• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stealth_pug

Help!

stealth_pug

Was driving home from work in coventry this evening in my recently converted engine 205( see signiture). Was taking it nice and easy didnt go above 3000 revs or 50mph when everything started to go wrong!! At first i heard a light ticking noise when i accelerated and started to notice some smoke blowing out the exhaust. I stopped about a mile after this had a quick check everything seemed finee. Car started fine so carried on. Again the ticking noise happened more smoke and a big jumpy then started losing power. Power loss got worse and worse and smoke was also getting more so was just deciding to stop when it died completely. Smoke pouring out the bonnet didnt stop for about 20mins. It was so hot the cam belt cover melted away from the engine. Obviously i have done probably a lot of damage. Just wondering if anybody has any similarsymptons or can shed some light on the situation. Im sorry if its a bit vague but thats pretty much how it went. I did notice the oil level was quite a lot above the maximum mark which iv been told could have caused the problem but i'v been driving it for about 2 weeks now and its been fine so seems wierd its suddenly happened now??

thanks

Edited by stealth_pug

PsychoSimon

sounds to me like you have burst a radiator hose and lost your coolant?

The ticking noise would have been only on acceleration and would be the big ends?

did you check coolant levels?

stealth_pug

Havent yet had to abandon it and it was way to hot to open the filler cap to check so will look in the morning. Ther was no sign of a water leak anywhere tho

thanks

PsychoSimon

with the heat generated it would have almost instantly evaporated any water.

I had this happen to me with my second nova. i had tints so i didnt see any smoke but when the engine finally died (i heard the knocking and decided to just limp it home as it was as good as dead anyway) the smoke emerged and the smell of hot metal as well was horrible.

I hope this isnt the case for you mate as it looks as though youve put a lot of work and money into your car

stealth_pug

yer i suppose it would have done. will have a better look tomorrow because i didnt really look underneath at the hoses or anything. Will be a shame if thats the end because i did put a lot of work in with the engine but i guess it may make way for better things as it will come off the road and i can do something really cool with it. Looks like il be in the dads corsa for a while while i get the mini roadworthy :blush:

thanks for the help mate

bren_1.3

does sound like youve cooked it, check coolant levels as simon says. they have a tendency to blow rad pipes, a friends XS went the same way almost a year ago now.

Sign in to follow this