• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

tomcolinjones

Aftermarket Ecu On Standard 8V

petert

If you've got 11:1 AND an aftermarket ecu AND 4.4:1 cwp, I'd use either the Group A 7048 profile or Catcams 4900366.

hoodygoodwood

Its Sander Swinkels with the genuine 309 Turbo Cup car in Holland , its a bit of an ongoing project but he has recently updated his post with some new parts he has bought .I think I may of pinched the photo off his post years ago .I messaged him recently about the cup cars front bumper which is a special moulding made by a French company , I need to buy one but do not want to get it posted to me .

I want to build a replica but for the road so no stripped out interior or cage . I have a Goodwood front and rear seat set in my loft waiting to go in .

I never considered the turbo route although it would be more authentic , I have wanted to modify an XU9JA and this will be the ideal car for it .To make the most of the new management and cam I suppose some mild head mods would be in order , I will be matching the inlet and exhaust manifolds to the head along with some light porting work . If I have to have new guides fitted to the head that would be the time to get 3 angle valve seats cut if they are a worthwhile benefit .I will look into other cam options when its time to buy .

309jazzpanda

That's the guy yes, I stole the pic from him as well ha ha. I will be going with 3 angle valve seats from advice on this forum in the past.

hoodygoodwood

Got the 1.6 pistons and rods out of the donor engine today , they look to be in good condition but some of the rings were stuck in the piston due to carbon build up . Prised them out and will be pressing out the gudgeon pins this week , I will need to make a jig to support it .Do 1.6 GTI engines have the shim under the oil pump same as the 1.9 because this engine did not have one .

309jazzpanda

Use a vice not a press to remove the gudgeon pins

hoodygoodwood

1.6 pistons are now removed from the rods and have been cleaned up of carbon .Oiled , wrapped up and stored away till needed .

Cleaned up and painted the cam cover in Simoniz engine paint .

Does anyone have a thermostat housing with coil pack mounting and plug leads to suit an XU9JA, have searched Ebay with no joy .

Miles

If you have a late 205/309 type housing with the coil pack holes in you can use a Clio cam cover cap

309jazzpanda

Did they come out ok

hoodygoodwood

Yeah , pushed the gudgeon pins out , tight little buggers . I have to leave this engine at the moment as I am painting the block of my other XU then need to get that back together . Still gathering parts though .

Jonny_205

I just installed a DTA S40 on an 8V built by Miles, I used a GTI6 throttle body with TPS and Air Temp Sensor with a standard inlet manifold with an adaptor supplied by Miles.

Sandy Brown did the mapping and I'm really pleased with the results.

hoodygoodwood

Sounds interesting , what sort of power did you get on the rolling road , or is it not run in yet . What cam are you running in that engine .

I have picked up a spare inlet manifold and throttle body from a mate this weekend , I have cleaned them up and painted them tonight . Will be drilling and tapping a hole for the air temperature sensor this week , where did you mount your sensor ?

Jonny_205

I used the GTI6 throttle body which is about 20mm bigger than the standard one so a useful increase in air flow. The GTI6 throttle body has a full TPS sensor and air temp sensor built in.

I'm running a CAT CAM and modified head I got from Graham Rally on here ages ago. We got about 175 indicated on the rollers.

Cheers John

hoodygoodwood

Sounds like you have fitted a pretty hot cam to get that sort of power , is this a trackday /rally engine . I want mine for the road so will be happy with a lower level of tune . What have you got your rev limiter set at ?

The GTI6 throttle body would certainly free up the breathing as its a lot larger , I modified my std TB today to get it to flow a bit better .

TAG

Hi Jonny, can you give any more details on the spec of that engine please? pistons? rev limit? what catcam? driveability with the larger TB and (presumed) lumpy cam? Any idea of the headwork done?

Thanks

• Like 1

dcc

Youve done very well to get 175bhp from a single inlet! Does that engine have high compression pistons? And what cam spec? Quite intrigued. Thats the same sort of power I would expect from my engine, but i have throttle bodies and 12:1 cr.

309jazzpanda

I'm sure the grp a 205 was 175bhp ish with single inlet

hoodygoodwood

I will be using a piper 285 in a std head with little flow work .I have modified the standard throttle body by turning down the butterfly spindle from 10mm to 7.5mm , that's an 8% increase in cross sectional area at wide open throttle .With 1.6 pistons and DTA or Omex management I would be happy with 155-160 bhp .

309jazzpanda

Yes read on your thread the throttle body mod, I'm sure it's what the 205 cup boys used to do (although it was against regs). If you are having the head worked on I would personally go for 3 angle seats just as a matter of course plus if in the future you want a little skim for more compression you are covered

hoodygoodwood

I am in the middle of cleaning up and painting the thermostat housing ( no dizzy type ) for this engine that Anthony sent me . Will be using his coilpack and leads as well .Have stripped the head down yesterday , it will need a light skim , will have to see if it gets new guides or 3 angle seats .

309jazzpanda

Really unless it is a very worn engine it should not need guides, quite rare for a decent engine to need them

Edited by 309jazzpanda
  • Like 1

Jonny_205

The head was supposedly ported at Richard Longmans, rev limit is 7200, the drive-ability is great pulls really well from 2K, pick up is really good and it also has a GTI6 billet flywheel . Miles would have the full spec. Power is only an approximate figure as I did say "about" and "indicated" on a RR and not a dyno !

With a 4.4 diff and a tran-x it feels very quick, I use it for road rallying and I've had a couple of good results this year in the south west association championship.

Next job is power steering,

hoodygoodwood

What spark plugs would you need for this engine , with a 285 cam and 1.6 pistons is it modified enough to need a different grade of plug .

hoodygoodwood

Got the head skimmed by 0.5mm to remove the 2 spots of corrosion . The head was lightly ported to remove some steps in the casting and has now been reassembled .

Picked up a GTI6 flywheel from Alastair last week , now need to find a 215mm clutch and a gti6 TPS .

hoodygoodwood

The work on the engine and car for this project are now well under way , the 1905cc 8V engine has been stripped down to the bare block and cleaned thoroughly inside and out till spotless . Its been painted and fitted with new oil pressure sensor and switch .I have had the crank checked and it just needed a polish so have ordered new std mains and big ends plus liners and rings .I have the gasket set and headbolts so just need the piper cam and a vernier pulley and I can start to build the engine up .

Inlet manifold has a new air temp sensor fitted and has been painted along with the modified throttle body . The fuel rail , bolts and many other parts have been replated .I have the motronic flywheel and pickup plus the coilpack and leads mounted on the correct thermostat housing .

Its going to be a while till the engine is in the 309 as it needs some welding on the rear of the sills .

I still need a GTI6 TPS and will need to make an adaptor plate to fit it to the throttle body so if anyone has a spare I would be interested .

205freak

I have 1.6 on 45mm throttle bodies with std bottom end, 270º cam on a ported/polish/skimmed head, 306gti injectors, 4-1 manifold with 50mm exhaust system on std backbox, it changed the car completely,very strong and push really hard until the rev cut, but above 5000rpm it feels/sounds is another engine revving!!

Going to try to make a small video of it!!!