• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris adams

Xsara Gear Ratios

chris adams

does anybody have any xsara vts gearboxes split. im after the 4th and 5th gear from the box if any1 can oblige.

Edited by mi8 turbo

B1ack_Mi16

You can't change only 4'th and 5'th.

3'rd and 4'th gear come as a pair afaik, so you will need to change all 3 of them then.

At least as far as I know, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

chris adams

no. i fear u are right i i thought theres was more than first and second just wasnt sure.

chris adams

so it is the case that i need 3rd 4th and 5th from the xsara vts, if anybody can help.

chris adams

or does anybody have a box going cheap enough for me to strip ?

chris adams
How come you're after those then?

im intrested to see what the drive will be like with the longest ratios i can get.

welshpug

they're much the same as the standard Mi16 ratios.

chris adams

yea but totally different with a diesel final drive.

B1ack_Mi16

One thing sprung to my mind.

It's a long time since I opened a BE gearbox now, but at least the T16 ME5 series boxes the input shaft is machined in one piece, i.e. all 1-4 gears are machined onto the shaft directly.

So only 5'th gear can be changed separately.

This might not be the case with the BE box thoug as I think I remember people have been changing 1-2 and 3-4 in sets on those boxes.

imaS

BE-boxes are different. Some pictures.

chris adams

so is it the same for the xsara vts boxes are they not interchangeable.?

B1ack_Mi16

Xsara box is definately a BE5 box so then it will be interchangeable gears, 1-2, 3-4 and 5.

Pics in imaS link shows input shaft is splined and gears are connected that way.

chris adams

sweet as! nice one Black mi. i was doing some messing around on one of those spread sheet calculators and using the ratios ive picked out i could get a top speed of 200.76 mph at 7200 rpm it sounds rediculas but its dooable imagine that a 405 doing 2 ton down a very long straight :lol:

Edited by mi8 turbo

B1ack_Mi16

I've found I can only reach 270km/h with the standard T16 gearset at approx 7500rpm, maybe it was 8000, can't remember :)

But anyway with the 2.1 diesel one 300km/h is doable, but who wanna try it in real life in a 405? <_<

chris adams

4for some reason i seem to be getting things all mixed up :blink: the diesel ratios arnt that far off the same so just ignore me. sometimes i amuse myself with the s*it i come out with lol

chris adams
I've found I can only reach 270km/h with the standard T16 gearset at approx 7500rpm, maybe it was 8000, can't remember :)

But anyway with the 2.1 diesel one 300km/h is doable, but who wanna try it in real life in a 405? <_<

whats the final drive on the 2.1 is it be or ma ?

chris adams

does anybody know how accurate those gear ratio calculators are on the other forums as even tho the calculator says it will do 200 plus i just cant see it myself can anybody confer ?

B1ack_Mi16

Just calculate it yourself then.

Engine revs * Total gearing ratio (5th * final drive) * wheel circumference length = speed

Depends on your rev-limiter. Can you rev 9000rpm I guess you can get a nice speed...

Sign in to follow this