• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Mi16Mick

Xu7 Mod - Rfv Head On A Lfy Block

205Mi16Mick

Hi All from Downunder!

This is my first post here. Currently I am building a 205 mi16 - and I will start a project thread for it - but first I have a few technical questions about my dad's 306.

We have a 1.8L 16v 306 style with the xu7 LFY lump in it. It blew it's head gasket so after much playing around we got the motor sorted. Well so we thought. We timed it according to the book but when we ran it the valves just touched on one side of the head. So we got a quote for a repair on the head - $800. Darn! OK, time for plan B - stick the reconditioned 2.0L RFV head we had lying around on it. We thought we had messed something up when we timed it the first time but this fitting had the same issue - the valves touch. (We test fitted it with plasticene in the piston valve pockets.)

Next, after much googling and head scratching we found out that the harmonic balancers on these can "destroy" themselves when their outer layer twists and moves the timing hole in them relative to their keyway - rendering them useless for timing purposes.

So far, so good - we rushed out and tried timing it with the other xu7 LFY balancer we had spare, which did have it's timing hole in a different spot, and ...blistering barnacles!!!, the timing is still out!

So, that's the long story, which seems to leave us the following questions for those with more knowledge and experience. :)

1. Are the cams in the RFV head identical to the LFY?

2. Has anyone done this before and are there any mods necessary?

3. Have we just got two bung harmonic balancers?

Or is there something obvious I am missing?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Michael

Edit: Typo

Edited by 205Mi16Mick

welshpug

likely to have two bung crank pulleys, you can use an 8v one to time it up.

or if you still have the head off, set the crank so all pistons are level, woodruff key on the crank will be horizontal to the block bottom face, pointing at the seal carrier securing bolts.

the timing pin hole is meant to be at 70 degrees to the woodruff slot iirc.

205Mi16Mick

Awesome thanks! Looking forward to seeing this one done. :) Just a clarification please - with all the pistons level do you want the camshafts locked in position with their timing holes?

Regards,

Michael

Sign in to follow this