I hadn't realised how long it had been since the engine came out, c.3 months! Good news is it's almost ready to go back.
Since my last post the bay was stripped for painting. I had somebody out to quote for the job and it was about £250 with ME doing ALL the prep, so I decided I do it myself.. Any sign of surface rust was attacked with the angle grinder, followed by a couple of coats of Hydrate 80 and then primer. The whole bay was then top coated and the results are really quite good, it all paid off!
I then started putting some stuff back on the car to help free up some space in the workshop at home! Servo got a lick of paint and went back in, as did a new Peugeot OS engine mount, new clutch cable (speedo and accel weren't replaced long ago) and the loom was unwrapped before being treated to new conduit throughout. Repro stickers were also applied.
I'd had a new set of Valeo tail lights for Christmas which, as has been discussed elsewhere, come with smoked rather than white indicator lenses. Anyway, they're far more vibrant and I think they look ace against the Steel Grey. The backing in the originals was in pretty poor condition as can be seen below.
I had a local place, Langley Coatings, do some powder coating on a few bits as well as blast my manifold and battery tray for me last week. They turned it round in <24 hours and the price was pretty reasonable too. This meant I could put my Siems back together with new Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they're like, I also had a set for the headlamps. On getting this lot back, I put some of it back on the car and reconnected my horn up.
I also picked up another slam panel from the local scrappies and had an original colour match made up (the underside of my original was still the original colour, top side had been painted Steel Grey). The woman at the paint shop didn't much like the colour! "Eurgh, that's not a very nice colour is it!". It's starting to feel like it's nearly there now.
Re. the engine and gearbox, it took me a while to get motivated to clean them up as they were pretty manky, but I got them clean in the end. Initially I didn't want to paint them as I though it looked a bit artificial but once they were free of grease they started to oxidise so I felt I didn't have much choice if I wanted them to stay looking good!
It soon became clear why my clutch had always felt a bit notchy, the fork guide bushes were full of crud and the fork itself a little corroded - the fork went off for plating this week and new yellow bushes were fitted along with a new guide bush once I'd given the box a lick of paint. In other gearbox related news, I picked up a Quaife LSD a few weeks back so the crownwheel was switched over with new bolts and this'll be going back in once all the gearbox bolts are back from the platers.
I had my brother help me haul the engine into the back of my car so I could get it back home for paint. I also gave my manifold some paint and put it back with some OE gaskets and copper nuts once I'd given the rocker a bit of a polish.
Before all that I spent some time adjusting the valve clearances. The inlet gaps were all pretty good at 0.24mm but the exhausts were all 0.43-0.45mm, which according to the Haynes is fine but I'd been doing some reading on here and aussiefrogs that the engine ran nicer towards the bottom end of the recommended range at 0.35mm, or somewhere between 0.30 and 0.35mm even (ref: http://forum.205gtid...showtopic=65817 & http://www.aussiefro...clearances.html amongst others). So, I worked out what I needed, ordered some new shims, checked them with the cam back in before setting to with the oil stone for some fine tuning - I got 0.34mm accross the board so happy with that.
A few weeks ago I had a 1600 flywheel skimmed due to some micro fractures in the face - £35 @ SPOT Auto Engineering, seemed fairly standard from the quotes I got and he was a nice guy. I weighed it at 6.35kg (haven't weighed the original 1900 yet so not sure what advantage its made) with studs, fitted a new crank seal and refitted it with new bolts.
In other news, a massive haul of parts were sent to Electroplate UK this week so that should hopefully be back soon; I hope to be doing the brake lines next week but I'm waiting to be able to borrow the local garage's flaring kit, which should then allow me to refit the subframe etc; I picked up a slimline starter from a 405 at the breakers yesterday based on some reading I did here and sorted a solution to the solonoid terminal differences, gave a 1.6kg saving too at 2.9kg which is nice.
Think that's about it for now, should have some more progress next week and maybe even have the engine back in the car for the end of the month...maybe.