• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

changingman

Wish Me Luck.......

changingman

Well this is a first for me , I usually drive and someone else fixes,but as I'm keeping this 205 I have decided I better start learning.

I wasn't aware that alloy sumps shouldn't have gaskets until I received some good advice from people on here.

So here goes , it might be a simple job to some, but it's massive to me , I can see inside my engine for gods sake!!

post-9565-0-34347900-1497979573_thumb.png

post-9565-0-81330900-1497979611_thumb.png

post-9565-0-30998800-1497979640_thumb.png

post-9565-0-51711300-1497979688_thumb.png

Anthony

Be sure to thoroughly degrease everything and let the sealant set before filling with oil, as if the sealant gets contaminated it will likely leak.

• Like 1

changingman

Be sure to thoroughly degrease everything and let the sealant set before filling with oil, as if the sealant gets contaminated it will likely leak.

Yep cheers, I'll give it a thorough cleaning and let it dry over night before I whack the sealant on , which I haven't bought yet anyway.

I'll leave it for a day or two once I've out the sump back on before I out the oil in.

I want it running the weekend after next! !!

Thanks.

pugdamo

If you look where the hockey stick seals go they look white, like it's been filled with silicone sealant, may be leaking from here which was confused with the crankshaft oil seal? Iv never seen any white hockey stick seals before but others may have done. Worth a mention that's all.

• Like 1

changingman

If you look where the hockey stick seals go they look white, like it's been filled with silicone sealant, may be leaking from here which was confused with the crankshaft oil seal? Iv never seen any white hockey stick seals before but others may have done. Worth a mention that's all.

There was loads of white silicon in there , well remnants of it.

What's the hockey stick ??

Miles

Was going to say the same, always black and I've done a few :blink: , another part I leave for 24 hours as they do shrink back down, It is just a seal which looks like a 'L'

• Like 1

changingman

Ok thanks gents, I'll have a read of all of this later today, I haven't managed to track down any decent sealer yet anyway.

I need to make sure I get it right first time.

SweetBadger

Hard to tell from that photo but i'd be surprised if the seals are white.

I reckon the white colour is just left over sealant that has gone into the gap where the hockey stick seal is sitting too low - looks like the seals were cut too short as they should be a couple of mm proud of the surface. Not sure whether this would cause a leak though as the sealant in the gap should stop oil getting through.

Edited by SweetBadger
  • Like 1

changingman

Are these hockey stick things some sort of locating pins as I was wondering if it should have had any when I took it off!!

If the answer to that is in the link a few replies up then I haven't had chance to read it yet! !!!!

changingman

Righto I understand what they are now , I've read both those threads.

I'll get back under it tonight and have a look.

Thanks for the replies, I'd be pretty clueless otherwise! !!

Bakes100

Also check there is no old sealant stuck down (up) the sump bolt holes in the block.

• Like 1

changingman

I reckon the white colour is just left over sealant that has gone into the gap where the hockey stick seal is sitting too low - looks like the seals were cut too short as they should be a couple of mm proud of the surface. Not sure whether this would cause a leak though as the sealant in the gap should stop oil getting through.

I hope the sealant does if they are a wee bit short! Edited by changingman

changingman

Also check there is no old sealant stuck down (up) the sump bolt holes in the block.

Good call , I'll scrap then out with a skinny Allen key!!

Edited by changingman

Mikey S

To refer to your other thread, you haven't got a sump spacer. You can just grab a sump gasket from a local factors and use that. i just smear a little gasket sealant over either side of the gasket before i fit it.

Use Elring Dirko sealant, its specifically for sumps, available from Eurocarparts.

Mike

Edited by Mikey S

pugdamo

I may be wrong but I didn't think you had a gasket at all on alloy sumps? Just a thin smear of sump sealer.

welshpug

yep no gasket on the alloy sumps, just sealant, later tu tin sumps are sealed with sealant too.

• Like 1

Mikey S

I may be wrong but I didn't think you had a gasket at all on alloy sumps? Just a thin smear of sump sealer.

Your quite right you dont, it certainly wont hurt it by fitting one. I've one on my gti6 sumped alloy block Mi16 with a sump spacer and that doesn't leak.

changingman

Well it leaked out of nearly every bolt hole so I won't be using a gasket, I've ordered some sealant anyhow.

I don't think it's anything more than the gasket because of where it was leaking was all over the place and not concentrated in one specific space.

Miles

The rule (XU engine) is Alloy to Alloy no Gasket, Tin to Alloy is a Gasket and never use sealant on them as it defeats the object of a gasket which seals into the metal, so say a 1.9 has sealant, Sump Plate, Gasket and Sump unless a A/C model.

• Like 1

changingman

But I've got an iron block haven't I? lol!!!!!!!

changingman

Well today's eagle eye award goes to you as you are spot on, well spotted mate!

post-9565-0-25160000-1498110417_thumb.png

post-9565-0-10524900-1498110439_thumb.png

• Like 1