• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Phil205

Clutch Judder And Flywheel

Phil205

I had my clutch replaced recently.

The old clutch had no judder but was getting difficult to change gear. One day the clutch pedal was depressed and wouldn't come out again - hence a new clutch was fitted.

The new clutch is juddery, particularly when starting in first gear.

The garage are willing to change the clutch, but have suggested the flywheel may be causing the problem and suggested a new (not secondhand) flywheel is fitted at the same times as the clutch is changed.

My understanding is that a new flywheel would cost a few hundred pounds, so I am a little hesitant to splash the cash - as there didn't seem to be a problem with judder with the old clutch.

Any thoughts ?

(And where could I source a new flywheel, if needed ?)

welshpug

were the clutch fork bushes and cable replaced at the same time?

no need for a new flywheel, get yours refaced.

Phil205

were the clutch fork bushes and cable replaced at the same time?

no need for a new flywheel, get yours refaced.

Thankyou welshpug,

The clutch cable (to the foot pedal) was replaced.

I don't know about clutch fork bushes. I will ask. Is it normal practice to change them ?

Anthony

I don't know about clutch fork bushes. I will ask. Is it normal practice to change them ?

It's not something that a garage would probably do by default, but it's good practice to replace them when you've got the gearbox off to do the clutch as they do wear.

They're cheap too, from memory about £4 for the pair. Just be sure to get the correct ones to match your clutch fork, as there's yellow (early) and white (late) types with different offsets.

(this is for BE3 gearboxes btw - BE1's use a different setup and issues are typically down to the quadrant pivot seizing up / bending or the wrong length pin)

Phil205

It's not something that a garage would probably do by default, but it's good practice to replace them when you've got the gearbox off to do the clutch as they do wear.

They're cheap too, from memory about £4 for the pair. Just be sure to get the correct ones to match your clutch fork, as there's yellow (early) and white (late) types with different offsets.

(this is for BE3 gearboxes btw - BE1's use a different setup and issues are typically down to the quadrant pivot seizing up / bending or the wrong length pin)

Thanks Anthony,

Do you know where I could source them from ? I will order a pair.

welshpug

just noticed your signature mentions a 1988 car ?

if that is correct and it is original then it'll have a BE1 gearbox with a different clutch release mechanism, there are two plastic top hat bushes that are about 50 pence each, also check that the 3mm thick washer is present underneath the quadrant arm, without this present the bolt binds up and clamps the quadrant against the casing.

39927d1361095828-be1-gearbox-do-i-have-p

welshpug

19122009934.jpg

Phil205

19122009934.jpg

Thanks welshpug,

Can you see 19122009934.jpg ?

It doesn't display for me ?

welshpug

annoyingly its an image from photobucket, when you google image search it does find the cached images!