• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mgibo69

205 Gti Torsion Bars

Guest mgibo69

hello,

i want to get some 205 torsion bars that are 21 or 23mm thick but dont want to pay peugeot sport prices. can you suggest a good peugeot breaker (with a van), race or rally shop that may have second hand ones.

SimonJ

There is an ad in Motorsport News this week from a firm in Crewe that has a pair of 21mm ones. Don't ask me the details as I've already thrown my copy out.

C_W

Late model (J-plate onwards) may have the thicker torsion bars but I not personally seen them.

DrSeuss

peugeot sport do them for 250 quid. In a variety of sizes.

Guest rene

an 309 gti 8v has a 21 mm torsion bar on the front as a 205 has 17 mm and it wil fit perfectly , have don it myself . :D

Guest rene

or do you mean the torsion bars at the back and am i talking about a stabilizer bar ? should read better before i replie :D

red
an 309 gti 8v has a 21 mm torsion bar on the front as a 205 has 17 mm and it wil fit perfectly , have don it myself . :blink:

I think he knows what you mean in respect of the front ARB anti-roll bar :D , I didn't realise the 309 GTi was that big in comparison to the 205 :D

Regards Russ..

Guest rene

thanks russ :blink: , about the dimensions , it has been two years ago when i changed it cause my collegue crashed his 309 gti ( thanks ) , maybe a 205 was 18 and the 309 21 but there was a difference of about 3- 4 mm , enough to want to change it anyway :D some one else on this forum can give you a more exact answer ?

Wurzel

Well the axle I'm refurbing at the moment is from a 309 GTi and has 20mm torsion bars and a 20mm rear anti roll bar.

The front ARB I have in the garage, I think, is 21mm. It may very well be 20mm though, the same as the rear.

My current torsion bars and anti roll bar on a 205 GTi 1.9 phase 2 is 17mm. Quite a difference.

Only problem with 309 bars compared to 205's is the length. 309's are longer and therefore need the rear crosstube to go with them.

Front ARB will cross fit but the 309 thicker item will need the correct mounting bushes and maybe the larger metal brackets but the latter will need confirming.

WWW.Pugspares.co.uk also sell the thicker bars (I have emailed them and they say that they still stock them).

red

In respect to the front ARB probably ADI will be able to give the reason with respect to the differences? but I'm staying with the 17mm standard unit as again I could be wrong but you need the rear roll stiffer than the front on the 205, I've looked at stills of my car at certain venues on the corners and you can see how the rear roll does affect the front in respect to the inside wheel on the turn in, it's starting to lift and loose traction which we all know about :D looking at the picture it seems if you could jack the car or lift the back corner on the still this would bring the front wheel back down towards the floor, this would be on the same side as the roll at the rear, or I could be talking bull :blink: or would stiffer front springs be the answer? there always seems to be a neg for every plus :D

Regards Russ.....

Guest rene

just been reading adi's story and it seems that ive been thinking a bit to easy about the rear suspention of my car , as i was first focussing on the front end wich is ok now and thought that the rear wasn't that important .

now it seems that i have some more things to do :D

that isn't a bad thing as it means that it can be a lot better :blink:

about making the rear stiffer , can you put extra springs at the rear ,don't now the english word for it , wil this help for a road car and with it increase damping , or is this a really stupid thing to do and make it worse ?

as thicker torsion bars are pretty expensive :D

red

Rene,

This was somthing I was thinking of asking, if the rear shock position could cotain the AVO type shocks that have spring pans fitted would this be an effective way of giving you adjustable suspension at the rear and maitaining the stock Torsion bars,

I'll go and ask on the pinned thread.

Regards Russ....

Guest rene

thanks russ , but you give me a bit to much credit im afraid , i was talking about the extra springs that we mount for customers sometimes when the rear suspension is to soft for there caravan or lots of luggage , they are put between the rear beem and bump stop , as it seems you are racing your 205 this wil not be an option for you , but as a road car , can this work as a cheap upgrade ?

these AVO schocks sound interesting thou , have any pics ?

red

I'm afraid I don't have pictures but they are in the Demon Tweeks catalogue on page 274, don't put yourself down mate the idea you have may be a better one maybe it's worth a try! they do a few types and the prices vary from £150-00 down to £88-00 and there's 2 sizes 2"inch -50mm or 1.69"inch-40mm but the main thing is they have a large selection of differing lengths and adjustable types.

Rene

In respect of your idea I suppose you could fit the spring over the bump stop and fit a spring pan on the other side to locate it on the chassis, I use the car for sprinting/hill climbing but it's a rd going car taxed and tested etc witha few track days thrown in :D

Regards Russ.....

Guest rene

yes , what you discribe is how it works , it's just a kit you can buy or order in any autopart shop and is about 80 euro's i think , there for you get the springs and a spring pan you mount to the rear beam .

you can even get two types , normal and heavy duty wich wil include stronger springs , only fitting it wil raise the rear of the car usualy by 3 or 4 cm , wich im sure not every one wil like . :D

want to try it myself but first i have to replace the shocks because they are pretty weak after only 267000 km B)

smckeown

I currently have 21mm Torsion bars in my 205 that have probably done 500 miles. I have a set of 23mm ones still in their wrapping in my garage., I plan to fit the 23mm sometime when i put on coilovers.

I could get them swapped over and sell the 21mm ones to anyone desperate

Sean

Sam

How much are yu looking for?

Guest mgibo69

Cheers for reply guys, got more information than i expected.

If u do sell your torsion bars sean i would be intrested!

Just another question, when you replace the standard torsion bars for eg.23mm ones, will the ride height increase due to the lack of tension/sag of the thinner torsion bar, i that make sense? I imagine i may have to lower it a bit more to compensate for this.

cheers mart

cybernck
My current torsion bars and anti roll bar on a 205 GTi 1.9 phase 2 is 17mm. Quite a difference.

at very last!

i've always been saying that some gti's (all of my old 1.6's) came with 17 mm torsion bars

but the reply has always been that no gti had less than 19 mm ones (18.7-18.9 actually).

:)

sorrentoaddict

I would just say that the usual rule is: the stiffer the ARB on one end, the better the grip on the opposite end will be.

If your primary concern is making the car more direct to steer, and better turn-in and overall steering response, then thicker ARB up front would help a lot - but at the expense of some high-speed understeer and very probably worse traction.

If done in conjunction with better shocks, preferably an LSD and a stiffer chassis, then OK, but only fitting a thicker ARB on an otherwise STD car could only ruin the nice handling of the 205. Depends what you use the jewel for.

Sign in to follow this