• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
oilman

Modding Your Car? Oil Advice!

lukesaddy

Hi, i need some oil advice for my 2 cars please, money is no object i want the best possible protection.

1 - 2001 306 HDi (2.0 8v turbo diesel) its got 185,000 miles on the clock, which oil should i be using in this for normal day to day driving.

2- 1988 205 1.9 GTi, 85,000 miles on the clock. It isnt getting used yet but will be subject to some spirited driving down the back roads when its restored.

I want a good midrange make for the diesel and a top class one for the 205, both will be getting serviced every 5/6000 miles and the Gti will be getting a 200 mile run through with cheapo oil first as its been sat for about 10 years.

thanks,

Luke.

bazil_205gti

Hi

have got a low compression s16 engine s/c the cams arent new but the rest of it is, just after a lil advice on type of oil to run it in with, would a cheap mineral halfords 15/40 be alright? also reading this was thinking of going for a good quallity 5/50 for when its all run in? as its s/c and will be running about 300bhp

matt

ftoomsh

Castrol Edge everytime it has FST (fluid strength technology) it is 40% stronger than other oils. In an independant test 2 identical engines were bench run. 1 had edge the other a well known msport brand. Each engine ran at full rpm til destruction. The 'other oil' engine ran for a very impressive 93 hrs non stop max rpm. However Castrol Edge engine ran for 143 hrs Ooooooosh!!!

petert

You can't conclude from that test that oil was the cause of failure if no other analysis of components is provided. Especially when you don't name the other oil. Hardly what you'd call independent lab testing.

welshpug

Can't have been a Duratec, they would have dropped a valve well before then :lol:

Daniel306

Is Titan pro Race 5 a good choice for a forged 406 Sri engine running +350 hp?

Sign in to follow this