• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Simes

[Car_Overhaul] My Reshell Project

Simes

Visit to Emerald was postponed on Friday - will be going on this tuesday to complete the mapping.

Gratuitous picture of engine bay with the new bits:

137_600x400_zps5e177284.jpg

Emerald Management and new loom

All this work carried out by Miles @ Pug Racing

Simes

Back from Emerald, not a bad day was had.
Mapping finished and we got 185bhp with 145Ibft of torque not bad really although we all know rollers aren't accurate.

Still a few concerns with the idle and general driveability what with it having cams and a plenum.

Probably going to go for some throttle bodies soon, that will apparently solve the problem!

187_zpsd496b836.jpg

1100_zps43688c01.jpg

welshpug

not a bad curve at all :ph34r: which cams?

Looks a typical MI16 wave in the torque curve, looks to peak a tad high though, due to the cams more than likely I'd imagine, mine peaks at 4k and gradually trails down from 183Nm to 160Nm at peak Power.

Simes
not a bad curve at all :ph34r: which cams?

Looks a typical MI16 wave in the torque curve, looks to peak a tad high though, due to the cams more than likely I'd imagine, mine peaks at 4k and gradually trails down from 183Nm to 160Nm at peak Power.

2x reprofiled Kent cams 262, they were a surprise find when I bought the engine back in 2004.

Miles

Not bad at all then really with around a 10bhp gain on the std ECU and inlet with the average roller's

Simes
Not bad at all then really with around a 10bhp gain on the std ECU and inlet with the average roller's

Yes overall a good and pleasing result.

Miles

Thats pretty much the same output as Welsh Ben's 205 but he had Jenvey Bodies on his, Same rollers too

Baz
Thats pretty much the same output as Welsh Ben's 205 but he had Jenvey Bodies on his, Same rollers too

That's what i was going to post, now Keith's (masekwm). Not a bad result at all. Good work Simes/Miles! :angry:

James_m

Like the way it keeps on climbing all the way past 7000 rpm :lol: Maybe a few more bhp to be had if you ran it for another few hundred rpm?

Simes
Like the way it keeps on climbing all the way past 7000 rpm :lol: Maybe a few more bhp to be had if you ran it for another few hundred rpm?

Yep annoying, I set the limiter to 7200....bottom end is standard you see.

maxi

You got to love an mi!

Well done chaps, hope your enjoying it Simon!

Maxi

hd_andy

Sorry to hear about the crash..

Great work on the rebuild though - looks good fun!

Simes

Quick update in case you all though I'd got a bit lazy

Bought one of these - I finally did it after using MD's in the car for the last 10 years I've gone all Mp3.

CDA-105Ri.jpg

Drove 300 miles across France and then the poor radio cut out towards the end omf my journey.

After a quick investigation it turns out the matrix had leaked on it.

Removal of radio and a blow through with an airline fixed the radio, but I had to wait another few days until I was back in Blighty to fix the matrix. This was mainly due to having a spare one in my garage.

All fixed now.

The list of jobs is still lengthy - I'll get back on the case shortly.

Edp

Good work simes!

Good to see all the good bits live on in another shell! :D

Simes

Not much to add recently apart from I've finally finished installing/programming the TOAD alarm.
You may remember about 10 months ago I did actually install the system but left out the bonnet and also door switches as there was a dodgy earth which was sending false triggers on the door part of the interior light switch. I got a couple of switches from an old 306 my brother had kicking about so that's all sweet.
Decided to tackle the rust on the bonnet which I've ignored for about 5 years (bonnet was from last car) Drilled out the rivets to remove the sound proofing - which is now sitting next to the bootlid in my garage that I'm supposed to be using as a replacement for the current one.
Sanded down the rust to bare metal and applied fresh paint.

The bracket for my coil pack snapped the other day so I had to make up a new one, in a hurry....Like 2 hours before the south meet!! I'll be revisiting that part again soon to make something a bit nicer. Also my camshaft end caps have turned up so I'll get these on soon.

