• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DATPALEKID

Tu3M 1994 Engine Rebuild/tuning

DATPALEKID

hi there, this is my first post on the forum and im after any advice that anyone can give me here as its an odd topic that doesnt come up!

so my 1994 205 1.4 is due a re build, its done 135k the poor thing and the piston rings have gone, so whilst its out, i want to do a little bit of work to get some more power out of the old girl, as far as i know you cant buy a cam that is actually meant for this engine, any cams ive found are meant for the tu3s/ alloy block engines, so if anyone has ever experienced anything to do with this id appreciate any advice. also, as it is electronically distributed ( and by this i mean the ecu controls the spark and the fuel) id like to know if anyone has converted any of this back to a regular dizzy cap, im after doing this as i cant afford an omex etc and i wont to run bike carbs, although i know that doing this properly would be better id rather just go back to the dizzy for cost effectiveness, also id like to do this as im assuming this is the difference in the cams as in a slot for the dizzy?

any help is greatly appreciated!

post-27608-0-37155000-1498161212_thumb.jpg

trogboy

Hi and welcome,

I don't think your current cam will have a lobe to drive the mechanical fuel pump used on the carbed engines, but I think your head will have the clearance to accept it. Best check for yourself though. Presumably your head has the mounting points for the dizzy?

Before you go down the bike carb route I'd make sure you can find someone to do a good job of tuning that setup.

Ad

DATPALEKID

thanks for the help, yes the head just has a blanking case that goes over where the dizzy is meant to go, im looking into getting a kent pt02 cam, im assuming this is what most people get and does anyone have any experience in what these tu's run like with these in? and yes i can have it all set up at work

calvinhorse

If the PT02 cam is for the tu3s it will fit the tu3m, as said, check it has the lobe for the fuel pump but it's not difficult converting to an electric pump if you do decide to run it on carbs

Your rockers will need adjusting, most people go 0.2mm tolerance for inlets and exhausts (well I do)

Try to find a 4 branch manifold, Citroen Saxo vtr ones can be converted

Saxo vtrs also have a nice lightweight cam pulley

If you do change to the tu3s dizzy set up you can bin your flywheel and fit a tu3s flywheel and clutch to save a lot of weight

allye

Out of interest why are you not fitting a TU3s?

calvinhorse

Agreed with allye, the weight difference is huge

DATPALEKID

thanks for the advice lads, and the simple fact of it is i cant seem to get hold of a tu3s anywhere near me, if i could then i would go for one most likely, but even then id want it rebuilt so its a fresh engine, its just trying to find the right balance for money really

DATPALEKID

also to add to that, im assuming i want the s1 vtr 4 branch exhaust, if this isnt the case, whats the difference between the s1 and s2 manifolds, is there anywhere to easily get hold of the dizzy set up for a tu3s?

calvinhorse

I'm sure all the vtr exhaust stud patterns are the same... you'd have to double check tho

calvinhorse

You need to make sure it's a 4 into 1 manifold otherwise adding an extra part on to go over the subframe will be very difficult

DATPALEKID

i dont know weather this makes a difference and i completely forgot to say, but when the engine is out and gti subframe will be going in which ie already had for a couple months, and yea i have already changed over the hubs and struts! :D

calvinhorse

Just the gear linkage "tower" needs cutting off the tu subframe and welding onto the Gti one, its obvious whennyou have them both in front of you