 1.4 Turbo. Maximum economy with Maximum boost. compete against under 2.0 atmo in sprints. I have this urge to have a car that does:

over 50mpg on a run

revs to 7000 rpm

has 200hp

and lots of torque.

I don't see any other way to do it on a budget...

Hilgie

The gears are interchangeable yes. Driveshafts should be used from a BE box as it has a BE diff.

Sandy

The gears aren't wholly interchangeable. If you use a BE4 secondary shaft, you'll have to use a BE4 3/4/5th set.

Guest JasonS

Whats the gearing like on the standard BE4 box as it stands?

Hilgie

That depends on what engine it was on. As the one Sam had was from a 1.6-16V I suspect its gearing will be quite short. Bit like a 205 1.6GTi box. The 307 is a heavyweight and to get it moving with a tiny engine they have given it very short gears.

Guest JasonS

It probably wouldnt have the best gearing still though unless it was meant by peugeot to be a sports model as such? Could be short 1st and 2nd gears to get it moving and end up with large gaps for higher gears resulting in large drops in rpm maybe? Be interesting to know what it is like.

TT205

So use a BE1/BE3 gearbox - the ratios's and which model they come from are well published and there is the ratio calculator on smckeown's web site

Sandy

All BE4R boxes afaik use short first gears and the same second, so you'll need to use BE3 primary shaft and 1st/2nd to get a decent gap there. The Box Sam had was a Picasso box with 4.26:1 FDR, 4.52's are commonly fitted and you can find 4.78, 4.93 and 5.06 if you know where to look. The trouble is as I mentioned above, the 3/4/5th gears on all the BE4Rs can only be used with the BE4R secondary shaft, the splines are different to BE3. Mostly they are widely spaced 3rd and 4th, but oddly some 5ths are quite close, they really couldn't have made it much crapper if they tried. There's not nice standard ratio set, you'd have to mix and match from 2 or 3 boxes to get that, which gets complex and expensive!

As TT205 says, installing a complete BE1 or 3 cluster (I haven't verified BE1 suitability yet btw), is probably simplest, but unfortunately denies you the shorter FDRs and newer bearings etc.

Guest JasonS

Right, so you've found that the BE3 cluster is interchangeable in the BE4R casing and are unsure if the BE1 cluster is also interchangeable. The other problem i seem to remember being the case with using the BE4 casing is the angle/position of the top g/box mount as it positions the box at an angle giving trouble with driveshafts. I'm uncertain if this is a problem with the 205 but i think it was in the 106's that this angle would result in driveshaft-body contact. I have to look at it personally but i'm sure there is a way of counteracting this angle through fabrication of the top g/box bolt for the mount, to be positioned in a better location.

In theory it doesnt sound as bad as it probably is to do in reality :)

macaroni
over 50mpg on a run

revs to 7000 rpm

has 200hp

and lots of torque.

I don't see any other way to do it on a budget...

Sounds like you should use a 2.2hdi engine and chip it!

welshpug

hdi's dont do 7000rpm....

TT205
All BE4R boxes afaik use short first gears and the same second, so you'll need to use BE3 primary shaft and 1st/2nd to get a decent gap there. The Box Sam had was a Picasso box with 4.26:1 FDR, 4.52's are commonly fitted and you can find 4.78, 4.93 and 5.06 if you know where to look. The trouble is as I mentioned above, the 3/4/5th gears on all the BE4Rs can only be used with the BE4R secondary shaft, the splines are different to BE3. Mostly they are widely spaced 3rd and 4th, but oddly some 5ths are quite close, they really couldn't have made it much crapper if they tried. There's not nice standard ratio set, you'd have to mix and match from 2 or 3 boxes to get that, which gets complex and expensive!

As TT205 says, installing a complete BE1 or 3 cluster (I haven't verified BE1 suitability yet btw), is probably simplest, but unfortunately denies you the shorter FDRs and newer bearings etc.

Sandy may be right but this isn't what I meant and I don't want to confuse the issue

The very first post by 'Veloce ... was asking if there was a way to mate a BE1 gearbox to a TU engine - I said the BE1/3 casing can be modified (bell housing) to fit.

I then posted again - but I meant that a modified BE1/3 box allows you to use any of the BE1/3 ratio's and final drive's found in other 205's 405's Mi's etc with the TU engine

- personally I have no knowledge of the BE4 or whether the BE1 or 3 internals will interchange with BE4

Dave

Guest JasonS
The very first post by 'Veloce ... was asking if there was a way to mate a BE1 gearbox to a TU engine - I said the BE1/3 casing can be modified (bell housing) to fit.

Any pics of this, or who does the adaption of the BE bell housing?

Sign in to follow this