• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

markd6303

[project] 205 4x4 Mi16/gti6 Conversion

Dj_mini

Looks great cant wait to see it in action! But why go for a std head seams odd looking at the rest of the spec?

welshpug
Looks great cant wait to see it in action! But why go for a std head seams odd looking at the rest of the spec?

possibly because the gti6 head flows so well in its standard guise?

I know Neal built a 220 bhp Mi16 last year with a standard head.

markd6303
possibly because the gti6 head flows so well in its standard guise?

I know Neal built a 220 bhp Mi16 last year with a standard head.

I did originally have a qep big valve head with triple valve seats,which we were going to fit with different cams made by piper.

the only trouble with the mi 16 head is the cam carrier`s are very thin and after you go past 8500rpm you have a chance of the cams twisting and snapping.

because i`m running a all steel bottom end, that will easly rev to 10000rpm, we wanted to use some of the most aggressive cam`s out there.so we oppted to use the gti-6 head because the cam carrier`s are alot bigger,therefore resulting in been able to run high rpm and use more aggressive cam`s.

Another reason why we used the gti-6 head ,is because we had both a standard gti-6 head and mi16 head put on a flow bench and the gti-6 head flowed so much better than the mi16 head.this almost result`s in the gti-6 head been as good as a big valve mi16 head.

I will be getting some work done on the head in the near future to release some more power, but unfortunately my project fund`s have ran out at the moment, so i had to use a standard head for now.

Below is the flow chart we got from the two heads.

post-13247-1229463358_thumb.jpg

midnight motorsport
I did originally have a qep big valve head with triple valve seats,which we were going to fit with different cams made by piper.

the only trouble with the mi 16 head is the cam carrier`s are very thin and after you go past 8500rpm you have a chance of the cams twisting and snapping.

because i`m running a all steel bottom end, that will easly rev to 10000rpm, we wanted to use some of the most aggressive cam`s out there.so we oppted to use the gti-6 head because the cam carrier`s are alot bigger,therefore resulting in been able to run high rpm and use more aggressive cam`s.

Another reason why we used the gti-6 head ,is because we had both a standard gti-6 head and mi16 head put on a flow bench and the gti-6 head flowed so much better than the mi16 head.this almost result`s in the gti-6 head been as good as a big valve mi16 head.

I will be getting some work done on the head in the near future to release some more power, but unfortunately my project fund`s have ran out at the moment, so i had to use a standard head for now.

Below is the flow chart we got from the two heads.

hi mark, that is an interesting read, i have wanted to see this project ever since you told me about it, oh' prob about two years ago now!!! it sounded awsome then! but it looks even better than id imagined!!! what an awsome car nice work!!

I can see now, what you meant about changing the engine slightly, and selling those mi16 pistons and liners!

And, i can now thank you for those pistons and liners that i bought from you, lol :-)

small world hey!!

all the best with the finishing off, of this awsome car

regards

jay

Edited by midnight motorsport

markd6303
your car is immense!!!

Thanks for your comments there much appreciated, just wish i had time to finish it so i can get to some track days and shows this summer.

Allthough it is road legal and i`ve driven it once or twice I havent touch it in four months, not good !

M@tt

if you need someone to take it for a regular run out i'll be more than happy to put my name forward :)

markd6303
if you need someone to take it for a regular run out i'll be more than happy to put my name forward B)

that wouldn`t be good, it scares the s*it out of me and i haven`t driven it in anger yet.

Also it`s at my mates garage in york and unfortunatly and i now live in mersyside, so it`s a four hour round trip for me to work on it ,or take it out for a drive.

if i bump into you at a track day in the near future and i haven`t smashed it up ,you can have a scared passenger run out.

markd6303

this is a bit of info of the rear setup i used. the hubs are standard 205 gti 1.9 front item`s, as these will fit the 405 4x4 rear drive shaft`s with out any mod`s. this enabled me to use 2 1/4 tarmac spec bilstein`s on the rear as well as the front, but this meant i had to turret the rear which took a week of measuring to get it perfect.useing these hub`s also allowed me to use 306 gti6 front brake`s on the rear, so along with my wilwood four pots and 310mm front disc`s this means the car nearly shoot`s you through the windscreen on hard braking.the front and rear has all essentric top mounts plus the rear arm`s are rose jointed so i have fully adjustable suspsension.

