Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Overhaul] My Reshell Project

130 replies to this topic

miamichris

miamichris
  • Drivers
  • 781 posts
I'd also like to know any tips for fitting the toad alarm you have Simes, as I plan to fit one on my gti project when the time comes :)

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,338 posts
  • Name:Barnaby Worthington-Titwank III
Chris, have a Google for Toad Ai606 installation instructions. I read a guide the other day and it actually looks dead simple. So simple that even I'd consider giving it a go, and alarms have always scrared me a bit. Mind you, I'm thinking from the blank canvas perspective, whereas if you've got a badly wired alarm already you've got a bit more work to do :)

Alastairh

Alastairh
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,897 posts
  • Name:Alastair
GLP, you don't even have to go as far as google, a quick search on here found the results: :)

Anthony:

Right, the wiring you need to connect to on the 205 loom side of things is as follows (cut and paste from one of the threads):

For those of you with Phase 2 GTi's with remote central locking as standard, I'll save you the hassle of working out the wiring - it's a negative pulse based system, and you need to connect the LOCK wire from the alarm (grey) to pin 8 of the underdash locking relay (on the side of the steering column), and the UNLOCK (blue) to pin 6.

As for the other wires you'll likely need from the 205 loom to splice/cut - the wire numbers are correct, and the colours were as they were on my car (but might be different on yours as Peugeot were a bit inconsistant with the colours):

Wire #1 (Red) - Constant +12v
Wire #2 (Red) - Ignition
Wire #46 (White) - Starter
Wire #48 (Grey) - Left Indicator
Wire #49 (White) - Right Indicator
Wire #76 (White) - Fuel pump

For the alarm side of things, the wires are as follows (another cut and paste):

OK, heres a list of the wires that you'll need - the others can be bound up out of the way:

Black cable with Red Tag - Permanent 12v
Brown/Green cable - Indicator 12v power feed
2 x Black cable with Green Tag - Ground
Black cable with Orange Tag - Ignition
Green cable - Negative door switch
2 x Black cable with White Tag - Immobilisation circuit 1
2 x Black cable with Blue Tag - Immobilisation circuit 2
Black/Green + Black/White cables - Indicator output
Grey cable (on siren loom) - Bonnet switch
Grey/white cable - Boot switch
Red/Black + Red/Yellow cables - Ground for central locking
Blue/Red - Unlock
Grey/Red - Lock

Hope that helps,

Al

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,338 posts
  • Name:Barnaby Worthington-Titwank III
Anthony's guide is handy for the 205 specific side of things, but this is the link to what I was reading the other day. Goes in to the basics in real laymans terms, and makes it seem simple (although there was a couple of bits I disagree with, but can't remember specifically what. Think he connected the starter solenoid to both immobiliser circuits or something).

Edited by GLPoomobile, 17 December 2009 - 11:07 PM.

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,947 posts
  • Name:Simon
Garage View Garage
Anyway back on topic -

After the reshell, well in fact after the engine was originally rebuilt by Miles back in 2004 we were always aware that it needed 'mapping' to make use of the slightly wilder cams....it has only taken me 5 years to do this!

With the cold weather setting in and the fact that I don't have the time to tinker on the car at the moment and after a quick chat with Miles it seemed the best idea was to take it back down to his workshop for some more work.

Car now back from Miles where 'she's' received the following work:

Removed:

3-row loom, AFM, Mi16 inlet manifold, ECU, dizzy cap, ignition amp etc etc.

Installed:

New loom and importantly new plugs etc
Emerald ECU
GTI-6 inlet manifold
Air Filter
Coil pack
etc.

Work is exemplary as usual. :lol:

Car was then trailered to a garage local to Miles who then carried out the mapping.

Well, I must say the power delivery is very pleasant and the car feels a lot more 'powerful'. My trip back home along the Autobahn last night was keeping me very amused especially now the way the torque is delivered in a very linear fashion. 3.5k onwards is even more amazing than it used to be, overtaking is no problem. :)

:):):wub::):lol::)

I'm sure I'll be back for some TB's at some point.....probably best to get my wedding out of the way. ;)

Edited by Simes, 23 December 2009 - 04:46 PM.

Galifrey

Galifrey
  • Drivers
  • 1,016 posts
Ah so it was your car Miles was having mapped...

