Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[car_overhaul] Zx 16V Project Pt2, Re-Shell And Power Upgrades....

DTA S40 GSXR ITB

245 replies to this topic

MiniGibbo

MiniGibbo
  • Drivers+
  • 1,511 posts
  • Name:Matt
I was 5 in 1994........

Does have the grounds for an epic sleeper though, what's a zx weigh in at..?

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,081 posts
  • Name:Mei
1150 stock, less than 306 s16, i run lighter wheels + tyres so around 1110 ish.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,081 posts
Made a start on getting the silver shell ready yesterday in between helping my mate Richard (Spannerman) change the clutch on a Mk7 Transit crewcab tipper twinwheel 100 PS.

Previous owner had somehow managed to break the rear screen, I can only imagine in attempting to remove the rear spoiler :wacko:

Posted Image

less of the street diamonds to hurt myself on! and a pile of trim bits...

Posted Image

from pulling out the seats dash heater box, to get at the carpet which was torn and flthy....

Posted Image
Posted Image

and to get at the heater matrix which was donald ducked.

Posted Image
then this morning Helped Rich sort his garage out and move stuff around, and got the donor in the dry ready to crack on.

Posted Image

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,081 posts
Later on today after lunch and the F1 GP, thought I may as well get more done and start tearing the black bent car apart, this one similarly had the street diamonds scattered everywhere and a pretty damp carpet, but most importantly it was in once piece, the heater matrix in this car is under a year old as well, 2 hours later and all the seats carpet dash and heater box is out.

Posted Image

Jetwashed the carpet off in the back yard and put it on the workshop roof to dry out, is now hanging over the bannisters waiting for the bath to be free....

MiniGibbo

MiniGibbo
  • Drivers+
  • 1,511 posts
Whats the score with the interior then dude.? you going fully stripped, partial or full fat..?

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,081 posts
Erm, read the posts/look at pics :huh: :lol: donor came pretty much bare other than ft seats and main dash structure, no rear interior or seatbelts at all.

Its a road car, so full interior with high quality light weight soundproofing if i can find the cash, o.e stuff is dead! But its mightily expensive.

I also value my hearing, so exhaust will not be loud, induction bark is all i need ;)

S@m

S@m
  • Drivers+
  • 1,199 posts
Nice to see the completely forgotten ZX get some love for a change - Even though i have had my 306 for almost 10 years now, i always wanted a ZX 16v; just seemed like the most performance orientated car based on the 306(well, zx came first!) platform to me.

I look forward to seeing this progress!

Sam

MiniGibbo

MiniGibbo
  • Drivers+
  • 1,511 posts
Yeah i saw the car came with nothing but just wondered what you planned as i guessed you had some sort of interior from your old one but have never seen a progress thread for it.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,081 posts
Indeed the ZX came first on this platform, had the 2.0 RFY engine before the 405 got it even :D

There's lots of small touches on the zx that never made it to the 306 and some of it is very Citroen I think, like the single electric mirror for the passenger side, the rear sunblind that rolls down into the parcel shelf, some models even had a sliding rear bench seat, rear washer jet at the top of the rear screen (had to wait till phase3 for Peugeot to see sense here!)

The wheel brace is clipped to the side of the boot, but the jack in a nice box clipped to the spare wheel carrier.

The clutch cable has steel wire guides bolted to each corner of the subframe, the bosses are there on the 306 but not used!

Yeah i saw the car came with nothing but just wondered what you planned as i guessed you had some sort of interior from your old one but have never seen a progress thread for it.

http://forum.205gtid...l=&fromsearch=1

S@m

S@m
  • Drivers+
  • 1,199 posts
I believe it was also the first car to take the RFS engine (albeit in LHD only) - but i await your correction here. Single wiper is very citroen aswell. Still, its second on my list of 16v citroens i want to own - jsut after the BX 16v.

Sam

Edited by Sam306, 03 September 2012 - 10:56 AM.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,081 posts
Didn't do anything Monday night after work, faffed about for an hour last night, front bumper was half off as can be seen in previous pics, but as usual the cage nut things were seized across the bottom lip, so had to take the angle grinder up.

Whilst I was fiddling at the front I took the slam panel off and unplugged the engine loom and drained the PAS res, wont take long at all now to get it out as there's no exhaust or coolant pipes left, just shafts and 3 bolts!!

Posted Image

Also swapped the wheels that Adam had put on to move the car as it came without any, he'll need them back soon as they're his winter tyres for his 406 Bus, comedy size difference, 65 to 55 profile!!

Posted Image

Oh and 3 days on the carpet is still hanging up in the house still damp in places! so interior progress is a bit slow still, but hope to get to a scrappy later on today and get some sound deadening as I don't work on Wednesday :D

BERTMAN

BERTMAN
  • Drivers+
  • 1,014 posts
  • Name:Liam
Garage View Garage
I also quite like these 16v's. Nice to see one being saved! (even if you did kill one :P) Keep up the good work mate

edit: to add mock

Mock:

mock/mäk/

Verb: Tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner. Adjective: Not authentic or real, but without the intention to deceive. Noun: An object of derision.

