• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shine

[project] Upgrade On Shiny's 205 Gti

shine

Hello

Just got a cool pic from last race, in good quality, from a motorsport photograf today.

shiny_rudsk_01.jpg

No news about the car by the moment, only working a lot to earn money to buy more parts.

Espen

johnrobertgordon

Its a 205 Jim, but not as we know it!

richystran

Its a credit to you! Never in my life have i see a 205 thats looks as good as this!

Was wondering what rims they are and also did you manage to get some more of those bumpers made as i would love one too?

Richy

shine

Wheels are PTS Speedline SL434, 6,75x15

I'll try to make some copies of front spoiler this winter.

smckeown

yeah always makes my day seeing this car. I am surprised thoigh that it handles well being so low. What's it like around low speed corners after high speed straights ? I'd expect weight weight distribution to be a problem.

johnrobertgordon

It don't matter how low the car is so long as there is still enough travel left in the dampers/springs. And since Espens car has had lots of suspension mods like a lowered beam (lowered as in the beam mounting not ride height) it still has plenty of travel.

Edited by johnrobertgordon

shine

The car works very good, I think, but as always things could be even better if more time was spend during testing different settings AND if the driver was willing to drive closer to limits.

After highspeed strights to low speed corner (from alomst full on 4.th down to 2.nd, 90 deg corner for ex) the car is very stable. Sharp turn in, but with good balance if braking to late. I think the work with rear end has positive effects to this.

Hope to get the extra rear arb (self made from some old gpA engeneering drawings) mounted during winter, I think it would give even sharper steering in/mid sorner on warm days with good grip.

Espen

smckeown
It don't matter how low the car is so long as there is still enough travel left in the dampers/springs.

Wishbone angle on FWD has a major effect on rear to front weight distribution; which in theiry has a major influence of suspension geometry in loaded up conditions.

The car works very good, I think, but as always things could be even better if more time was spend during testing different settings AND if the driver was willing to drive closer to limits.

After highspeed strights to low speed corner (from alomst full on 4.th down to 2.nd, 90 deg corner for ex) the car is very stable. Sharp turn in, but with good balance if braking to late. I think the work with rear end has positive effects to this.

I'm surprised, but glad to hear it :P

johnrobertgordon
Wishbone angle on FWD has a major effect on rear to front weight distribution; which in theiry has a major influence of suspension geometry in loaded up conditions.

Sometimes too much knowlage is a bad thing.

Rob Thomson

Suspension geometry has no effect on weight distribution.

Surely the issue with excessive lowering and wishbone angle is that if the wishbone is already past horizontal roll makes the wheel tuck in, which creates positive camber just when you need it least. The standard set-up provides some extra negative camber as the car rolls.

Edited by Rob Thomson

taylorspug

The only way the wishbones are going to have an effect on weight distribution is if you physically change where they are mounted on the car and bring the wheel forward or back, changing the wheelbase.

The wishbone angle should be horizontal during cornering, so as to provide the most negative camber, as Rob has already mentioned. This is why alot of 205s (mine included if im honest!) are lowered far too much, with the wishbone horizontal or over centre, even when the car is in a static state. :P

shine

As most parts in life, things have more than one side.

I am sure if serious racing, with lot of honour and time spendt, catching every 1/10 or 1/100 of a second, my car would mybe had a different setup, and a different quality of parts involved. Also my driving ambisions must be much more willing to take chanses in heavy traffic.

As You all know this is a complete homebuild/constructioned project. Motivations was to have a reliable car with lot of feedback, and capable to make decent laptimes on trackdays and in a road legal racing serie.

I've tried different camber settings, raise/lower front and back, different toe angels at front, damper settings, and tyre pressure. As it was on last race, pic posted yesterday, things seem to work well, and I also sorted out 0.5 sec on the track compared to earlier times.

There were in same race simlar cars ( 205 MI16, Golf 1 16v, M3) with more power and more ambisious drivers, but they were 0,5 to 1 second behind.

I am not saying my setup is perfect, I know it's not, but in fact it works both on track and for some road use, at my level.

Espen

pug_ham
There were in same race simlar cars ( 205 MI16, Golf 1 16v, M3) with more power and more ambisious drivers, but they were 0,5 to 1 second behind.

I am not saying my setup is perfect, I know it's not, but in fact it works both on track and for some road use, at my level.

I think this is a factor some people seem to miss when tuning their cars, if you are happy & getting repetative faster lap times than a car which really ought to match or beat you in most circumstances then you should be extremely happy with the results you have from what you have spent.

I know I am, I never intended building my car to be the quickest on track but I'm having masses of fun keeping up with cars that have close to double the power / torque of my car & should leave me for dead.

I have further plans for my car but never to such an extent where I've spent thousands of £'s just for the next 0.5 seconds over a similarly specced car. With time I should get the same or better lap times with enough practice & more tuition.

Graham.

shine

Hello.

Long time with spending most of time at my regular work, so only small things happened to my car last months. I've welding new oil breather thank + oil filler at the moment, in alu, with AN fittings + getting the enginebay more tidy.

There have been a contest in PGT -French Cars, where readers could vote for Car of the Year 2006. My 205 was one of 20 finalists. The result should be anounced in the March issue og the mag. Got my subscriber copy in my box today, and get really surprised. :lol:

Reading the results was very happy reading for me. On first place, white 205 GTI from Norway.....

Scan from mag;

pgti-result-liten.jpg

This is mybe payback for all hours in the garage, and motivation to spend more time on details in the future.

Espen

taylorspug

Very well done, thoroughly deserved! :lol:

Gentrix
Very well done, thoroughly deserved! ;)

Yes, absolutly. Just wonder, how you could possibly tidy your Enginebay further up :lol:

shine

Time will show :lol: Re arange some hoses and make some new polished alu things, together with a lot of time in the garage mybe help.

Espen

tom_m

well deserved Espen, congrats man :lol:

cybernck

that's superb - congratulations! :D

are you able/allowed to scan in and post the article too now?

thanks.

pug_ham

Fantastic & most certainly well deserved.

Congratulations. :D

Graham.

de Noir

Cheers Espen, how does it feel to be on the top!? :D:rolleyes::wacko:

huckleberry

Congrats! It just looks stunning.

Does someone have the scans of the previous article about this car? I believe it had a big article in a magazine in november 2006?

shine
Cheers Espen, how does it feel to be on the top!? :D:D:D

Thanks everybody!

It does not affect me in a bad way. My Pug is my freezone from a really stressfull life, and I'm always looking for further details to look better and enjoying every minute in the garage or on a track.

regarding to the scan, everything is cleared now, but my scanner is not good enough(not possible to read the text even on best resoultion) , so I have to get a company to do a scan.

Espen :)

Alastairh

Congrats!

smckeown
regarding to the scan, everything is cleared now, but my scanner is not good enough(not possible to read the text even on best resoultion) , so I have to get a company to do a scan.

Espen :)

I have a half decent scanner at home, send it over and i'll scan it and send it back