• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

Jacking The Car Up Using The Bottom Shocker Mount?

yorkshirekowboy

was just wondering if you can use the base of the shock on my beam to jack the rear of the car up and down. the reason i ask is that my car has been on axles stands now for a week as ive been putting my beam on, so to lower i was going to use my trolley jack on both sides using the bottom of the shock on beam to do this.

will it damage the bearings in the beam as putting it putting weight on the shafts, there for weight on the bearings.

can believe how solid the sills are where you jack the car up. the axles stands dont seem to be bending the jack bit on the sills, can damage be done by leaving the car on axles stands for ages?

sorry if a silly question, as the jack you get with the 205 as standard is cr**ey.

thanks

danny

pug_ham

I've jacked each side of the back of my car this way but for removing the car from axle stands I rest the jack in the middle of the beam & jack it up.

Using the jacking points for axle stands long term shoudn't make any difference.

Graham.

Anthony

If you jack off the bottom shock mount, then do so on the arm itself rather than the base od the shock - the shock bolts can bend, and they're then a PITA to remove.

As for the sills, in my opinion they're not that strong at all - certainly I really don't like jacking 205's on the sill as they can and have bent and deformed on me before now, and I've seen alot of 205's with damage and subseqent rot from jacking. Leaving the car resting on axle stands on the sill doesn't seem to cause problems though, rather just the initial jacking up.

Rom

As Graham said, use the beam. Ive lifted numerous cars on beams with no issues.

And as for sills....i dont jack my car up on them, there not very strong, and jacking crates a pressure point for it to buckle. They wont cave in, but you can quite easily bend the lip , or cut into it with the jack top.

yorkshirekowboy
As Graham said, use the beam. Ive lifted numerous cars on beams with no issues.

And as for sills....i dont jack my car up on them, there not very strong, and jacking crates a pressure point for it to buckle. They wont cave in, but you can quite easily bend the lip , or cut into it with the jack top.

cheers guys, what about keeping the back end up on the axle stands?

shalmaneser

When I was doing a rear beam on my 306 I jacked it up on the beam tube then put the stands on the sills (at the 'proper' jacking points).

To be honest, the back end weighs so little by the time you remove the rear beam that the normally sensitive sills are absolutely fine - as said, just don't jack the car up on them, just use them for the axle stands.

you could also shim the stands with some rubber - car tyre works well - if you were that bothered.

pug_ham

As above, for jacking I always try not to use the sills because I have also seen them bend when jacking but for standing the shell on long term, the proper jacking points are fine imo.

When I've jacked a car @ the lower shock mounting bolt I don't actually jack on the shock but on the trailing arm where the bolt goes through.

Graham.

Rob Thomson

Where are the rear jacking points? Do you mean the seams on the underside of the sill?

I put axle stands under the chassis rails at the front, and have made some blocks of wood that fit the gaps between the sill and the tank at the back that I use for stands at the rear. I always try to jack it using the subframe or the beam, though.

pug_ham
Where are the rear jacking points? Do you mean the seams on the underside of the sill?

Yes, these are the jacking points when using the standard equipment jack.

Like you though, I don't use them much if at all.

Graham.

AdamP

I always jack on the centre of the beam. Lift both sides at the same time, no risk of it falling off one axle stand while jacking the other side.

Ricardo

I put axle stands under the chassis rails at the front, and have made some blocks of wood that fit the gaps between the sill and the tank at the back that I use for stands at the rear. I always try to jack it using the subframe or the beam, though.

I place my jack under the two seams just behind where they come together with wood on the jack cup.

Then the axle stand just sits between the seams further aft.

post-11787-1231349390_thumb.jpg