• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Strictly_Derv

Xud Larger Turbo Upgrade.

Strictly_Derv

Yes I had noticed that. Even with the same amount of fueling as the T2 the K04 was still much quicker.

Noticed it boosts a 2psi at 2,900 at 60mph as opposed to 5psi with the T2

chipstick

Did you take that oily thing in to your house and assemble it on your dining table?!

RossD

It's more about flow than pressure, you'll find quite a few decent builds running less boost than the basic tuned XUD's, not sure exactly what he had done to it, but I iknow a guy near Gloucester that has a DTurbo with a big intercooler and a hybrid turbo, no idea of the pump, but about 1.5 bar for 150 odd bhp.

No its not - not when you are looking at the longevity of things like the turbo and the charge temperature making life difficult for the cylinder head gasket and pre-combustion chamber. At 30psi the turbo is going to be waaaaay out of its efficiency envelope I would guess which probably means shaft overspeed etc etc.

Technical considerations out of the way, it loks like awesome fun though, the turbo whistle in those vids sounds good to! :-) Get it on the dyno and give those of us with technical-OCD some numbers!! :-)

Anton green

I... must... know... the... power... output :ph34r:

Strictly_Derv

Well for a petrol yes but for a diesel it could be different. People do run these up to 30psi on the VAG 1.8T engines with good results.

Some people run TDO4L Subaru turbo and T25's at around 35psi and have got 180+ on the dyno.

I'd estimate from other set-up and from what the car was keeping up with before this turbo it would be around 160bhp with epic torque figures. So would probably stick with a '6 engined 205 in-gear acceleration as it is.........(now I wait for the abuse :lol: )

RossD

With 160bhp yea, easy! Are you still running the petrol box with the shorter-than-normal-diesel ratios?

Strictly_Derv

Nope, got the standard 1.8 box, never had a petrol box.

welshpug

it'll match a 206 rallye with 150 odd bhp, not so sure it'll match a 6 engined 205 though, throttle response somewhat sharper from the petrol engine :lol:

Strictly_Derv

Well an 306 XUD with a T2 at it's limit will keep up a 306 GTI-6 and a big turbo'd XUD 306 will easily out accelerate a 306 GTI-6 so surely it could.

Only one way to find out :ph34r: Ahem Paul...

Paul_13

:lol: Would be interesting to see.

My money's on the diesel

Ryan's was f*** fast, that's with a kkk turbo maxed out and pump mods.

Strictly_Derv

For those who havn't been watching my project thread I had it on the FCS dyno, not the best dyno in the world but as it had no fans to cool the rad and intercooler but it's nice to know a basic figure to go by.

The operator bogged the hell out of it which I said not too.

As you can see the clutch was slipping before peak power came in but it made 178bhp at the fly on the best run.

maxi_ts91ATYAHOOCOM.jpg

Total build cost for the turbo and fitting came to £95

Anton green

Fantastic. Nice straight forward build with nice actual results.

Goliath

Very nice, what intercooler are you using?

Strictly_Derv

Thanks. Does go to show how simple these old IDI diesels are to tune and make decent power and can still run on sunflower oil and do 55+ mpg.

Edited by Strictly_Derv

Strictly_Derv

Goliath; I'm using a Forge intercooler.

IMAG0167-1.jpg

and yes they are condoms on the holes :ph34r:

Goliath

Cool, I am hoping to do some mods to my 405 td soon, i have a laguna intercooler waiting to go in but it's massive so not sure if i can get it to fit between the bumper mountings.

For future reference to condoms go on the stick not the holes :P

Strictly_Derv

Large intercoolers really aren't needed on these. I've seen people fit huge coolers on 306's with tiny K03's running standard boost which is absolutely pointless and just creates loads of lag. The original one is a pretty good size to go by if your after a FMIC.

I'll try remember that next time :lol:

Goliath

Yeh I will try and get hold of a smaller but thicker one as the laguna one is large but really thin! It was 99p though so I took the punt!

• Like 1

calvinhorse

Excellent result! What's next then?

Strictly_Derv

Engine wise, I'm pretty happy with the performance sadly I've got to keep the power down to 150bhp due to insurance reasons. May look into a better exhaust down pipe on the turbo. Other than that it will be getting caged, buckets and general tidying up parts.

ginge191

No update on this?! crikey!

For anyone following this; as a passenger this thing is stupid quick now... I've driven a tuned 306 XUD and a GTI6, this really does shift, putting out about 29/30PSI. The clutch i'd say still needs a bit more bedding in, or if the slip continues, a check of the fly to see if thats greasy at all.

Good work with this anyway! :D

also, notice the only use you have for condoms.

/trollout

Edited by ginge191

Strictly_Derv

Cheers Ginge. Hopefully you've seen the light and dropped this silly engine idea ;)

From what I've read ceramic clutches need heat to grip, think its normal to slip when cold, as you saw it was fine after she heated.

Sign in to follow this