Edited by BERTMAN, 05 September 2012 - 10:25 AM.

dcc

dcc
  • Drivers+
  • 3,147 posts
  • Name:Dan
Waste of time!

He will only end up putting it into a wall or something again :P

Although he is going to rebuild his rear beam this time... :D

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,081 posts
yawn, have you finished that 205 yet? :P

Carpet finally dry, so dysoned it.

Posted Image

Popped down the sound deadening I alleviated from a ZX in Harry bucklands on Wednesday.

Posted Image

Carpet in

Posted Image

Fitted my shiny heater matrix into the heater box.

Posted Image

Then fitted heater box in the car, this one is so much easier than the 306 as there's a plastic plate and a foam gasket that sits over the pipes, then the pipes poke through the bulkhead and another rubber gasket and a steel plate is screwed down on the top, no faffing and cursing for ages trying to squeeze the grommit in place!

Two nuts on studs with fibre washers on the engine side of the bulkhead and a bolt to a bracket on the exhaust tunnel and that's it, wiring sits in a channel and screwed onto a few tabs across the top.

Posted Image

underside of the dash (which weighs bugger all) steel parts on the left are for the fuse box drivers side air ducting and general stiffness, on the right side is for the glovebox with an additional piece across the bottom, couple of in built ducts in the middle and brackets for the heater controls.

Posted Image

All done for the evening, no bad for 2 hours work :D

Posted Image

one of the other bits I got from the scrapyard was a two speed relayed fan control loom from a 1.9 N-A diesel ZX, as standard the 16v has a single speed single fan, the diesel has a single two speed fan as well but in a double cowling, the TD uses twin fans, a nicely self contained loom, I've used one of these on my 205 now, plugged straight in, just needed to splice in the fan connector :)

Posted Image

black lad

black lad
  • Drivers
  • 30 posts
Such an under rated car had one yrs ago and loved it, lookin forward to seening it finished.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,081 posts
Spent most of the day yesterday at Castle Come watching now not to go around a track fast :lol

My mate Richard (spannerman) has said that I should get the interior done first, then body then mechanicals afterwards, that way nothing will be left when it finally gets on the road.

After taking the front interior apart in fairly swift time, I thought I'd crack on with the rear and get that swapped over today, or at least it all removed ready, crikey what a difference, there's so many bloody screws its not surprising it feels so much different to a 306, took me an hour and a half to get all the trim off, seats were already out!

The bag on the light cluster is half full of all the screws that hold everything down from the B-pillars back.

Posted Image

A big box of trim panels! Going to grab some autoglym engine and machine cleaner and go over the plastics.

Posted Image

This little piece that sits under the rear seats you don't get on lower spec ZX's.

Posted Image

More coffee and time for F1...

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,081 posts
F1 done, got some Autoglym engine&machine cleaner and washed the interior plastics, then had a look at how to get the sunroof cover off, as its broken on the donor, looked to be easier to take the roof lining down to do this so remove all 4 grab handles, roof lining is only stuck across the very rear edge with a tiny bead of sealant type stuff, the rest is velcro'd in place!

Only comes out through the boot if you want to keep it in one piece, then I had a look up at the mechanism, AHA!!! that'll be why you don't see any ZX's with rusty roofs like you do 306's, clever buggers at Citroen used a plastic frame and bolted it :D not like Peugeot that spot welded the sunroof frame up....

Posted Image

Miles

Miles
  • Pitcrew+
  • 11,690 posts
  • Name:Miles
Garage View Garage
Just get a AC'd 306, never have problems with a rusty roof then :lol: and you don't get the horrid/messy Citroen wiring looms

But you can see why they never made any money, Floor pans basically the same so why not make more bits interchangeable, Same goes for the Xsara

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,081 posts
tbh most of it is compatible, heater box is the same, steering column and switches, but everything body wise indeed quite different, I think the front seat frames are the same.

sod all progress the last week as my mate Rich is having some building work done, and they found how the garage was getting its electrickery, the garage is across the lane with some armoured cable between two posts and into the shed at the end of his back yard, we found the cable simply goes into a junction box as you'd find for a lighting circuit :blink: then carries on to the house another 30 feet or so in some standard 2.5mm2 cable spurred off a socket next to the boiler!! :wacko:

given the roof is off the shed and the wiring exposed Rich doesn't want to leave the power on whilst he's not there in case it trips, he'll have a defrosted freezer and dead fishies!

Dan (DCC) popped up yesterday to have a fudged locking wheelbolt sorted on his C2, and dropped these off :ph34r:

Posted Image

Goliath

Goliath
  • Drivers+
  • 1,302 posts
  • Name:G
TRUMPETS! Posted Image

Reply to this topic