• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GTI-6Sam

Saxo Vts Engine In A 205?

Veero
there really is very little difference in performance, ask veero :wacko:

Hehe 2 loaded cars side by side with 100 yards between some traffic lights probably not the best testing ground eh Doug.

But I agree I would say there probably isn't a huge difference in performance and if you do install it right personally I see no reason why the Mi16 should be particularly unreliable. After my intial week of changing everything in the engine bay all because ECP sold me the wrong fricking ignition amp and I had connected the ECU temp sender and ICV plugs the wrong way round.

Since then the only problem I have is it sometiems wont start first turn, (corroded solenoid terminal) but it always goes 2nd/3rd try or if overnight always 1st turn.

Other problems are hose related, but these are 14/15 y/o so understandable that they need replacing, and my shonkily bodged exhaust.

Other than that I've had 2000+ miles of trouble free driving pretty much since I fitted it in April. Just wearing out suspension and other bits now ;)

But going back to reliability, get a 15 year old VTS/106 GTi, rip the loom and engine out and use existing coolant pipes and youll get the same problems I'd bet. As for performance 160bhp out the box will out do 140bhp with decat, filter etc.

Saying all that, Im planning on getting a 106 GTi, not solely because it has a TU but mainly because it's a younger car and the mileage Im doing is slowly killing my baby at the moment :D

Veero

d-9
But going back to reliability, get a 15 year old VTS/106 GTi, rip the loom and engine out and use existing coolant pipes and youll get the same problems I'd bet. As for performance 160bhp out the box will out do 140bhp with decat, filter etc.

I dont deny that at all, but the point is theyre mostly 5 years old not 15, so a lot of the issues with the mi16 wouldnt happen, plus they have much smarter engine management so things like dizzy caps arent an issue. Sure 160bhp beats 140bhp on paper, but as we proved theres bugger all in it at the lights, and that was with the 106 full to the roof with jons crap. Thou i guess you did have your bike in the car, effectivly doubling its weight :wacko:

Veero
Thou i guess you did have your bike in the car, effectivly doubling its weight ;)

Haha yeah too right, I put my back out getting it out the car at the other end :wacko:

ashley peddle

everyone knows that 16v is for girls anyway ;):P *ducks*

doug theres only one way to settle this... you and sam NEED to get to pod... and you *need* (;)) to put your name down for track time for trax, castle combe and angylsea :D

d-9

Im not racing sam, I said an "average" mi16, not a "good" one :P Sams is the only standard one ive driven that feels fast!

Ive paid for anglesey already, cant decide about tracks and didnt know the combe list was up yet (kate hasnt started nagging yet) ;)

ashley peddle

ha ha - trax has some spaces left... take a look on fsc - only 7 cars on a certain session so far ;)

d-9

Actually thinking about it, im happy to race sam's car this afternoon ;)

ashley peddle
;) before or after you fix it? :P (il lend him my battery ;) )

jOnO205

iv just bought a 205 xs as i couldnt find a 205 rallye and was thinking about what engine to put in, ideally i want one that just slots right in, no need for welding brackets etc as im not really clued up id like help also :rolleyes:

bren_1.3
iv just bought a 205 xs as i couldnt find a 205 rallye and was thinking about what engine to put in, ideally i want one that just slots right in, no need for welding brackets etc as im not really clued up id like help also

stick with what youve got matey. ill stick some piccies up of my engine build at the moment, but thats for a different thread. if i can figure out how to rezise my pics then ill post them up tonight.

Sandy

The TU 8 valve has huge potential, more than most people realise. the maxi engines were 170-180bhp and i've heard of a 200bhp NA one in France!

bren_1.3

they must be absolute animals though! and highly strung???

Sandy

Possibly, but with mapped ignition and fuelling, highly tuned 8v's aren't the beatss they used to be on carbs and dizzy's. Fuel economy is the biggest victim compared to a 16v. But 8v's always sound better!

d-9

but 16vs are much cheaper than an 8v tuned to the same power and have very similar power delivery.

*sits back and listens to CD player*

Sandy

But ultimately boring and heavy.

d-9

lol i havent found mine to be at all boring, at least not at night. Its a bit dull and flat during the day but thats due to the intake temperatures.

Really dont think the weight difference makes that big a difference, if it bothers you that much, put the battery in the boot B)

Sign in to follow this