• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MartinM

Need New Driveshaft...

MartinM

Bust my LH driveshaft so need a new one - and I'd like a strong one this time!

Are the Peugeot dealer ones any different/better than the GKN ones from GSF, or are there even better ones available elsewhere?

Ta

Martin

MartinM

My options seem to be:

- GKN driveshaft from GSF - £48

- GKN driveshaft from EuroCarParts - £59

- Peugeot recon - £97

- Peugeot OEM spec brand new - £211

- competition spec (via ABMotorsport) - over £1000 (allegedly!)

...all plus the dreaded VAT.

The good chaps at ABM suggest the Peugeot OEM spec brand new.

Any thoughts? Anyone with a Peugeot OEM spec brand new one in a box they don't want?

smckeown

i have used gsf many times and they are fine. plenty of stock hatch cars use gsf ones

Rob_the_Sparky

I think you have already answered your question! Nothing wrong with a GKN driveshaft...

MartinM

I was actually homing in on the Peugeot OEM new spec!

I don't want to fit a £50 shaft and find it breaks halfway throught the next event (it's an Endurance Rally-spec car)

The one that broke was virtually new (<2000 miles I'd guess) and was from Unipart, so I'm assuming that would equate to the £50 quality

I guess the bottom line is does the price point indicate quality (especially strength inside the CV joints) and does £211 really mean 4x 'better'

Rob_the_Sparky

Doubt it, mass production radically reduces prices and a Peugeot name on it increases prices. I think you need some input from fellow motorsport boys. For road use GKN are certainly not a poor quality part but I would not know about motor sport type stresses.

Sorry

Rob

SPGTi

Just fitted 2 GKN shafts to my 1.9 8v road rally 205. They seem decent quality and when I measured everything up they were exactly the same thickness etc as the old oem that came off.

Don't boot it on anywhere near full lock and any decent driveshaft should be OK.

Steve

stu_woac

I'm running gsf ones with no problems but I would check the greese after a few thousand miles as I've heard some are not fill right on the recon

MartinM
Just fitted 2 GKN shafts to my 1.9 8v road rally 205. They seem decent quality and when I measured everything up they were exactly the same thickness etc as the old oem that came off.

Don't boot it on anywhere near full lock and any decent driveshaft should be OK.

Steve

I don't think thickness is the problem (!), but I'm lead to believe that recon ones have less strength inside the CV joints as the've been 'bored out' to take replacement bearings,

Having done many road rallies in 205's (GTi and now this Rallye) it's fair to say that the conditions on the Welsh Endurance last week were far worse (and for a far, far longer time) than I've ever met on a road rally.

I think I'm gonna go with the Peugeot OEM brand new spec. OK the incremental cost is close on £200, but I'm going to regret throwing away an entry fee of £250-£300 on the next event if I fit a cheap one and I break that one as well.

The shaft I broke was a Unipart one (which I equate to GKN/GSF quality) that only did the Revival Rally in 2005 with the previous owner (who DID drive it relatively carefully), one road rally (with me), a few hundred road miles and 40% of the Welsh Endurance last week - probably less than 1200 miles in total :)

Edited by MartinM

Sign in to follow this