• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

AlexN

[project] 405 Mi16x4/t16 Track Car

AlexN
Absolutely stunning, and very ingenius, liking the Evo transmission route

Thanks mate, I am you are enjoying the thread! I quite enjoyed digging back through the history of the project to put all this together, it reminded me how much I have accomplished (and how much more there is to do!).

How much did the carbon fibre catch tank set you back if you dont mind me asking?

The catch tank cost me about £60 all up including shipping and import duty, I think at that price it was a total steal!

BusEngineer

Definately a steal, looks a quality piece of kit too

Keep up the good work :)

AlexN

So the brakes, I was initially going to use the 406 V6 Brembo calipers on the front, I bought a pair, refurbished them and was all ready to install them... Then I was offered something a lot more interesting!

4002127700_73bc0f060b.jpg

I was offered a full Brembo Gran Turismo GT for a Mercedes S600, they had only covered about 50 miles so the discs and pads were essentially brand new! The calipers are only four pots but the pad surface area is enormous! The discs are 335x35 and cost a fortune to replace!

4526873306_4e33038a70_z.jpg

4526872946_5b6d14455b_z.jpg

4526242927_7b40f19ae5_z.jpg

4526875112_70fcb18c0c_z.jpg

There were a few issues that needed sorting if I was going to get them fitted to the 405, mainly the bells, and the brackets. Neither were suitable for use so I had to design a new bell from scratch. As I was going to get them custom made I decided to incorporate a spacer into the bell so that the offset was such that the caliper was positioned as far into the wheel as possible and the disc had clearance for the lower ball joint. I am currently in the process of getting them made, once they are finished I will measure up and get the mounting brackets sorted.

4669133897_0b62593262_z.jpg

I made a mockup bell in wood with some help from my Dad so I could confirm my back of the fag packet calculations!

For the rears I am going to keep the original setup, I have refurbished the calipers and the discs I had on the car when I took it off the road had only done a few hundred miles. I have put a full new seal kit on each and I have purchased a pair of Goodrich SpeedBleeders to help out the bleeding process (the Mi16x4 rear calipers are a pain in the ass to bleed!). I will put in a set of decent pads, DS2500 or something similar. My pedal box has full bias adjustment on so I will be able to keep the balance between the monstrous fronts and the standard rears!

4752820726_7d73985124_z.jpg

I am really looking forward to seeing how this set up works in anger!

• Like 1

marksorrento205

Bloody stunning. I have really enjoyed reading through this. Cant wait to read more :) Kepp up the good work matey!

Edited by marksorrento205

Paulmac19

Maybe found you a keyring image for this piece of art your building :) love it keep it going!

post-13974-1278620132_thumb.jpg

Baz

Excellent Alex, i wondered whether it was still progressing!!

Great read, shall keep an eye on this! :D

Stephen W

cant wait to see more of this...looks really good and nice attention to detail. Keep the pics coming!

All Praise The GTI

all i can say is... WOW!!! awesome work mate :lol:

mmt

Any news about this amazing build.

More pics please B)

JamieTonks

this looks like its going to be awsome :D

backroadpug

wow mate what a build very impressive.

cant wait for more keep up the good work.

wracing

I'm working on it still!! :lol:

James

hexhamstu

This is one of those threads where you get to the end and you instantly think "damn it I want to see more!".

Good work and good luck!

stefan

Yes, can't wait for more, especialy interested how will the 'mitsubishy combo' work out!

Been thinking of using it myself, then read this...

Best wishes!

Edited by stefan

AlexN
I'm working on it still!! :lol:

James

No worries James, I thought I would give you a little breathing space seeing as you had a little 'incident' in you Mondeo!

As for updates, it has been a bit slow the last couple of weeks (mainly due to lack of money :lol: and spending too much on my mountain bike...), but I am slowly getting the engine back together and I have a long list of shiny stuff to buy so there should be some more interesting photos to come soon!

AlexN

Time for a little overdue update!

Not too much to report really, but I hopefully the shell will be complete and I will get it back around Christmas time, this means I should have it built up and finished reasonably early in the new year.

Apart from that I have been buying more stuff, most notably a Race Technology Dash 2! I bought it though a group buy deal on a Mazda RX-7 forum :D, got a sweet 25% discount! I am going to be running a DTA S60 ECU (yet to be purchased) and I have already managed to pick up the telemetry cable to connect it to the dash, I paid £45 when it should have been £150 (for a cable!!).

