• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo

Toe Settings Help For Front Wheels

Ricardo

I've just fit new track rod ends to both sides. I've averaged the lengths out as the steering wheel has never been straight since getting the car. (one track rod length was 74.4mm the other 69.2mm)

So....Where do I take the 1mm +/- 1mm Toe measurements from? Are these from the front inner wheel rim (furthest point forward)and back inner wheel rim (furthest point to rear)? (front distance being 1mm less than the rear of the rim?)

The wheels are newly refurbed and not sure if getting the tracking done would mark the rims!

Any advice much appreciated.

Richard

jplautomotive

yes , autodata say 2mm +- 1 mm toe in

but to try and measure that would be hard , just get tyre place to do it and put some masking tape

on the rim where the heads will touch

jon

Ricardo
yes , autodata say 2mm +- 1 mm toe in

but to try and measure that would be hard , just get tyre place to do it and put some masking tape

on the rim where the heads will touch

jon

Nice one Jon......Good thinking.

Ta

Rom

A decent garage with good equipment wont mark your wheels.

They normally have plastic feet that grip the wheel. So no metal to scratch it, and they often grip the outside of the rim, between the tyre.

Ive tracked cars diy as a make shift. Never bothered measuring though, just drive, adjust, drive adjust until it drives straight. Then get tracking done when i can.

Cameron

Use string. Its cheap, easy and far more accurate when done right.

Ricardo
Use string. Its cheap, easy and far more accurate when done right.

String is a very important thing!...Rope is thicker, but string is quicker (Spike Milligan) :wacko:

Thanks guys I'll get my mate to check my attempts properly on his lazer setup.

Ricardo

What is the correct Toe measurement? 1.9GTi wheels (185/55 15) on 1992 1.6GTi

205GTIDrivers .com states 1988-> 1.0mm +/- 1.0mm

Paynes manual states 1988 -> 1.0mm +/- 0.5mm

Advised 2.0mm +/- 1.0mm

Suppose if I can set/measure to 1mm +0.5mm -0.0mm Toe in I'll cover all the above :lol:

Cheers

Cameron

I'd say 2mm toe-in for a road car and 1-2mm toe-out for a track car.

cybernck

i tend to prefer to have it dead-centered.

Cameron

Well, whatever works best for you to be honest! Toe settings aren't set in stone like Kwik-fit will have you believe, they almost had a heart attack when I told them I run toe-out! :lol:

Ricardo

Cameron, Just read your other thread on tracking. Using axle stands and string...very good,

I set mine by marking the tyre with a paint spot, measuring across the front most position then rolling on half a wheel rev and measuring across the rear most position. Unfortunately a tape rule wouldn't go across under the car at hub height so the spots were roughly 20 past and 20 to! Set the steering wheel central also ish..Not very accurate really but a start prior to laser setup.

When I got it laser checked it took them 5 mins to get the brackets hanging off all 4 wheels then 5 mins to re set to 1mm toe in as I requested. The laser lines were excellent to see when adjusting. They said it is very easy to use once you get your head round the back to front measuring/adjustments. Glad I was there cos if the brackets were not hung correctly the scales would be thrown out and settings useless! My method was proven to be inaccurate :rolleyes: Car now drives straight and doesn't over steer and stable.