• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Karl

Extracting More Power From My Gti6 (220+ Bhp)

Baz

True, but i was referring to the fact the conversation has gone East, rather than being applicable to what the actual question was!

harryskid

Going west then, whats it for, racing, rallying, hillclimbing or a weekly shop. How much is he going to spend ?

Tom Fenton

Let's face it that 220bhp is achievable by a number of methods. But Kyepan is right that it is torque that will make a quick feeling road car, and the easiest route to this is forced induction.

harryskid

Lynx power engineering!

These people do a super charger kit for the gti6 using a Rotex c30 supercharger. The kit will give on low boost on a standard engine a quoted 250bhp.The other spec they do varies on engine spec from 250bhp - 400bhp. Looking on their site they will do the work and the 250 spec will cost £4307.50 aprox and the second would be a nice £8756.74 aprox. This set up would be no good for me in rallying but would suit some one with no reg worries and deep pockets!

• Like 1

crossflow

For N/A 230 bhp is a nice figure for power verse drive ability. After this figure you need quite alot more money due to replacing bottom end with steel rods and forged pistons etc and the head needing solid lifter kit, porting to race spec and so on.

230 bhp Engine to give you an idea complete with mapped ecu to the engine, fully built and ran in and powered runned on the engine dyno would be £6-7K.

What is it you want to do trackdays, racing or rallying?

Edited by crossflow

Baz

I'd argue you'd be hard pushed not to have to fiddle with the bottom end, at least piston-wise to get a realistic 230 with a '6.

rallyeash

Agree with Baz

GLPoomobile

DrSarty's Evo project (what he called it. It doesn't mean it was some sort of Mitsi Evo influenced project, to those who don't know) was in this ball park power wise, with very healthy torque. I vaguely recall from a conversation that it cost him somewhere around the £4k figure, but then he did a lot of work himself, and he's a past-master at bargain hunting.

petert

I'd argue you'd be hard pushed not to have to fiddle with the bottom end, at least piston-wise to get a realistic 230 with a '6.

A key point. To make any decent power N/A in 86x86mm format, you'd have to fit big cams, meaning pistons will need to come out and be pocketed. Thus if it's apart, you may as well fit bigger pistons and bigger crank. I didn't suggest going to DrSarty extreme of 92mm stroke, as that requires custom rods as well. Then of course, we don't have a budget so may as well keep dreaming.

The cheap arse way of course is to fit a small snail and a cheap aftermarket ECU to otherwise standard engine.

• Like 1

stef205

Lynx power engineering!

These people do a super charger kit for the gti6 using a Rotex c30 supercharger. The kit will give on low boost on a standard engine a quoted 250bhp.The other spec they do varies on engine spec from 250bhp - 400bhp. Looking on their site they will do the work and the 250 spec will cost £4307.50 aprox and the second would be a nice £8756.74 aprox. This set up would be no good for me in rallying but would suit some one with no reg worries and deep pockets!

pffft! rotrex! Eaton ftw :P

allanallen

250 spec will cost £4307.50 aprox and the second would be a nice £8756.74 aprox.

:D:P fuuuuccckkk that!!!!

BusEngineer

As a ballpark figure how much did your charger conversion cost you Allan? And you Stef? If you dont mind revealing that information

Edited by BusEngineer

allanallen

As a ballpark figure how much did your charger conversion cost you Allan? And you Stef? If you dont mind revealing that information

Mine cost just short of £1500,that included a DTA ecu/loom + a full day on the R/R at chipwizards.

• Like 1

calvinhorse

Get a Honda! :)

Bite your tounge sir

stef205

My ecu was brand new so £750ish, charger was £150 the rest was made at work

(null)

As Allan said about £1500 with all the odds and sods

(null)

Tom Fenton

I had an add up and spent around a grand building my 1600 turbo. However I had quite a few odds and ends already, and made quite a lot of stuff myself. That includes a rebuild of the donor engine too. I spent quite a lot more at the time because the car had a lot of other stuff at the same time, before I started it was pretty much standard 1600, I did the lot at once incl the 309 stuff and diff, brakes, etc etc, however this doesn't count as we are talking engine conversions only.

The Lynx price may be a big number but I am assuming is a fitted price? So perhaps not as bad as it seems if you can't do the work yourself. I know I spent many many hours over a few months doing my car.

allanallen

I had an add up and spent around a grand building my 1600 turbo. However I had quite a few odds and ends already, and made quite a lot of stuff myself. That includes a rebuild of the donor engine too. I spent quite a lot more at the time because the car had a lot of other stuff at the same time, before I started it was pretty much standard 1600, I did the lot at once incl the 309 stuff and diff, brakes, etc etc, however this doesn't count as we are talking engine conversions only.

The Lynx price may be a big number but I am assuming is a fitted price? So perhaps not as bad as it seems if you can't do the work yourself. I know I spent many many hours over a few months doing my car.

The rotrex kit is mega money, the charger is over a grand on its own!

harryskid

I quoted the Lynx kit as an excample, i never said it was a must and theres nothing wrong with honda power!

boldy205

Makes me laugh how the Lynx costs £4307 AND 50p! Without that 50p, you cant have the convertion!

harryskid

Makes me laugh how the Lynx costs £4307 AND 50p! Without that 50p, you cant have the convertion!

The 50p most likey belongs to part of the vat man :)

cybernck

Some food for thought.

Super Production (SP) 306's have over 220 bhp on standard inlet manifold and 11:1 compression ratio

(and so do many other cars such as Civic, Focus, 147 etc). They do have extensive head work done,

wild cams, special exhaust and rev to over 8000 rpm though. All on a fairly standard bottom end

(block, crank and rods have to be OE spec).

Of course, these engines are not really useful for daily-driver road-going cars.

Karl

well i m using at as a dailly drive and might go on a few tracks days but i wont be racing it so class etc is not a problem i just want to sqeeze a few more horses outta my 6 lol.

call me a chav but i like pulling next to scoobys and evos and other bigger expensive cars drove by fat middle aged men sufferin midlife crisis and eating them for breakfast in my £1800 205 gti lol and it says 1.6 on the side haha question marks are us !

as for budget i was just pricing up my diffrent options simply to see the ammount of money i will be spending (and hours) to get to my desired power output, £ : bhp/ft lb ratio if you will....

so far im thinkin about getting:

block bored out - anybody know where and how much this would cost approx??

throttle body conversion - ^^^^

ecu remap^^^

possibly supercharger conv aswell (tho this sounds a little steap on the old coin hill for me ;) )

many thanks for your help and suggestions guys top blokes :)

cybernck

If it's just for an occasional traffic light GP, then nitrous is the cheapest and simplest solution by far :).

• Like 2

Miles

block bored out - anybody know where and how much this would cost approx = Expensive, around £1800.00 if done with good parts

throttle body conversion - £1600.00 plus fitting

ecu remap = waste of time

possibly supercharger conv aswell, pound for bhp is around the cheapest

Sign in to follow this