• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
speno

Mi 16 Engine Code's And Help Needed

speno

Hello bit of help needed here .... cos im a bit thick on the engine front , i have looked thro the forum too to help me but still need some answers

here goes , i have two MI16 engines one i got a couple of years ago and one i just got in a car at the weekend

1st engine code is dfw and has a cat on it ( i take it this was out of a 405 ?) alloy block .. it was in a 205 which had a shortened inlet manifold and angled exhaust , also has a 16v loom which i all kept and scrapped the car . had this engine running for a bout 5 mins

2nd engine code is D6C i take it this is a BX ? checked compression its running around 16 bar on all four ( about 225-230 psi ) this has the original exhaust but i think the inlet is of another engine .. this one has a dizzy converter on it , the ecu loom is from a bx but the other one is half of the loom is looks like 1988-89 car

have just removed this from a car but the engine was just sat in the car not wired up

Question is which is the best engine etc power .. ??

which is the best loom to use ie the one with dizzy? ( i take it the adapter is there soo you can use the standards loom? )

could i use the shortened manifold from the DFW engine on the D6C engine or are the throttle bodies different at all?

Edited by speno

Anthony

D6C (aka XU9J4) is a non-CAT engine that originally had 160hp. DFW (aka XU9J4Z) is the CAT version that originally had 148hp.

Use the D6C if you can, but ditch the dizzy converter rubbish and run it on proper Mi16 Motronic management.

Shouldn't be an issue swapping the inlets over from one to the other.

speno

Cool nice one for the quick response

( there will be more questions tho ha ha)

with that compression read out on the D6C, i think i will just change the cam belt ,clutch and go with that

Anthony

If you don't know the history, I would be tempted to whip the sump off to check the crank condition and replace the big end shells as a sensible precaution if the engine is out of the car - most original engines that I've seen have had shells in poor condition and failure is all too likely with the abuse that they get in a 205 being thrashed within an inch of their lives and usually with a bit of oil starvation thrown in for good measure.

speno

Cool might do that and have a look :o).... just been looking at the throttle body's one is a AMC the other is a webber which is the best to use ?

welshpug

whichever is not worn out!

speno

whichever is not worn out!

Soo they are exactly the same ? cos the brand 'webber' is morn well known for its quality products

Anthony

cos the brand 'webber' is morn well known for its quality products

"Webber" is an Aussie who drives a Red Bull F1 car. "Weber" is the brand primarily known for their carburettors...

The design between the AMC and Weber variants is slightly different, but as said, choose whichever is less worn and knackered

• Like 1

speno

I did notice after i posted it , but i knew someone would point it out pretty quick

Actually its Mark Alan Webber who drives for red bull , i do believe he is from the New south wales area

Does that make us 1-1 ha ha

But it explains it better the previous post cheers

(I am one for asking questions and want to know the reason for the answer too, if you get my drift ,other wise we never learn why )

petert

The state of New South Wales, if you don't mind.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this