013.jpg

welshpug

handbrake?

markd6303
handbrake?

at the moment the car only has a hydrolic handbrake, which is lockable

053.jpg

pugit666
that wouldn`t be good, it scares the s*it out of me and i haven`t driven it in anger yet.

Also it`s at my mates garage in york and unfortunatly and i now live in mersyside, so it`s a four hour round trip for me to work on it ,or take it out for a drive.

if i bump into you at a track day in the near future and i haven`t smashed it up ,you can have a scared passenger run out.

I'm in York :lol: i'll take it out for you and tell you how awesome it is haha

a truely awe-inspiring vehicle :)

EdCherry
at the moment the car only has a hydrolic handbrake, which is lockable

053.jpg

I think what he meant is how is it road legal? You have to have a mechnical handbrake to pass an MOT.

markd6303
I think what he meant is how is it road legal? You have to have a mechnical handbrake to pass an MOT.

It did have a mechanical hand brake when it passed the mot , but unfortunatley my idea didn`t last long it broke. So i am in the process of trying to find some rear brake calipers that will fit or near as fit, with some modification`s to the hubs and disc`s i have. Then i can have a seperate mechanical hand brake,therefore making it road legal again.

markd6303
It did have a mechanical hand brake when it passed the mot , but unfortunatley my idea didn`t last long it broke. So i am in the process of trying to find some rear brake calipers that will fit or near as fit, with some modification`s to the hubs and disc`s i have. Then i can have a seperate mechanical hand brake,therefore making it road legal again.

If anybody has any ideas,it would be much appreciated.

tom_m

you could try a pair of citroen bx front calipers, they have the hand brake on the front, so they're big calipers and discs, the only down side is that they'll need rebuilding with different seals to work with dot4

welshpug

possibly some Citroen BX or XM front calipers with new seals fitted (as they usually run LHM) they have a handbrake mechanism on them.

thirdtimelucky

I'm half way through my 4x4 conversion and was looking yesterday at what to do with about the handbrake as I'm also using the front hubs and struts on the rear. the original 205 rear caliper fits the front hubs just need to find a set of non vented disks with the right offset. I have just got a copy of an apec brake catalog with all the disk dimensions, there must be some that will do the job. the other problem might be clearance of the cable passed the hub casting. this set up (if I can get it to work) is going to much lighter than using the front vented disks and calipers. Ill do some homework on this over the next couple of days and keep you posted.

I will see if I can find someone with a Citroen using the front hand brake that I can check dimensions and suitability.

Paul

markd6303
you could try a pair of citroen bx front calipers, they have the hand brake on the front, so they're big calipers and discs, the only down side is that they'll need rebuilding with different seals to work with dot4

I have already thought of the citroen bx front calipers with the hand brake on. I had a talk with neal at des developements about using them on the rear ,but i can`t remember off hand why we descovered that they would not work, thanks anyway!!

platty

Have you tried Compbrake?

They do a Mechanical hand brake caliper called Comp R3.

Comp R3

Comp R2

Edited by platty

cybernck

^ and they give our members a discount :).

welshpug

I'm pretty sure Rally Design do a Caliper like the Comp R2 from Compbrake, it looks very much like a Lucas Golf or 405 rear brake caliper, but in alloy.

edit;

found mechanical caliper similar to the £75 Compbrake R3 but they dont go to as wide a Disc, £55 from RD http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info....roducts_id=8312

bracket for said caliper http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info....roducts_id=8313

wilwood do these 4 pot with a handbrake mech - http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info....oducts_id=11370

platty

Just don't forget to turn the bias valve down, or you'll be swapping ends on a regular basis. :)

MiamiGus

wow, mine is nearly done too, but this is just amazing :)

aCe

I think i just had a little sex wee, thats amazing