• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

B1ack_Mi16

New Front And Rear Shocks, Genuine Or Bilstein ?

B1ack_Mi16

As said, found the shocks on my 205 project was leaking oil when I managed to dig them out from the pile of parts.

What's the best bet for a more or less standard setup, maybe just slight lowering up front.

Orginal shocks all around, or some Bilstein variant?

Tom Fenton

I like the Bilstein B4 front dampers. Well priced and as far as I can make out a good comparison to how good condition standard Peugeot dampers would be.

B1ack_Mi16

Yes, seem to be hard to obtain the OE ones, NFP according to Norwegian dealer at least.

Rear shocks, can 306 GTi items be utilized or are they too long?

Anthony

306 GTi-6 rear shocks fit 205/309's fine, and indeed, from memory the part number for 205 1.9 GTi rear shocks was superseeded by the GTi-6 ones.

Given a free choice with no other considerations I would prefer to have genuine OE dampers, but given the availability considerations and difference in cost, the Bilstein B4's are an excellent alternative and work very well on a road going 205 - on the proviso that you have the updated rear dampers (which they should all be now) and not the rubbish that Bilstein supplied a few years ago that were hopelessly under-damped.

welshpug

I think with current availability I'd use challenge rear dampers with B4 fronts.

B1ack_Mi16

Ok. I guess challenge ones might be a bit stiff? I think that's what I have on the orange 205..

But anywat B4 fronts definately then, and maybe 306 gti rears.

welshpug

as Anthony said, 205 and 306 rears are the same, challenge dampers aren't "stiff"

Anthony

as Anthony said, 205 and 306 rears are the same, challenge dampers aren't "stiff"

They're not stiff as such, but they are unquestionably firmer than standard or B4's and some might find them a little much on an otherwise standard road car.

A reasonable halfway house if you want a little more damping might be using Xsara rear B4's as KamRacing supply for 205's as their budget "Fast Road" offering.

B1ack_Mi16

Ok, good idea, not bad price from KamRacing.

It states 306 GTi rear bilsteins there, but they might be the same as the Xsaras anyway.

welshpug

bne 1931 is 205/306, off the top of my head you want bne 1932.

Edited by welshpug

Batfink

I added the Citreon Xsara rear dampers to that kit as Bilstein use the same rear dampers for both the 306 and 205 and I know the Xsara was a better damper before they had to remake the 205/306 one to the spec it is now. We've plenty of happy customers with this setup so its well tried and tested. Its firmer but it allows the car suspension to do what it needs to on the bumpier stuff, keeping the wheels on the ground with good traction. I'd recommend not dropping the rear of the car too much so the suspension has a chance to move.

I'd be tempted to fit a stiffer arb to go with it but its not essential.

Peugeot 205 fast road setup

Kev

Capa

I don't think I've ever seen genuine 205 dampers for sale; led to believe that they stopped making them a while back. I have some black billies kicking around that I keep meaning to fit to mine.

kingboyk

Apologies for the slight necro bump, but the parts and issues are still current...

I've owned my 205 since 2002 and I have the feeling that its not handling like it used to. No doubt a lot of that is down to the rear beam - I get a harsh knocking sound when I reverse out of the drive over a bump. The ageing driver probably doesn't help!

Needless to say I'm looking into the rear beam, but I'm wondering if I should change dampers and possibly springs at the same time. My goal would be to have the car handle the way Peugeot intended. I prefer a standard setup as much as possible although as its not a show car I'm open to modification if it would improve the handling. I'm all about country lanes and bumpy B roads and I don't mind a hard ride up to a point.

I have no record of the rear dampers ever having been changed so I assume they're original. The front dampers were replaced less than 5000 miles ago with Bilstein B4s from Demon Tweeks because one of the originals had failed - part numbers BLS22-041043 and BLS22-041050. I still have one of the boxes and it says vne-4104, so it would appear that I have the front dampers which Kam Racing sell in their OE kit as opposed to the Fast Road kit...

When these new dampers first went in the handling felt awful - too soft. They seem to have bedded in (or I've learnt to drive round it) so now I'm wondering if having them matched with old OEM dampers is a bad idea.

What would you guys do? Options seem to be:

- Get the rear beam done but leave the rest alone

- Fit a pair of BNE-1931 to the rear

- Fit a pair of the harder BNE-6814 to the rear

- Something else :)

Also, what about springs? Should they still be good or is it wise to replace them, and what with?

dcc

As standard these cars handle like crap really. A better set of dampers makes a world if difference, but like you say the rear axle needs addressing too.

I'd be going for challenge spec bilsteins or gaz golds, the b4/b6 stuff has its place, personally its not a fast road/b road damper.

I went from 21 or 23mm rear torsion bars and 28mm arb to standard rear beam set up. It was so much more fun to drive fast on track.

Im going for grp a front coilovers and rear dampers next. Id suggest getting decent tyres too, but get beam done first

kingboyk

decent tyres

Ah, decent tyres, there's a whole other can of worms... It used to be easy - Michelin Pilot Exalto 2s all round and job done. I've got Dunlops on at the moment and don't rate them much to be honest.

donpipo

Rear dampers have always been a dilemma.

From what I've read since 2007, the original Peugeot oil dampers have been highly praised, as well as those that superseded the former. And often recommended over OE spec replacements, i.e. Bilstein B4 BNE-1931 (that I have and want to replace).

Now that nothing suitable is available from Peugeot and since they've stopped manufacturing their own shocks, we are getting stuck with aftermarket.

I have the opportunity to buy old stock genuine pair of 5206.L5 Peugeot 309 GTI16 dampers at a good price.

Has someone any experience with them on the 205? They'll fit but will they do the job as a proper replacement for the K6?

Thanks for any informed opinion on this!

welshpug

if they are a genuine part for the gti16 go for it, iirc the k6 part number superseded most things then more recently the TE number.

donpipo

According to Service Box, 5206.L5 (nor 5206.L2) have had no substitute since they are NFP :(

Can't find any information about those, hence my inquiry.