• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Borntobewild

Gaz Shocks Sets Experiance For '93 405 Mi16

Borntobewild

Hello,

Like the topic says, i would like to add a GAZ Suspension set to my 1993 405 mi16

and i'm looking for other 405 drivers that have experience with these shocks.

I want the full set, front and back, without the eccentric top mounts, no need for them,

its for normal street use and maybe the nurburgring once a year.

As you can see my MI is lowered, 4-6 cm i think, the current suspension is old and tired.

I understand the handling will improve a lot, but i'm not sure about the poundage and spring length which i should choose.

One of our former members with a fase I mi16 had some problems when he cosed his hood, the top of the shocks made 2 dents in the hood.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

6H7x2xl.jpg
gaz-coilovers.jpg

Edited by Borntobewild

welshpug

6 cm lowering?! damn, I measured the clearance from my cat to the ground on a standard car and it was 110mm :o

Borntobewild

Well i haven't got a cat anymore :D

And i bought the car lowered;

The wheel spacing between the tire and the bodywork compared to my previous 405's a 91 GRI and a 95 GRE is almost non existing.

So the guesstemate is 4-6cm

I have no problem driving on the normal roads and speed mountains we got here in the Netherlands.

Edited by Borntobewild

JeffR

Can't help with the spring poundage. Maybe do a search on what 205 & 306 standard spring rates are to give you a starting point.

Not sure how your friend managed to put dents in the bonnet. Maybe he assembled them incorrectly? The lower pic has a standard top mount on a Gaz and the shaft & nut doesn't poke through enough to damage the bonnet.

DSCF0748_zpsd8cb99f1.jpg

Borntobewild

Thanks for your reply, i now know that the set that poked 2 dents in the bonnet isnt a GAZ set, so that wont be a problem.

jdt

I would contact GAZ for advice

In my experience they are very helpful

GAZ Gold is very good - just a shame that the plating does not last that well so they soon look secondhand

Henry 1.9GTi

For your described useage I would honestly stick with a fixed pan off-set spring axis damper. Bilstein B8 are really very good for the money.

Your ride will be better for the road and I reckon it would quicker round the ring with B8s and decent springs. If you dont need adjustable top mounts then its another plus for the B8's

Honestly I love the way my renault can take a B-road soaking up all the bumps, I know for sure my 205 would end up in the hedge if I tried the same in that!

Borntobewild

I would contact GAZ for advice

In my experience they are very helpful

GAZ Gold is very good - just a shame that the plating does not last that well so they soon look secondhand

Well my 405 is a driver and not a showcar so i dont mind that, although i dont like to hear that the plating is bad.

For your described useage I would honestly stick with a fixed pan off-set spring axis damper. Bilstein B8 are really very good for the money.

Your ride will be better for the road and I reckon it would quicker round the ring with B8s and decent springs. If you dont need adjustable top mounts then its another plus for the B8's

Honestly I love the way my renault can take a B-road soaking up all the bumps, I know for sure my 205 would end up in the hedge if I tried the same in that!

Bilstein B8 is a good option, ill have to look into new springs too.

Thanks for the advise!

jdt

to be fair to GAZ I have not bought a shocker where the boot does not wear through the paint / plating and looks second-hand in no time

Borntobewild

Is it still going on? cybernck :D

oww god, its my own topic, :') nvmd

Edited by Borntobewild