• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Steering Off

chocolate_o_brian

I'll try explain this best I can. The steering wheel has seemed slightly off centre recently (to the left), so I got my Haynes book out and did some fiddling. Before anyone asks, the tyres are all the same pressure (29psi allround) and have even wear on the front especially.

Now the weird thing is if I take the wheel off and adjust one spline to the right, the wheel sits off centre (to the right when driving). Do the same but to the left, and it drives as it is now. It's almost as if I need 1/2 a spline move to the right and not a full one. I cannot get it dead centre. The tracking seems ok and the car doesn't pull to either side, even when breaking.

It's more of an annoyance more than anything else. Anyone any suggestions, I've been faffing for an hour now :huh:

welshpug

you'll probably find that the steering rack isn't quite centred (i.e odd length track rods) setting them to identical measurements would be a start, higher chance of getting the wheel centred.

chocolate_o_brian
you'll probably find that the steering rack isn't quite centred (i.e odd length track rods) setting them to identical measurements would be a start, higher chance of getting the wheel centred.

Hmm, probably take it to get the tracking sorted then. A company local to me has a brand new £20k lazer jobby, and useful staff!! I'll see if it annoys me anymore :rolleyes: