• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Vili

Subframe Modification

Vili

I was just wondering if anyone has tried or made research on moving front subframe suspension arm pickup points? If originals where cut out and new ones made say 3 cm higher you could get car lower while still maintain below parallel control arm position.

Of course steeringrack would need to moved as well to keep bumbsteer at minimum.

This thought came to my mind when I was changing tyres on my bmw.

petert

Or just raise the rack.

xy8

There are some clearance issues if I remember correctly. I did modify base model subframe couple of years ago.

Plan was to gain caster , reduce anti dive and bumpsteer , but after couple of days of measuring and thinking I gave up and just welded in rear pickup points further out compared to gti subframe and got about 4 degrees of caster .

Edited by xy8

petert

If you weld new rear mounts in at an angle, you can fit adjustable arms and dial in as much caster as you want.

xy8

Yes , you are right ,but in our country if I want to keep it road legal , it at least has to look like oem . This mod didn't cost me anything and it was big improvement ,caster was under 2 degrees on right side and about 2 degrees left side .