• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

306 S16 Inlet Camshaft

B1ack_Mi16

Does anyone have a picture of a 306 S16 inlet camshaft?

I have a petert stage 1 regrind 1.9 Mi16 camshaft I'm going to use in my T16 engine.

Well, at least so I thought.

But I kind of like the idea to use the vacum pump from the 306 S16 termostat housing, which will require some sort of adapter on the end of the camshaft.

So I could do with a picture to see how this is arranged and if it will be possible to fit it to my Mi16 cam, which of course will need to be modified a bit for this to work I guess, as there are some extra holes drilled in the cam for oil supply to the vacum pump etc.

petert1345402284

I think this is what you're after. The S16 cam has a slot drive for the vacuum pump, whereas the Mi16 XU10J4 cam does not. Note there is also an oil supply hole between the lobes and the seal area to provide lubrication. The Mi16 XU10J4 cam does not have this oil gallery either. Also in the pics is a tang pushed onto an XU9J4 inlet cam.

It's quite easy to slot an XU9J4 cam and drill holes for oil supply.

B1ack_Mi16
I think this is what you're after. The S16 cam has a slot drive for the vacuum pump, whereas the Mi16 XU10J4 cam does not. Note there is also an oil supply hole between the lobes and the seal area to provide lubrication. The Mi16 XU10J4 cam does not have this oil gallery either. Also in the pics is a tang pushed onto an XU9J4 inlet cam.

It's quite easy to slot an XU9J4 cam and drill holes for oil supply.

Aha, ok, so the slot is machined directly into the camshaft.

Might need to have someone to do that for me then. If you don't accidently have one lying areound finished with the tang and the slot? :)

I kinda need to remove the tang from a T16 camshaft also, but I'm not sure how easy this will be, it seem to sit there quite sturdy.

You made yourself a special puller tool? And what about then pressing it back onto the new cam, is it very critical that it sits at the exact angle?

petert1345402284

I do have one, standard grind, but don't wish to sell it. Just get some one to mill the slot, the position of which doesn't matter. It's easy to press off the tang. I use a 10T press which does it with ease. Position when pressing back on isn't super critical. There would be a window, 90 deg wide, that it needs to trigger in. Just make sure it roughly goes back on in the same place if using the standard ECU. Aftermarket ECU's may need a different position. For example, my Autronic SMC needs it rotated 90 deg.

B1ack_Mi16

Not too much of a problem then I guess, but how do you press it off?

I would guess I need some special tool to do it.

petert1345402284

I'll post a picture tomorrow.

B1ack_Mi16
I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Excellent :)

petert1345402284

Sorry, I've forgotten to do this two days in a row!

B1ack_Mi16

No problem :) Just do it when you remember it. I know how this is, always forgetting all things apart from the exact action I'm planning that exact day in the garage :)

petert1345402284

Here it is. Just support under the tang, then press with some round bar on the end of the cam. If it won't budge, heat the tang whilst pressing.

B1ack_Mi16

Ah, simple, I was thinking more of pulling it off, but that seemed a bit of a hassle :)

When it's off I will consider to hoone it up a bit and maybe fix it with two or three set-screws and locktite so it will be easier removed later on.

Sign in to follow this