• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
calvinhorse

1.8 16V Tuning

calvinhorse

This is the all alloy 1.8 Xu engine..

Am I right in thinking the Gti6 cams will fit with little effort?

I know the gti6 inlet maifold fits but is this worthwhile?

Any other advice on getting more out of the granny spec valver?

stef205

Didn't Someone run that engine in a 205 drag car with nitrous? I can remember the build diary. Maybe they could tell you what's best on that lump

(null)

dcc

im sure there was somebody on here who fitted gti 6 cams, inlet and exhaust to one of these engines.

dcc

Stef it was pip who had the head on a gti6 bottom end iirc. Im 99% sure it made marginal more power than standard. Phil will confirm

welshpug

28craig has done one too, i think you might need to use the rs springs and retsiners and stem seals for the rs cams to work.

Sandy has done work on these, last one was 230 bhp iirc.

• Like 1

Anthony

The standard 1.8 16v head is very restrictive in standard form. Much better using an XU10J4R or GTi-6 head unless you're planning to get it ported.

The bottom end is very good in standard form though, and if you do a search, you'll find some in depth info from Sandy on it.

Friend of mine (28Craig on here) did a 1.8 bottom end, GTI-6 head/cams/manifolds and DTA management and got 160hp and 125lbft. If you do a search, you'll find the thread about it with the dyno plot etc.

I was/am building one as a revvy 16 valver without the surge issues of a Mi16, although it's been on the backburner for a while now. I was using a 1.8 16v bottom end, a XU10J4R head (I felt that this was a better choice than the GTi-6 head as the ports are massive on a '6) with GTi-6 cams and manifolds. If it's of any interest, the recon J4R head I would consider selling as I can't see me getting around to finishing the engine any time soon - it's been skimmed, 3 angle valve seats and valves recut to suit, all cleaned and just needs putting back together.

• Like 1

calvinhorse

Thanks for the speedy replies!

Basically the cambelt is being changed so I was hoping to change the cams then but it seams alot more involved than I was expecting.

It's unbelievable how restricted the engine feels, it's like a 16v that hates revving

It's already got a gti6 exhaust manifold

Anthony

When you have a close look at the head ports it's pretty clear why - it's like PSA deliberately throttled it to put clear air between it and the 2.0 16v XU10J4R.

309jazzpanda

So if you had an xu7 alloy block would the gti6 head be a direct fit and power upgrade or are there going to be issues due to the size of the gti valves?

welshpug

Xu7 and 10 j4r inlets are larger than the rs, rs has larger exhaust valves though.

309jazzpanda

is that a yes? p.s what is rs????? thanks

Anthony

RS as in XU10J4RS, or as more commonly called, the GTi-6 engine

309jazzpanda

aaaah thats that answered then thanks for that

pug_ham
So if you had an xu7 alloy block would the gti6 head be a direct fit and power upgrade or are there going to be issues due to the size of the gti valves?

It's a direct fit & should give an increase in power over the standard restricted head fitted from the factory but no idea how much.

I also have one of these engines on the back burner with the GTI-6 head & cams fitted on the XU7J4P bottom end & will be running it on the GTI-6 ecu when I eventually get round to fitting it all into a car.

g

Baz

Friend of mine (28Craig on here) did a 1.8 bottom end, GTI-6 head/cams/manifolds and DTA management and got 160hp and 125lbft. If you do a search, you'll find the thread about it with the dyno plot etc.

It was mapped quite poorly though and since made a little more when we sorted it didn't it?!

Here's the thread.

309jazzpanda

It's a direct fit & should give an increase in power over the standard restricted head fitted from the factory but no idea how much.

I also have one of these engines on the back burner with the GTI-6 head & cams fitted on the XU7J4P bottom end & will be running it on the GTI-6 ecu when I eventually get round to fitting it all into a car.

g

Will be interested in knowing the end results for this its a concept I wouldn't mind going down myself

Sign in to follow this