117_600x400_zpse79f6974.jpg

119_600x400_zpsaa01df6e.jpg

128_600x400_zps5cd1092d.jpg

Still having a few issues with the map, especially when warm - the idle goes crazy. A bit like an 8v hunting but eventually it goes from 500 - 1500rpm and then stalls. I'll fix this one day - maybe with some TB's.

Anyway I'm hoping a polish and wax will fix the problem.

180_600x400_zps29d5db8f.jpg

miamichris

A polish and wax cures all known problems Simes! :(

Smudgey1985

Speedy progress, it took a year to reshell mine!!!

Simes

Again not too much to report on apart from getting a new bit of exhaust made up.
The last one didn't have a kink in it which meant the centre box kept hitting the chassis. Now it's much better!
Custom made out of Stainless with a Lambda boss welded in too.

124_600x400_zps1fb7cde3.jpg

Over the last 500 miles or so selecting 2nd, 3rd and fourth gears at pace was becoming more difficult, they weren't selecting nicely at all. Realising that my 50,000mile old Group N bottom mount was getting a bit old I purchased a new one from Pug Racing. it arrived very promptly but took me a further 6 weeks to be fitted to the car, performed in a similar way to how I installed the last one:

Remove lower fork.
Cut through the rubber and metal of old mount with hacksaw.
Knock out the remainder.
Clean out shell.
Smear the new one with liberal amounts of grease.
Apply force with a copper mallet to tease the new one in.

All in and no need to remove anything from the car or take to be pressed in.
All gears work a treat.

What's next....mmmm door pins or throttle bodies.

Edited by Simes

Baz

Bodiesssss!!! :ph34r: You know it makes sense!

Not sure if i've commented in this thread already, but i've been keeping an eye on it, a great read and show of dedication and effort, well done Simon! :D

jakey

I remember you from a few years back on the TAG forum, when i was on a scooter. :D Nice to see a more indepth review on your 205(s).

I think your car could have planted the bug in my head back then!! :D

Simes
I remember you from a few years back on the TAG forum, when i was on a scooter. :D Nice to see a more indepth review on your 205(s).

I think your car could have planted the bug in my head back then!! :D

TAG - ha, must have been a while now, I used to have that 172cc Typhoon, that used to be fun....:D

jakey

Yeh i had a 172 Runner back then! Would love to build one again, so much cheaper than cars, just got a bad rep to them :S lol

feb

Nice work Simon!

I remember parking next to you back in June 2004 on the M3/M27 services and was wondering who the car belonged to (ok , wasn't this but its ancestor). I didn't know you back then, you later mentioned you were on your way to Miles for the 16V conversion. Your car had around 73k miles back then IIRC (weird how I remember such things!)

You know you want TB's :) , that would be my next move if I still had my 205 :(

Edited by feb

Simes

The recent economic crisis has meant that I've recently been made redundant so spending money on the car is slowing down. Allied to that I'm getting married in 6 weeks means I better get on with a few little jobs!

I bought some camshaft end caps from CRF450 ages ago and finally installed them.
I noticed that the coilpack bracket I made in one of the last updates had snapped. I'd only done around 500miles so I've found some thicker aluminium and gone around it in a diffderent way.

1105_400x600_zpsbf4e9f0f.jpg

The shiney end caps look nice and with that big coilpack in the way, well looked a bit crap. So I've another bracket to allow the coilpack to come down around 70mm.

Whilst I was there I fitted a shuntbox from a 306 (the 205 one was a bit broken in that it had little protection around the +ve terminals), This gave me a chance to tidy up the amp wiring and also connect the bonnet switch to the rest of the alarm!

Lets see how that goes!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, passed the MOT last week first time since the Emerald went on which was a little concerning. Fortunately Dave Walker prepared an MOT map and now having the ability to toggle between maps meant the emissions passed, lovely.

Edited by Simes