Nice result, you must be pleased after 5 years deliberation :lol:

James_m

James_m
  • Drivers
  • 886 posts
Any power figures? :wub:

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,947 posts
Garage View Garage
Well.....

We got 171bhp & 140lb ft torque which is good, the unit pulls in a much more linear fashion and the power is instantaneous. It's much more responsive over 3krpm and overall I'm very happy with the performance. I've had power readings prior to this work over the last few years on a selection of rolling roads with 174 being recorded so returning to those particular rollers I would expect to see 180bhp.
The rollers we used for this are known to read under and this has been confirmed by other standard cars running on there. Also the mapping is not yet finished including cold start and idle.

Anyway it's off to Dave Walker in the New Year to work his magic on the finer points.

B)

DrSarty

DrSarty
  • Drivers
  • 5,003 posts
  • Name:Rich
Garage View Garage
Nice one Simes. The important thing being that you're enjoying it.

Dunno if you have, but you may gain something by removing the resonance chamber from the '6 inlet if you haven't already done so, and before the mapping at Dave's I mean.

Keep us posted and best of luck. I'll be at Emerald a few times next year; that's my resolution.

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,947 posts
Garage View Garage
As I rushed the mapping before Christmas we didn't get a chance to sort out the the idle and cold start. So I'm off to Dave Walkers next week to sort those bits out. I'm also going to set the ECU up to hold three maps and be able to switch between them on the fly.

I'm thinking:

Map 1 - MOT map, idle leaned off to avoid excessive HC's. Also with revs limited to 3000rpm to avoid mechanic thrashing it around the block
Map 2 - Leaned off at higher revs for thrifty motorway cruising
Map 3 - Sport mode!

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,947 posts
Garage View Garage

Visit to Emerald was postponed on Friday - will be going on this tuesday to complete the mapping.

Gratuitous picture of engine bay with the new bits:

137_600x400_zps5e177284.jpg

Emerald Management and new loom

All this work carried out by Miles @ Pug Racing

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,947 posts
Garage View Garage

Back from Emerald, not a bad day was had.
Mapping finished and we got 185bhp with 145Ibft of torque not bad really although we all know rollers aren't accurate.

Still a few concerns with the idle and general driveability what with it having cams and a plenum.

Probably going to go for some throttle bodies soon, that will apparently solve the problem!

187_zpsd496b836.jpg

1100_zps43688c01.jpg

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,090 posts
  • Name:Mei
not a bad curve at all :ph34r: which cams?

Looks a typical MI16 wave in the torque curve, looks to peak a tad high though, due to the cams more than likely I'd imagine, mine peaks at 4k and gradually trails down from 183Nm to 160Nm at peak Power.

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,947 posts
Garage View Garage

not a bad curve at all :ph34r: which cams?

Looks a typical MI16 wave in the torque curve, looks to peak a tad high though, due to the cams more than likely I'd imagine, mine peaks at 4k and gradually trails down from 183Nm to 160Nm at peak Power.

2x reprofiled Kent cams 262, they were a surprise find when I bought the engine back in 2004.

Miles

Miles
  • Pitcrew+
  • 11,693 posts
  • Name:Miles
Garage View Garage
Not bad at all then really with around a 10bhp gain on the std ECU and inlet with the average roller's

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,947 posts
Garage View Garage

Not bad at all then really with around a 10bhp gain on the std ECU and inlet with the average roller's

Yes overall a good and pleasing result.

Miles

Miles
  • Pitcrew+
  • 11,693 posts
  • Name:Miles
Garage View Garage
Thats pretty much the same output as Welsh Ben's 205 but he had Jenvey Bodies on his, Same rollers too

Baz

Baz
  • Drivers.
  • 10,300 posts
  • Name:באז

Thats pretty much the same output as Welsh Ben's 205 but he had Jenvey Bodies on his, Same rollers too

That's what i was going to post, now Keith's (masekwm). Not a bad result at all. Good work Simes/Miles! :angry:

James_m

James_m
  • Drivers
  • 886 posts
Like the way it keeps on climbing all the way past 7000 rpm :lol: Maybe a few more bhp to be had if you ran it for another few hundred rpm?

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,947 posts
Garage View Garage

Like the way it keeps on climbing all the way past 7000 rpm :lol: Maybe a few more bhp to be had if you ran it for another few hundred rpm?

Yep annoying, I set the limiter to 7200....bottom end is standard you see.

Reply to this topic