• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kachel

How To Adjust Rear Drum Brakes?

kachel

One drumbrake does not brake well, not on handbrake or normal breaking. The wheel can be turned around while breaking. I already bleeded the brakes and fluid came through the nippel. So is there a way to adjust the drum brakes to make it break well again?

welshpug

take the drums off and check the cylinders are not leaking, it should be dry under the dust covers.

slacken the cables off and adjust the shoes up till they just rub on the drum, pump the pedal hard a few times then adjust the handbrake, there shouldn't be much tension in the cables.

kachel

Thanks wp, how do i adjust the shoes and handbrake? The cylinder is dry. I already took the drum off.

Gaz205

Thanks wp, how do i adjust the shoes and handbrake? The cylinder is dry. I already took the drum off.

I am all for learning about how to repair my own car but I would suggest using a manual or take it to someone that can talk you through it or pay and watch it be done. Brakes aren't trial and error, especially when it ain't joust discs and pads.

Wallby

You can adjust the brake shoe by taking 1 of the wheel bolts out, then with a screwdriver, turn the adjuster cog until it just starts to rub when tou turn the wheel.

The adjuster cog is towards the top of the drum, shouldn't be too hard to find.

kachel

Yes, fixed. When i found the adjuster cog it was a simple fix. Thanks all!

kachel

I started doing the other wheel also but there something else occured....

I didn't get the brake power right after turning the adjuster cog, so ik removed the drum brake and pushed the brake, only on one side of the brake cilinder the brakepiston came out fully.

On the other side of the brake cilinder the piston did not come out, so it's stuck. After putting back the piston that came fully out of the cylinder i blocked the working piston to get the pressure on the stucked side of the cylinder but the piston did't came lose.

Any suggestions on how to get the piston lose?

welshpug

pump the pedal harder.

pugdamo

Buy a new wheel cylinder, if it's got a seized piston chances are when you free it off it will start to leak and for the price of a wheel cylinder and piece of mind is not going to leak and ruin your shoes the best bet is to get a new one.

kachel

Thanks for the info!