5073231962_3588b26850_z.jpg

5072633149_9e6c12f0bb_z.jpg

5073232930_fc0803734c_z.jpg

I also have bought my injectors, some Siemens Deka 630cc ones that should do the job nicely. I have bought a couple of weld on connectors for my fuel rail so this should be finished in a week or so, just need to get the billet fuel rail I have bought cut to size and drilled for the injectors. If anyone needs any -8 fuel rail I will have a couple of feet kicking around once I have finished! Also managed to pick up a pair of Sabelt 5 point harnesses for a pretty good price. I am slowly getting together all the parts I need, the plan over Christmas would be to get the fuel and brake systems in and plan out the wiring loom ready for a custom loom to be made in the new year.

5073231272_a371cbfb59_z.jpg

I have started to rebuild the engine, the head is mostly back together and I have everything ready to rebuild the block. Just need the head gasket modified then I can get it all back together. I can't decide whether to run ARP head studs or just standard bolts though. Anyone got any views on this?

Junosix

Can't believe I didn't find this thread earlier! It's looking incredibly tasty, you'll have to give me a spin when it's all sorted :o

AlexN
you'll have to give me a spin when it's all sorted :D

I'm sure that can be arranged! I am hopeful to finally have this project finished by March/April next year. It's been a long and expensive road, but the end is almost in sight... Isn't it amazing what we will spend on our old Peugeots!

Liquid_106
...I was trying to make up my mind about how much I wanted to spend and exactly how far I wanted the overhaul to go. So last August I pretty much made up my mind to go for it, and within reason, money no object!

God, you weren't joking!

Excellent read, especially like the roll cage, pedal box & extended steering column :D

Subscribed!

AlexN

Finally managed to spend some quality time in the garage (on a nice cold day, why didn't I do this while it was still warm!) and put the crank, pistons, oil pump etc back into the block. I decided to fit the new shells on the mains even though the original ones looked in good condition. Hopefully (touch wood!) I won't be rebuilding this engine any time soon so no point keeping them!

5110513863_f1368af0cb_z.jpg

5111118460_326823f1ed_z.jpg

The cams are fully installed in the head, and the cam seals fitted. I have noticed I forgot to buy the gasket that goes with the end plate on the other end of the cams, part number 0236 45. Does anyone know if this is still available? I remember thinking I needed one about a year ago when I bought all the parts I would need, so the fact I haven't got one may indicate it was unavailable? I really can't remember; I will have to phone Peugeot tomorrow and find out.

I just need to get the cross-braces cut out of my sump spacer as it won't fit with the windage tray and the oil filler tube. I am also going to get the aircon mounts machined off the sump to save a bit more weight, I won't be needing them! Is it worth extending the sump baffle up by the thickness of the spacer plate?

AlexN

Time for another quick update. Today I picked up my cam cover from the powder coaters. I had all the raised surfaces polished and crackle black finish applied, it looks amazing!

5229613283_18ebda8b56_z.jpg

And on the finished head:

5229613289_4c2771d3d4_z.jpg

I also got back my custom fuel rail from the welders at work, I've had the two end fittings welded on so there is no chance of any leaks! I have a good collection of fuel hoses and aeroquip fittings, I just need a few more and I'll be able to plumb in the whole system over Christmas.

5229613285_5abeac51b8_z.jpg

I have finally finished refurbishing the rear calipers all ready to fit with completely new set of seals and a lick of paint. I am going to use the standard callipers to keep things simple for now. I will upgrade in the future should the need arise.

5229613281_fcd77fb350_z.jpg

mmt

Great "no shortcut" build!!!

What kind of racing will you use it for?

jackherer

The cam cover looks good, where did you get it done?

AlexN
What kind of racing will you use it for?

To start with just some track days, but eventually some hill climbing (hopefully) and who knows, in the future if funds permit maybe something like LMA saloons!

The cam cover looks good, where did you get it done?

I had it bead blasted then the raised surfaces polished at my work. Then I found a place in Slough that would do the crackle finish. I saved a lot of money by doing all the prep myself and taping up all the polished parts. It cost £30 in the end.